Sony will NOT be at E3 2019. What does this mean for Shenmue 3?

maybe Sony will make their own event in 2019 to promote the next console
and they could show off some exclusive games that will be available on PS4 and PS5 simultaneously.

i doubt that we will see anything new from Shenmue 3 on a Sony event. Shenmue 3 has a official worldwide publisher,
its not Sonys responsibility to promote the game.

My concern is that the lack of attention will lead to low sales and we'll be waiting another 20 years for a sequel, if one ever was to come.

I hoped Shenmue III would just wrap up the story. Can't deal with the stress again.

I agree, I feel like if they don’t execute the marketing well enough for Shenmue III, we might not get a new game, which would be a shame after all the support the fans gave for the Kickstarter.

But I also hope that if they plan to finish the story in Shenmue III, they don’t rush and try to cram too much of the story into a single game.

I agree, I feel like if they don’t execute the marketing well enough for Shenmue III, we might not get a new game, which would be a shame after all the support the fans gave for the Kickstarter.

But I also hope that if they plan to finish the story in Shenmue III, they don’t rush and try to cram too much of the story into a single game.
I'm sure Yu said he's planning on Shenmue 4. So 3 won't be the end.

So surely it's in everyone's interest to promote it accordingly to give the best chance of making money and a 4th game

They launched Shenmue in 2015, yet we ever saw any news from the game since then at Sony's show. So I can't see it effecting Shenmue III much as I wouldn't believe it would have been shown - Even if it would have been neat.

I do think it's a shame for Sony, I see E3 as a wonderful time of year to focus on what's upcoming and get excited within the industry, in dismissing this big celebration it just sort of lessens the impact and is a real shame IMO.

I'm sure Yu said he's planning on Shenmue 4. So 3 won't be the end.

So surely it's in everyone's interest to promote it accordingly to give the best chance of making money and a 4th game

If the chips all fall in the right place, Shenmue 4 has the potential to change the industry the same way the original two games did. But it would take a monumental, but possible scenario for it to happen.

We all know the next generation of consoles are coming. If Sega has renewed interest in their IP like it appears on the surface, it's possible we can see them backing up Shenmue IV. Where it could change the game is if Yu Suzuki were given the opportunity to develop on the new PSVR2 coming for the PS5. All of the mundane things that Shenmue was known for would be relevant again (picking up items, opening drawers, etc.).

While it's too late in development to consider VR support for Shenmue III, I would really love to see what YS can do with this new VR tech and how it would benefit Shenmue going forward. It would be a great way to "smell" the game world so to speak.

Me personally, it's the idea of an industry pioneer getting to use technology for a vision that he's been trying to create since the 80's finally catching up to speed that really intrigues me. Maybe it's just me though.

It's just a thought and it's really too early to be talking about it, but PSVR2 support for Shenmue IV would be phenomenal.

Last edited:
I'd rather the series be in permanent limbo than end abruptly just to be safe.

My concern is that the lack of attention will lead to low sales and we'll be waiting another 20 years for a sequel, if one ever was to come.

I hoped Shenmue III would just wrap up the story. Can't deal with the stress again.

Whilst I understand where you are coming from, I think you are only looking at all of this from one side of the spectrum, and unfortunately it's the negative half of it all.

Let's start off at the beginning and look at why it's been so long to get Shenmue 3 going. There were so many hurdles to jump over, but all in all, we cleared every single one to get to where we are now, and oh boy did it pay off. First we had to get Yu-san to commit to it, which he did. Sega had to relinquish the rights to their IP for him to make it. Did that. Next up was the funding, and with Sony's help, not only did it get the funding, but it got it so organically. It got the love, not just from loyal fans, but also attracted a major publisher, in the form of Deep Silver, to also come on board for the ride. We know Shibuya also has a hand in the pot, and no doubt Sony will help with the marketing of this game. They will not desert that, as they know it would be a bad PR move. That's all Sony has left to do. They already went above and beyond what they needed to, by giving stage time to announce a Kickstarter on their biggest stage of the year. No one should undermine that gesture, and what did for the success of that Kickstarter awareness.

In regards to the future, and specifically the sales figures of Shenmue 3 to Shenmue 4 development.... You have to realise that this game is already paid for. Like any other business, money is put into creating something up front, as an investment, with the hopes that the money is recuperated, and then continued to roll in to make a profit. Shenmue 3 doesn't have a defecit to pay back. We paid for it, so almost every penny spent across the world on this game is profit, and no doubt will be invested into Shenmue 4. It's essentially free money for YSNET.

Now, if this game sold a modest 100,000 copies at £40 a pop, then that's 4 million on the bank. But hang on, that's not enough to make another game no? Whilst it may seem small, take into consideration that another piece of the hard work is already done; the game engine. That's already done, with the help of Unreal 4. The staff are in place who now have 3 years of working day on and day out with each other. Learning the software. Creating assets. All that stuff is done, and if the worst possible outcome is that Shenmue 4 was made reusing these assets Majora's Mask style, I doubt anyone would be complaining, considering the position we have been in for almost 2 decades.

Ultimately, in terms of another 20 years wait, you really don't need to have that concern. Not at all. Shenmue will see a conclusion to its story, I have zero doubts about that.

In regards to the future, and specifically the sales figures of Shenmue 3 to Shenmue 4 development.... You have to realise that this game is already paid for. Shenmue 3 doesn't have a defecit to pay back. We paid for it, so almost every penny spent across the world on this game is profit, and no doubt will be invested into Shenmue 4. It's essentially free money for YSNET.

Ultimately, in terms of another 20 years wait, you really don't need to have that concern. Not at all. Shenmue will see a conclusion to its story, I have zero doubts about that.

But Peter, we don't know what are the figures that Shibuya and DS invested, it could be far more than this 7 million, so first, it need to sell enough to pay back Shibuya, DS and YS net too for their investment. Afterwards, it needs to make money just to be profitable, that's why Cedric said it need to sell around 1 million copies.

However, I feel this time is different from Dreamcast's times, I think it's the proper time for a game like Shenmue 3 and I'm sure it'll be very good wellcomed.

"Shenmue will see a conclusion to its story" It's just a hunch or you know something more...?

But Peter, we don't know what are the figures that Shibuya and DS invested, it could be far more than this 7 million, so first, it need to sell enough to pay back Shibuya, DS and YS net too for their investment. Afterwards, it needs to make money just to be profitable, that's why Cedric said it need to sell around 1 million copies.

However, I feel this time is different from Dreamcast's times, I think it's the proper time for a game like Shenmue 3 and I'm sure it'll be very good wellcomed.

"Shenmue will see a conclusion to its story" It's just a hunch or you know something more...?

There's no way Shenmue III can be a one off. Cedric himself said that one of the toughest things going from fan to investor/producer is that he now knows the entire story of the series. If momentum keeps going the way it is, it won't be far fetched to see Shenmue IV show up around 2020-2021 when the new systems launch.

It sounds like the budget for Shenmue III could be around 20 million which isn't bad. Either way, Yu Suzuki has went on record to say it was enough to make the full Shenmue III as intended. I'm just anxious to see gameplay of it already.

In regards to the future, and specifically the sales figures of Shenmue 3 to Shenmue 4 development.... You have to realise that this game is already paid for (...) It's essentially free money for YSNET.
While I agree with your general sentiment -- that we don't yet need to worry about the "lack" of promotion and future of the series -- this is almost certainly not the case. The Kickstarter funds are only one portion of the budget for Shenmue III. Any investment on top of that, from Shibuya, from Deep Silver, needs to be recouped, and that's after X% goes to SEGA, 5% goes to Unreal etc.

Shenmue III definitely needs to make money, but as long as it doesn't flop completely, I'm not concerned over the prospect of Shenmue IV. As mentioned, the team's experience in UE4 should streamline the development compared to III, and they could always crowd-fund again. I'd be fine with that.

They could always crowd-fund again. I'd be fine with that.

I agree and I'd happily back it. Question is would it generate the hype that the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter did? Would the majority want to back again not that long (assuming it happens within 3-5 years of 3 coming out) after the end of the previous crowd funding?

It's worth saying Darksiders III was a AA internal game from THQ and I believe they made a recent emark that a simple 100k sold was enough for them to be a success, I think.

I am reasonably certain Shenmue III will reach at least that outside of KS pledges, looking at S1+2 success.

I agree and I'd happily back it. Question is would it generate the hype that the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter did? Would the majority want to back again not that long (assuming it happens within 3-5 years of 3 coming out) after the end of the previous crowd funding?
Both Obsidian and inXile crowd-funded sequels to previously crowd-funded games and I'm pretty sure they both did better than their original campaigns. This is because they delivered good games and the studios had built trust with the fans.

So if Shenmue III is a good game I think they could have another successful campaign worth millions...but 7m+ successful? That seems highly unlikely given the extraordinary circumstances and level of hype surrounding Shenmue III at the time. I don't think that will ever be recaptured by another game (in the foreseeable future).

I think it will not work, if the game does not sell enough after the hype behind III and the rerelease I don't see another crowd funding being as succesful as it was for III. I would probably put money, but because I am a long term fan, but for sure not as much as I did for III.

Sony will be doing their own direct event - its a struggle to get collumn inches (be they paper or digital) for games etc. around E3 because there are so many developments. The flip side is more mainstream media is attracted to cover gaming as its E3.

However with no Sony booth and conference you can bet they will be inserting themselves into 2nd & 3rd party developer conferences and floor space. It makes no sense to essentially hand all the AA/AAA coverage to microsoft at gamings biggest trade show (Ninetendo is its own thing - Im not sure how many games regarded as AAA are on the switch and there isn't a lot of crossover)

So this is more likely to push these 2nd and 3rd party Playstation games to the front, so something like Shenmue could well still be shown. Also with an August 2019 release there could also be some playable demos shown - be they public or behind closed doors for journalists.

As long as the game releases next year. I think Sony not being at E3 next year just means they are saving what they have in store for a later date.

Sony will be doing their own direct event

They could definitely be lying or change their minds, but last I've heard they've outright claimed they won't:

When asked if Sony plans to host an off-site event around E3, similar to Electronic Arts’ EA Play event, Sony Interactive Entertainment senior vice president of communications Jennifer Clark said, “We will not activate or hold a press conference around E3.” A Sony spokesperson further told Polygon, “We will not be programming around E3.”

https://gematsu.com/2018/11/sony-to...-ways-to-engage-playstation-community-in-2019

Sony has been at every single E3, so it's a weird change to see them leave, I have my own theories as to why, but I'm guessing they may shift to a more direct approach to the viewer doing their own thing

They're clearly going the way of Nintendo -- doing their own event(s) where and whenever they feel like it, instead of being forced into a restrictive E3 deadline and timeslot. That's what I got from their ambiguous messaging in the IGN article.

Exactly this, why play by another events rules and time slots.

Also I just got a PS4 so I'm not to familiar with recent Sony consoles or products I never owned a PS3 Skipped most of that console generation for PC, but from the looks of it everything big that's coming out in 2019 has already been announced so an E3 conference would just be a bunch of "Shenmue III is coming" "the Final Fantasy VII remake, that's still coming", "That other game is still coming" ect. I think they will be having their own thing later in 2019-2020 to announce the PS5 or something big.

As far as Shenmue III, who knows if a lack of a trailer at E3 will hurt it in the long run. I personally don't think it would but I don't know. Perhaps Sega will have a panel or not but if so It could still be presented there , even if its not I'm not to worried about it.

Back