Sony's partnership with Yu Suzuki.

I think the situation would be even worse if they'd ported it to the PS2. In order to get it running as well as it was on the Dreamcast (which itself isn't all that well) on the PS2 they'd have to basically rebuild it from the ground up. And then nobody would buy it because they're too busy playing GTA3.

The Xbox was the right platform, with it being (just like the Dreamcast) a co-operative effort between Sega and Microsoft; most Sega properties went to Xbox at the time, mostly for hardware reasons. And there weren't really any competing open-world games on the Xbox at the time either.

What Shenmue II needed was better marketing, because the only people who knew it was out on the Xbox were people who already owned it on the Dreamcast.

I agree. That's why I'm very happy to see Shenmue III on the PS4. I don't want to make any bold predictions, but I'm confident in saying that Shenmue III will be the highest selling game in the entire series. Easily

Nothing against Yakuza 1 for example it is still a good game but I still think Shenmue looks better. Which speaks for the Dreamcast Hardware

Absolutely. Shenmue looks leaps and bounds better than Yakuza 1 and 2. The engine in Shenmue in general was more ahead of it's time than Yakuza. I still love both of those games too so that's no shot at them.

I've heard those rumors about Shenmue being hard to port to the PS2, but I somehow think Yu Suzuki would've been able to have it looking phenomenal due to his programming expertise if given some time.

Last edited:
that is very likely or lets say the chances are great this time. The Shenmue series never has been on a plattform with such a vast user base as the ps4 has. If the quality is great and I do not doubt the quality of the game it should sell well.

The Xbox was the right platform, with it being (just like the Dreamcast) a co-operative effort between Sega and Microsoft; most Sega properties went to Xbox at the time, mostly for hardware reasons. And there weren't really any competing open-world games on the Xbox at the time either.

What Shenmue II needed was better marketing, because the only people who knew it was out on the Xbox were people who already owned it on the Dreamcast.
It was the right hardware, not necessarily the right platform. I don't think there was a perfect platform for Shenmue II -- all three consoles had their pros and cons -- but the Xbox demographic in particular was a poor fit, not just for Shenmue II, but for the majority of SEGA's exclusives, and I don't think marketing would've changed that.

It just wasn't fertile ground for Japanese games, unless you were pushing violence and sex appeal. "Mature" and PC-like games (without the headache/expense) was the Xbox's main appeal, while the PS2 was building on the diversity Sony cultivated with PSX.

I'm not saying it would've been a smash hit on PS2 or GameCube. I just think it had a better chance on Japanese hardware with wider appeal. I think, at the time, SEGA were desperate for cash and making a deal with Xbox for a certain number of exclusives was a short-term solution to that problem...with zero long-term benefits.

It was the right hardware, not necessarily the right platform. I don't think there was a perfect platform for Shenmue II -- all three consoles had their pros and cons -- but the Xbox demographic in particular was a poor fit, not just for Shenmue II, but for the majority of SEGA's exclusives, and I don't think marketing would've changed that.

It just wasn't fertile ground for Japanese games, unless you were pushing violence and sex appeal. "Mature" and PC-like games (without the headache/expense) was the Xbox's main appeal, while the PS2 was building on the diversity Sony cultivated with PSX.

I'm not saying it would've been a smash hit on PS2 or GameCube. I just think it had a better chance on Japanese hardware with wider appeal. I think, at the time, SEGA were desperate for cash and making a deal with Xbox for a certain number of exclusives was a short-term solution to that problem...with zero long-term benefits.
I feel like the PS2 would've been the best fit demographically, but I don't think the hardware could really do it justice. Gamecube probably would've served as the best middle ground, but BLEH at part of the game's legacy being tied to that fanbase... I dunno, guess that's just my anti-Nintendo bias speaking, lmao.

Edit: Also I have nothing against the Xbox, in retrospect it had lots of great Japanese games from Sega and a few other developers. At the time, I just couldn't get over the western focus of the marketing and the fact it was made by a western company, though.

Last edited:
I think the exclusivity part of the deal is timed. Unless Sony invests a large amount of money, independent developers are eventually allowed to release on other consoles. No Man's Sky took longer than most, due to the backlash. But, I believe that eventually you will see Shenmue III on Xbox One (six months minimum probably). Just look to Yu's answers surrounding a Xbox version. He never says never, and he would be legally obligated not to say yes.

On a side note, I picked a "physical" PC edition for my reward, and I've preordered two PS4 physical copies and I will buy the PS4 digital before it is released. I'll also buy physical and digital versions of the Xbox One version when it is released.

Support the game. I want Shenmue 4.

I think the exclusivity part of the deal is timed. Unless Sony invests a large amount of money, independent developers are eventually allowed to release on other consoles. No Man's Sky took longer than most, due to the backlash. But, I believe that eventually you will see Shenmue III on Xbox One (six months minimum probably). Just look to Yu's answers surrounding a Xbox version. He never says never, and he would be legally obligated not to say yes.

On a side note, I picked a "physical" PC edition for my reward, and I've preordered two PS4 physical copies and I will buy the PS4 digital before it is released. I'll also buy physical and digital versions of the Xbox One version when it is released.

Yes u say it right we all should support shenmue 3 as much we can.Thats what I do.I am gonna buying it for ps4 and pc Both version pysical and digital.. And much more copies on the ps4..when it comes later for xbox one then again..or in the Switch but Thats Not happend..Just saying

I hope you're right about this deal being timed!

I was disappointed when I found out that no Xbox One version had been planned. My brother-in-law prefers the Xbox brand and its games over PlayStation and he was the one who introduced me to Shenmue 1 back on the Dreamcast and Shenmue 2 on the original Xbox. Its annoying to know that I'll be playing the third while he'll be missing out on it.

I hope Sony was not that stupid and wasted Money for time exclusivity. This just a waste of Money and pointless. It depends on the gaming demographics if Shenmue 3 Comes to the box or not. Most of the time games like Shenmue are not the most favourite games of the xbox user. Games like Shenmue are rather something for the Playstation People because such games have always been on the playstation consoles.

But never say never. Yu Suzuki did not say a Xbox Version could never happen. The only Question is if a release would be feasible or not.

I just hope it is not time exclusive. Either complete exclusive or not exclusive at all.

Its baffling because didn't Phil state at one point that Shenmue 3 was one of the most requested Xbox games among Xbox users or something to that effect? Yet he wasn't too keen on it coming to his console, and so here we are with just a PS4 console version.

Perhaps with Deep Silver now on board they might eventually consider putting out some extra ports. I say go for it. The more exposure this series receives, the better.

With the similarities between the platforms (x86), there is absolutely no reason to not port a game to both platforms. This is the reality of this generation of consoles. There isn't a massive difference between the systems, unlike the PS3 and 360 there is no large development costs to move a game between the two platforms. Which is why - to gain total "exclusivity" of a third party game on a single platform, requires a huge investment by Sony or Microsoft - buying the development studio outright or essentially pay for the profit of sales on the other platform. Hence, the idea of "timed exclusivity" has become this huge thing this generation. It's a cost effective way to brand a game's identity to a platform and gain an advantage.

The Nintendo Switch, is different since it has a radically different architecture from the other two that it requires a real investment in order to port a game from PS4 or Xbox to the system.

Shenmue 3 will be ported to the Xbox, it is simply a matter of time. I wouldn't recommend waiting for it - just purchase as many copies for as many platforms that you can afford. Looking to spend money on a Christmas or birthday gift for a friend? Buy them a copy of Shenmue 3 whether they will like it or not. It's the only way we will see Shenmue 4.

You know what I think would be stellar? If Sony not only are the ones to post the trailer themselves next week or week after, but come August they decide to make Shenmue I and II free for PS+ members as one of their 2 monthly games.

That would be huge for exposure .

@Crowza What Advantages do you see with timed exclusives from the consumers Point of view? No one will by consoles because because of timed exclusives . They will just wait. So the console Company is just wasting Money for Nothing. Or at worth the Version of the delayed console is better and you have to buy their expensive dlc to ugrade the Version of the day 1 console to have the ulimative Version. It is just a way to get more Money from the day one buyers. Not a very good Thing.

Maybe we are lucky do and YS Net ist doing These shady Business tactics in case they were is going to be a Xbox Version.

@Crowza What Advantages do you see with timed exclusives from the consumers Point of view? No one will by consoles because because of timed exclusives . They will just wait. So the console Company is just wasting Money for Nothing. Or at worth the Version of the delayed console is better and you have to buy their expensive dlc to ugrade the Version of the day 1 console to have the ulimative Version. It is just a way to get more Money from the day one buyers. Not a very good Thing.

Maybe we are lucky do and YS Net ist doing These shady Business tactics in case they were is going to be a Xbox Version.

Who cares if Sony or Microsoft is wasting money ? In fact, timed exclusives for money is a thing they're used to. Heck, they go as far as paying for timed exclusives DLCs. The more people that can buy Shenmue III, the better.

No one will by consoles because because of timed exclusives .

I've seen someone on this very forum that have said that if the PC version is delayed they'll buy a PS4. Also, I'm buying a PS4 for Shenmue III, even though I expect it to be a timed exclusive.

That's at least two people, which is two more than "no one".

With the similarities between the platforms (x86), there is absolutely no reason to not port a game to both platforms. This is the reality of this generation of consoles. There isn't a massive difference between the systems, unlike the PS3 and 360 there is no large development costs to move a game between the two platforms. Which is why - to gain total "exclusivity" of a third party game on a single platform, requires a huge investment by Sony or Microsoft - buying the development studio outright or essentially pay for the profit of sales on the other platform. Hence, the idea of "timed exclusivity" has become this huge thing this generation. It's a cost effective way to brand a game's identity to a platform and gain an advantage.

The Nintendo Switch, is different since it has a radically different architecture from the other two that it requires a real investment in order to port a game from PS4 or Xbox to the system.

Shenmue 3 will be ported to the Xbox, it is simply a matter of time. I wouldn't recommend waiting for it - just purchase as many copies for as many platforms that you can afford. Looking to spend money on a Christmas or birthday gift for a friend? Buy them a copy of Shenmue 3 whether they will like it or not. It's the only way we will see Shenmue 4.
Thats right I also buy as much copies of Shenmue 3 that I can..We all should so it as we can.We needs shenmue 4 and 5 as fast we can get ??

I've seen someone on this very forum that have said that if the PC version is delayed they'll buy a PS4. Also, I'm buying a PS4 for Shenmue III, even though I expect it to be a timed exclusive.

That's at least two people, which is two more than "no one".
I would if the pc version got delayed but not the ps4 version. I want a ps4 eventually anyway lmao

The company isn't wasting money in most cases. The advantage for a company came into play last generation with Call of Duty and the faster release of DLC on Xbox. Even though the games were multiplatform, timed exclusivity gives fans of the series a reason to favor one console over another. Sony learned this lesson well and went head first into the strategy this generation (see Destiny). Problem comes when you back a title that turns out to be less than expected. You want to roll the dice and back something that turns into megahit. But, that is easier said than done.

The contracts usually always involve a stipulation, where they can never admit it was coming to another platform during the exclusivity period. Take No Man's Sky. Early interviews before Sony backed the game, they said several times that it was coming to Xbox. Then, once they accepted the exclusivity period with Sony, they never mentioned it was coming to Xbox again and sidestepped the question (see Yu's response to Shenmue III on Xbox for an identical response). Once they dealt with the backlash and had a better game overall, they released it for Xbox.

From the consumers' point of view, what is the benefit? Not much. I guess smaller studio games like Shenmue III can get a front end capital boost from companies. Which in turn, can helps the fan of the game see it come to fruition. But, I can't think of anything else that benefits the gamers from these decisions. Maybe someone else can.

FYI, I bought a PS4 the right after the Shenmue III announcement.

I am not a fan of time exlusives because the companies doing that screwing over the day buyers a lot. Capcom did that a lot for example. I got the Dreamcast for Re Code Veronica and then the Playstation 2 got a better Version. Some goes again for RE 4 on the Gamecube. The PS2 got the complete Edition in the end.

So I am fan of clear communication from the gaming companies without delivering a incomplete day one Version for the console that got the game first.

Not saying that Yus net is going to do that, but I had my bad experiences with time exlusives so I am not very eager to get this time exlusive games at all. It is better to wait in that case. because the complete version is on the horizon.

Yes the japanese got RE CV Kanzeban but the west did not so. So Code Veronica still remains a good example why do not like time exclusive games. This is just a rip off for day one buyers because the other console will always get a better or different version of the same game.

Back