[SPOILER-FREE] Shenmue III - First Gameplay Details via EDGE

It seems like they, at the very least, watched someone play a fair chunk of the game -- maybe a staged demo -- because parts of the article are literally "Ryo goes here, does X, then Y". However, there are phrases in there that make me think they played it themselves e.g. There's a satisfying, kinetic feel to these mini-games...
I had thought of that, but that feeling may be conveyed through the presentation elements. Stuff like the crack of Ryo hitting the wooden dummy being singled out as a detail gave me this theory, but I'm open to the idea this was indeed hands-on too.

Hearing about the horse stance mini-game made me laugh because, as someone who practices karate, sitting painfully in that stance is all-too familiar :LOL:

Great job @Spaghetti ! Neat summary of the article. Suzuki-san made my heart bleed with that closing statement.

I'm excited about everything, but the affinity system the most. It's like in SI Ryo already had all the perks of having high affinity in his small town, whereas now it'll be the opposite and groundwork needs to be done. It makes sense in progression also if including SII where he's in such a vast city that interactions with NPCs will naturally be focused on showing him directions etc rather than developing actual relations. This system will also make re-plays a lot of fun, I imagine. Psyched!

Interesting the combat sounds very fighting game esque rather than sleeping dogs or arkham, different to what we've been hearing?

I don't see anything here that contradicts what we've been told before. Comparisons with Arkham and Sleeping Dogs only ever came in forum posts, from people who heard Yu describing a "more accessible" combat system and immediately thought "OH, SO IT'S A BUTTON MASHER, IS IT?"

Excellent, it really made me very emotional reading all that. I particularly like that they are going to include some things that are repetitive/mundane (the Affinity System and stamina replenishing) because everything nowadays seems to be entertainment focused only. Shenmue III needs to be special above all, rather than just a game. That's why I'm a fan because Shenmue changed my life by being special. Yu Suzuki understands this crucial difference unlike other developers which is amazing. Sorry for the long rant. Anyway, I'm very impressed.

I particularly like that they are going to include some things that are repetitive/mundane (the Affinity System and stamina replenishing) because everything nowadays seems to be entertainment focused only.
Agreed. The simple, mundane things you do in Shenmue 1 are what make it unique and interesting. So glad to hear that you can actually eat food in this one! SO hyped!!!

There should be an exhausion system like in Persona 3 FES. Fight too many fights for too long for too many days? Stay out late every night? Eat too much? You're now exhausted and it negatively affects your stats. All attacks do 4% less damage, until rested. Each day 1% increase of negative stats until rested or *going to the bathroom, like in Persona lol).

Wait. I forgot I was the only one that liked Persona 3 FES's exhaustion system. :/

Well, just read it, not many spoilers.
I hope that stamina is not actually for the open world segments and just running in combat.

Nah, it sounds like its for everything. Works the same as Yakuza, but instead of a cool down with equipping items, you do it with food or drink.

Well, just read it, not many spoilers.
I hope that stamina is not actually for the open world segments and just running in combat.
I'd like to echo this point just in case people are frightened to buy the magazine for this reason. I tried my best to keep my copy undamaged but it was a struggle since it was packed into a small bag :(

edit- wrong thread!

Last edited:
There should be an exhausion system like in Persona 3 FES. Fight too many fights for too long for too many days? Stay out late every night? Eat too much? You're now exhausted and it negatively affects your stats. All attacks do 4% less damage, until rested. Each day 1% increase of negative stats until rested or *going to the bathroom, like in Persona lol).

Wait. I forgot I was the only one that liked Persona 3 FES's exhaustion system. :/

At first, I thought the exhaustion system is a trick to disallow players to cross what were invisible walls of the combat zone in the original episodes. Moreover, Ryo could already be exhausted in Shenmue 1 after running away from an aggressive boss (who did not do so against Chai?). But I'm expecting a more classic purpose, with complex moves being over-overpowered but requiring a lot of energy to be executed like many other Action RPGs.

At first, I thought the exhaustion system is a trick to disallow players to cross what were invisible walls of the combat zone in the original episodes. Moreover, Ryo could already be exhausted in Shenmue 1 after running away from an aggressive boss (who did not do so against Chai?). But I'm expecting a more classic purpose, with complex moves being over-overpowered but requiring a lot of energy to be executed like many other Action RPGs.

I just what to point out that the official name for this system was called The Fatigue System in Persona 3 FES, in case anyone wants to look up wtf I'm talking about. 99% of fans hate it. I like it because I am weird, I guess.

I like all the information provided in that article. Since the announcement I have tried to keep expectations in check and mostly wait and see. Just in case the game wouldn't turn out as good as we hoped for. Right now, I'm still a bit cautious but this information changed a lot and really made me look forward to the game.
It's great that they managed to give the villagers schedules in the end. They seemed to doubt that at first. About eating, I remember that Yu said before that he wasn't interested in adding this but I'm glad that he did. And the fighting also seems to be more interesting than what was assumed based on earlier interviews.

Back