SPOILERS Shenmue The Animation: Episode 2 - Daybreak - Thread

Really enjoyed that episode. Felt like the pacing was much better, and I’m tickled that they threw the Yamagishi-san park scene in there.

Yes, the first plaque starts "Father, Iwao..." and the other has "Mother, Akane..." The rest of the characters are rather hard to read and are likely to have special Buddhist meanings. (Although the writing on the plaques in the game isn't very clear, I just went back to have another look and these same kanji characters can also be seen there).
Akame is visible in the first game? I don't think I ever knew that! Anything special about the move scroll?

I love the flashback of young Ryo with Iwao in this episode, i really feel we will see more flashbacks like this, this way adding more things to the story, adding more things of Ryo with Iwao.

I remember now that Nozomi received a call from Canada, i love the detail in Nozomi’s room, they put the photo of Ryo with his friends, would be nice to see Ichiro and Naoyuki appearing in the next episode.

i can imagine that the next episodes will be emotional, and the ending of the first game is emotional to me, i think it will have a similar feeling in the anime.

Yesterday i saw a lot of ads about Shenmue on YouTube before some videos, it is so nice to see Shenmue getting the attention and love it deserves.

I love the opening theme/animation and ending theme/animation, we can even see Nozomi and Ryo with the kitten, maybe we will see Megumi-chan and the kitten in the next episode.

I remember one part i even saw some photos near Nozomi and one of the photos is the photo of Nozomi and Ryo in the harbor, beautiful details.

Last edited:
Well, the episode was great. Pacing is still fast, but honestly, It feels not that rushed if you view two episodes in one sitting, so probably watching the whole 4-5 episodes will be the best way of getting this original Shenmue vibe.

Overall hats off to writers for making a smooth transition to human-like characters.

Rewatched the episode. Really enjoyed it and can only imagine how much more cohesive and complete it will feel once we get a chance to marathon through entire first season. A couple of additional thoughts-

- I really enjoyed how they fleshed out Yamagishi. His final scene saying “A father does not show all his faces to his son” I thought was especially poignant and really hits at the heart of the series and Ryo’s desire to discover what happened between Iwao and Zhao.

- I love when hearing of Charlie’s name for first time they use a Dolly zoom exactly like the videogame

Can't even begin to describe how pleased I am with this anime. Episode 2 was just as good, if not better than the first. So many incredible little details from the game. They've handled the detective side of Shenmue absolutely perfectly - just about lost my shit on that shot of the tattoo parlour door, haha. They've even managed to expand on certain things in such an interesting and organic way (Ryo and Nozomi's relationship, Yamagishi-san, Shenhua and the Shenmue III cast etc. etc.).

The only criticism I have thus far, and it's incredibly nit-picky: I'd have liked to have seen Yamagishi-san show Ryo Double Blow first, and see the sake cup shake just like in the game. I've always adored that in Shenmue 1.

It's going to be so hard to wait an entire week between episodes, man. It's just that fucking good!

You can tell the creators of the game know their source material extremely well. Loving all the continued nods to the first game (Wang-san and the vending machine) and was surprised to see Shenmue 3 characters make an early appearance.

They are still framing Ryo's motivation to be clearing his father's name and not explicitly revenge, but the look that Yamagishi saw in Ryo's eyes implies that Ryo will eventually declare his desire for it, I thought.

I'm not sure how interesting I'd find the story so far if I wasn't a fan of the games, but I think the next episode will reveal the Chens and some Phoenix mirror discussion and if I recall that's when I personally felt the hook when playing the game the first time.

Are anime ost releases a thing?
Never watched an anime before lol
(outside of dragon ball and samurai x ofc)
Oh absolutely; it's an easy way to make money off fans! If they didn't do one, i'd be incredibly surprised. I imagine seperate single releases for both opening/ending themes and a seperate OST for the show itself.0

The new arrangement of Shenmue Theme is so beautiful, one of my favorite arrangements of the main theme, the main theme will probably play in every episode.

I was wrong in one post when i said that in this episode we would probably see Russiya China Shop and Xiuyu Xia translating the letter, this will probably happen in the next episode.

I think is possible that the first season will end in the cave scene in Guilin, the beginning of the anime was in the cave part so it will make sense if the anime ends in this part as well.

This episode was so amazing I've watched it two times straight. Ryo is looking amazing and even more badass that in the games. I like how they maintained the main story beats identical but with other characters giving away the main clues to advance the plot while the same time maintaining other elements identical to the game. It gives a fresh prespective for old time fans and new one for those that will play the games for the first time.
I really hope that if we get a Shenmue IV that they hire the same writters from the anime.
Another thing is the little things that you can pick up along each episode like the virtua fighter toys in Ryo's room when he was still a child and the photo of Ryo's friends in Nozomi's desk.
From what i've seen so far I'm certain that the team that worked in the anime are really passionate about the series.
They could really be a great help with the story in Shenmue IV and the development of the characters.
Can't wait for the next episode with Master Chen and Guizhang.

Join James and I as we stream our first reactions LIVE in 1 hour.

We're going in blind once again and haven't seen any spoilers at all!

Should be a good one.

Twitch.tv/shenmuedojo

Youtube.com/shenmuedojoVOD

Join James and I as we stream our first reactions LIVE in 1 hour.

We're going in blind once again and haven't seen any spoilers at all!

Should be a good one.

Twitch.tv/shenmuedojo

Youtube.com/shenmuedojoVOD
I have no idea how you guys have the self-discipline to do this, man! Think I'm going to start doing my 2nd viewings alongside your guys' first reactions.

So we have the next 2 episode names in this link

Shackles and Equal

Don't click the link unless you want major spoilers!

Back