Still Waiting For Steam Shenmue 3 Offline

OK my dedicated fellow Shenmue Fans. This topic of the not so Epic games launcher has been the topic on other threads on this forum as a Shenmue Dojo google search will reveal.

As an original backer I am delighted the instalment is now arrived.

What has crushed my joy in the matter is the infuriating Epic Games Launcher. Not only will it not launch Shenmue 3 offline it continually demands downloading and updating.

It also demands that I re-login my account online.

How long must we wait for the much desired Steam verson?

Gratefully as backer the rewards page updated to provide a Steam key when the version on Steam arrives.

My passion for the Shenmue series is under severe strain. I want to enjoy my experience. Now still waiting for Shenmue Steam Key.

I'd still be cautious on whenever backers will get Steam keys. This isn't a given and I could see Deep Silver pulling a dick move about that.

If you don't want to be tethered to a launcher, why concern yourself with the Steam release when it's going to be available from GOG on the same date?

If you don't want to be tethered to a launcher, why concern yourself with the Steam release when it's going to be available from GOG on the same date?
That's not what tc said. TC said they want the Steam version, not that they don't want any launcher at all. The complaint is specifically with Epic Games Launcher.

I'd still be cautious on whenever backers will get Steam keys. This isn't a given and I could see Deep Silver pulling a dick move about that.
I feel the same. We don't even have our kickstarter backer rewards. I'd be skeptical about getting a key when it hits Steam. That's why I changed my PC copy to a second PS4 copy. I feel bad for anyone that's been waiting this whole time. Hopefully it all goes well for you.

That's not what tc said. TC said they want the Steam version, not that they don't want any launcher at all. The complaint is specifically with Epic Games Launcher.

I feel the same. We don't even have our kickstarter backer rewards. I'd be skeptical about getting a key when it hits Steam. That's why I changed my PC copy to a second PS4 copy. I feel bad for anyone that's been waiting this whole time. Hopefully it all goes well for you.
If they don't give people Steam keys then people being pissed (though remaining calm) is justified in my eyes. I know they said it's possible it may not happen but I really do think it would do some serious damage to the name should they not give people those keys.

As it stands the situation hasn't changed and the intention from YSNET is they will give Steam keys but that could change (I seriously hope it doesn't).

We don't even have our kickstarter backer rewards.

IMO, there shouldn't be any issues getting the steam keys at or around launch.
All digital content for the backer rewards was delivered promptly at the original release last year, it's just the physical rewards that are taking longer. As keys are digital, it shouldn't be an issue. But hey I could be wrong.

Last edited:
IMO, there shouldn't be any issues getting the steam keys at or around launch.
All digital content for the backer rewards was delivered promptly at the original release last year, it's just the physical rewards that are taking longer. As keys are digital, it shouldn't be an issue. But hey I could be wrong.
I really hope somebody reminds them of their obligation a little closer to the time, as I get the impression that they were hoping everything would just blow over and they’d never actually have to deliver on the Steam keys.

I really hope somebody reminds them of their obligation a little closer to the time, as I get the impression that they were hoping everything would just blow over and they’d never actually have to deliver on the Steam keys.
I actually asked this very question and this was the response I got, Joel is normally quite upfront so I'm taking this at face value:

"Steam keys are currently still planned for those backers who manually selected the option through their survey, however, we cannot officially confirm Steam keys will yet be distributed. We'll have to ask you to wait for confirmation for a little while yet. Those backers who did not tick the check box on their survey by the end of the survey resend period (September 20th, 2019 through October 3rd, 2019 ) are not eligible to receive a Steam key."

Watch this space I suppose

Generating steam keys is easy once the game is released, so we should be good

That said, if they don't honor the keys and make headlines again for more bad decision making, the franchise will be severely damaged, and it would have all been self inflicited.

I know a lot of us deep down are worried this may happen. Let's just hope they know what they're doing and they don't screw themselves over again for the 50th time. It really would be indefensible and wrong if they pull something dodgy right at the end, and to be honest, they would deserve the negative consequences of those actions if they did.

Im praying for a smooth and easy steam launch so we can just move on 🙏

Last edited:
The complaint is specifically with Epic Games Launcher.
Not only will it not launch Shenmue 3 offline it continually demands downloading and updating.

Yes, and the OP's criticisms of that launcher are about the invasive DRM management launcher-y things it does. Steam does these things also. I was giving OP the benefit of the doubt that the criticisms weren't just based in pedantic launcher-fanboy-isms. My personal experience is no different between Epic or Steam. (I launch both through GOG galaxy for convenience, anyway.)

If the OP was not aware that the game could act the same way, or similarly, when it's released on Steam, then the option of a DRM-free version through GOG would allow for these potential headaches to be bypassed.

Yes, and the OP's criticisms of that launcher are about the invasive DRM management launcher-y things it does. Steam does these things also. I was giving OP the benefit of the doubt that the criticisms weren't just based in pedantic launcher-fanboy-isms. My personal experience is no different between Epic or Steam. (I launch both through GOG galaxy for convenience, anyway.)

If the OP was not aware that the game could act the same way, or similarly, when it's released on Steam, then the option of a DRM-free version through GOG would allow for these potential headaches to be bypassed.

There's an offline mode on Steam. So no, it's not the same.

What has crushed my joy in the matter is the infuriating Epic Games Launcher. Not only will it not launch Shenmue 3 offline it continually demands downloading and updating.

I still remember when Steam was the same. Couldn't play games offline back then through Steam. Launcher was riddled with bugs too, crashing all the time.
Eventually they got their act together, like I expect Epic to do moving forward.

I'm not justifying what happened though! The point is that you wanted Shenmue 3 on Steam.

The Kickstarter was really badly managed and it will forever tarnish the name of all those associated with it, including Yu Suzuki unfortunately, but to be honest it was also his fault for picking such people to manage the project and to be so out of touch with the backers priorities.

I really hope the Steam keys delivery doesn't become an issue, there were enough issues already with the Kickstarter, we don't need more bad publicity and I don't want to feel ashamed again that Shenmue would treat their fans this way.

I'm not gonna be surprised if they ask for $5 to give out a Steam code. Some minor fuck-up to resurrect the enmity everyone feels for Shenmue 3 now. Hoping it all turns out ok, though. We need a nice one-year anniversary.

There's an offline mode on Steam. So no, it's not the same.
Yeah, that's a laugh. As LemonHaze pointed out, EGS also has an "offline mode," and no, Steam's does not function particularly better, even though it's been around for, what, seven years longer. It regularly causes the same sort of issues for people. DRM storefront launchers just suck. That's the name of the game. Steam sucks. Origin sucks. Uplay sucks. Battle.net sucks. EGS sucks. They all suck.

Yeah, that's a laugh. As LemonHaze pointed out, EGS also has an "offline mode," and no, Steam's does not function particularly better, even though it's been around for, what, seven years longer. It regularly causes the same sort of issues for people. DRM storefront launchers just suck. That's the name of the game. Steam sucks. Origin sucks. Uplay sucks. Battle.net sucks. EGS sucks. They all suck.
Do you game on PC? Have you ever ?

Do you game on PC? Have you ever ?
Do you?
There are a number of options for legitimate DRM-free versions of PC games (GOG, and to a lesser extent now, Humble, for example). Usually I stick to those, where possible, because, like the OP, I don't want to have to deal with all the BS that apps like Steam and EGS present: Extraneous features I don't want, intrusive overlays and notifications by default, DRM check-ins, mandatory updates, etc.

I still put 150 hours into Shenmue III since release, and about 20 hours into Tetris Effect on Epic, with no issues, personally, aside from the typical anti-consumer issues that go hand in hand with these sorts of launchers. It causes me no extra hassle to launch from Epic than it would from Steam, or Origin, or Xbox app, etc, etc, etc. (Like I said, I just open them all up from GOG galaxy, anyway.)

In any event, the system requirements for Shenmue III, as soon as they were made public last year, mentioned requiring an internet connection. It's possible that since the game will be released on GOG at the same time as Steam, that the Steam version won't require check-ins for DRM, but that's not guaranteed.

Well, you're more likely able to mod Shenmue 3 if its offline, therefore I support that. I want to skin swap Lan Di and his three goons with some of those Rose Garden fighters. Most of them have distinctive fighting styles. Shilie Attai should be swapped with the big goon who bear hugs Ryo. Lan Di should be swapped with the former champ. The Raging Buffalo and the Muy Thai guy should be swapped with the other two.

Back