Story Centric Shenmue

Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Strider (2014)
Since the main complaint against Shenmue III was its lack of story progression, I wonder how people would feel if it went in the exact opposite direction for Shenmue IV? What is ironic is that if no publisher had gotten involved with Shenmue III, Yu Suzuki stated that’s what we would’ve gotten. Given that Shenmue IV might see a smaller development budget (if it gets made), this is a very real possibility. Like I have said in the past, I am a Suzuki Shenmue loyalist so I will go where ever his vision goes, but what about the rest of you?

I think one thing that is missing when people read into many fans criticism of the story of Shenmue 3 is they think it’s simply a case not enough story was told. Rather I would postulate the bigger issue was the execution of said story. I think if they had provided more characterization of existing cast, added real stakes to the story and removed narrative repetition, I think many of us would be much happier with the end product.

Last edited:
Yes, I fully expect this to happen. Not only because the story was a common complaint in the third game, but because I imagine there's got to be some pressure or desire to get the entire story done with sooner than later— compressing it rather than expanding it. Essentially, I predict Shenmue IV will be the new Shenmue II: denser, tighter, more action-packed and overall a bit more of a "crowd pleaser" relative to its more sedate predecessor.

Since the main complaint against Shenmue III was its lack of story progression, I wonder how people would feel if it went in the exact opposite direction for Shenmue IV? What is ironic is that if no publisher had gotten involved with Shenmue III, Yu Suzuki stated that’s what we would’ve gotten. Given that Shenmue IV might see a smaller development budget (if it gets made), this is a very real possibility. Like I have said in the past, I am a Suzuki Shenmue loyalist so I will go where ever his vision goes, but what about the rest of you?
Personally I liked shenmue 3 it was bigger and "maybe" better (im not sure) than shenmue 1 (my favorite shenmue) the only problem I got with this game is every character in this game are not memorable remember shenmue 1 and shenmue 2 character they were all very well written and we can still remember them today but for shenmue 3 I didn't even know the name of "key" character but overall the game was really good for me and they can do the same for shenmue 4 it wouldn't bother me the only thing I want is better character writing

I’m really hoping they cram a lot of story into the 4th game and don’t think there necessarily needs to be a series of main villains to drive the story along.

In my eyes the game would be great if....
They stop off in a town near to the cliff temple (Baisha) to come up with a plan. Upon arriving, they find that the locals are having trouble with the CYM. Ryo saves an elderly Marshall artist from a group of CYM and learns that the man actually knew Iwao (who had also stopped off in the town on his way to the cliff temple 20 years ago). Ryo actually asks some questions about his father and we learn why he was traveling through China. The man suggests that there might be others who remember Iwao and Ryo speaks to 2/3 other martial artists who knew and trained with Iwao and talking with them fills in many of the gaps in the story. They also teach you a few moves (because there wasn’t anywhere near enough of that in S3) and that the best fighters bide their time while reading their opponents’ movements before striking at the ideal moment instead of just throwing their fists around (as we’ve seen with every master we’ve encountered so far).

After learning all there is to learn in Baisha, the town is invaded by CYM (think 70 man battle) and Ryo and the other martial artists have to fight them off. The group succeeds, but one of them is killed in the process (at the moment it really feels like the stakes are very low considering how dangerous some of these gangs are supposed to be). This tells the player that we’re not fucking around anymore and that the CYM aren’t just another punk gang. As with Shenhua in S3, the nighttime scenes here are used to develop Ren’s character a little more.

After the battle, the group decide to head to the temple. Ren decides to infiltrate the castle by himself and open a side entrance but gets caught and locked up. Ryo has to fight his way through the temple and finds that Ren is locked up with none other than Niao San.

The group form an uneasy alliance after she agrees to tell them where in the temple she hid the mirror and after retrieving it they work their way through the temple towards the dragon mirror. Just as they arrive however, she tries to attack Ryo but is stopped by Ren who pulls out his knife. She’s too fast for him though and manages to disarm him and comes at Ryo with the knife. After a QTE scene, Ryo dodges and incapacitates her before heading into the room where the dragon mirror is kept.

Of course, Lan Di is waiting for them as he thinks they are heading there with the Phoenix mirror. A fight ensues, but unlike last time Ryo is able to land a few blows. Lan Di gets serious and floors Ryo, taking the Phoenix mirror. He now sees him as a threat and decides its time to finish him off for good, but, at the last second, Ren steps in and stabs Lan Di. Lan Di kills Ren, but as he is wounded and now has both mirrors, decides to leave and heads back to Tentei.

Ryo carries Ren back to Baisha and they burn his body in a giant treasure chest shaped coffin. Through his grief and the following conversations with Shenhua, he begins to realize the consequences of his choice to pursue vengeance and even spots the parallels between himself and Lan Di. For the first time in his journey he begins to question the path he’s taken and decides that he needs to find out the truth about what happened between Iwao and Sunming Zhao.

The game takes us on a train to meng sun. Ryo arrives to find no information but soon finds himself in trouble with the local CYM. He ends up their prisoner and is taken to their leader in that area, Ziming Hong. After realizing their connection through the pendant that LT gave Ryo, Ziming reveals that he is still working to take down the CYM and avenge his family and points Ryo to a small village nearby.

After asking around in the village, Ryo is sent to speak with a reclusive man who lives on the edge of town. When Ryo asks if he knows anything about Sunming Zhao, the man’s demeanor changes. He asks who Ryo is and why he’s asking and, after Ryo explains, tells Ryo that he hasn’t heard that name in a long time. Yes, of course, this man is Sunming Zhao and he is very much alive. Fin.

I think this would set up S5 to cleanly wrap up the series. We learn about the true power of the mirrors from SZ at the beginning, travel to the place where the mirrors are going to be used (maybe back to Hong Kong), meet the 4th CYM leader, have a big showdown between the CYM with Ziming showing his true colors and Lan Di performing a heel turn when he realizes that his father is still alive. Ryo confronts Tentei (Zu Yuanda) and we learn Shenhua’s true power (she’s key to stopping whatever it is the mirrors do).

Sorry. I’m bored at work.

Last edited:
I would honestly buy 4 if that is the plot. Someone make this guy above me, the head writer for the next game though I'm not sure if a 5 is going to be realistic and secondly, Zu Yuanda being kidnapped by the chiyoumen would have to be explained if he is the big boss the whole time along with hiding from the Yellow Heads for that little twist to work though.

I would honestly buy 4 if that is the plot. Someone make this guy above me, the head writer for the next game though I'm not sure if a 5 is going to be realistic and secondly, Zu Yuanda being kidnapped by the chiyoumen would have to be explained if he is the big boss the whole time along with hiding from the Yellow Heads for that little twist to work though.
It was Zu’s man at the pawn shop who first sent you to Yellow Head HQ to be locked up and his other man Zang that sent you to the Ghost Hall Building for what may well have been another trap (thankfully Ryo escapes). We know that Zu is in the Yellow Head building, but we don’t know that he is a prisoner there.

He then sends us to Bailu village where there are again thugs lying in wait and then sends Zang to check up on us and keep track of the mirror in the recently released DLC.

Also, Shenhua doesn’t stop the power from being unleashed but actually has the power trapped within her and the mirrors are the key to it escaping.

It was Zu’s man at the pawn shop who first sent you to Yellow Head HQ to be locked up and his other man Zang that sent you to the Ghost Hall Building for what may well have been another trap (thankfully Ryo escapes). We know that Zu is in the Yellow Head building, but we don’t know that he is a prisoner there.

He then sends us to Bailu village where there are again thugs lying in wait and then sends Zang to check up on us and keep track of the mirror in the recently released DLC.

Also, Shenhua doesn’t stop the power from being unleashed but actually has the power trapped within her and the mirrors are the key to it escaping.
Send this to YSNET with your CV. Can't hurt right?!

Really like the ideas there.

Send this to YSNET with your CV. Can't hurt right?!

Really like the ideas there.
I’d love to be involved and like to think I could really make a difference on a few different fronts, but their previous job postings have made it pretty clear that applicants should speak business level Japanese, which I’m not even close to. I guess it couldn’t hurt to try, but I’d probably have to get my wife to translate everything for me.

To be fair, I have faith that Yu will learn from the mistakes of 3 anyway and am really looking forward to seeing what he and the team come up with. As long as we don’t have the yellow gibbons or the black scorpions, I’m sure I’ll be happy

I’d love to be involved and like to think I could really make a difference on a few different fronts, but their previous job postings have made it pretty clear that applicants should speak business level Japanese, which I’m not even close to. I guess it couldn’t hurt to try, but I’d probably have to get my wife to translate everything for me.

To be fair, I have faith that Yu will learn from the mistakes of 3 anyway and am really looking forward to seeing what he and the team come up with. As long as we don’t have the yellow gibbons or the black scorpions, I’m sure I’ll be happy
Being serious for a moment. As I understand it the listings page on the YSNET page might be out of date, it might be worth dropping them a line directly if you were going to do anything like that.

Being serious for a moment. As I understand it the listings page on the YSNET page might be out of date, it might be worth dropping them a line directly if you were going to do anything like that.
I’ll give it some thought, I suppose. Part of me would love to be involved with my favorite IP of all time while the other would hate to have the story ruined before I got to play the game for myself 😂

I’ll give it some thought, I suppose. Part of me would love to be involved with my favorite IP of all time while the other would hate to have the story ruined before I got to play the game for myself 😂
Maybe yu suzuki will like it and he will throw his shenmue script in the toilet and replace it with your story 🤣

I’m really hoping they cram a lot of story into the 4th game and don’t think there necessarily needs to be a series of main villains to drive the story along.

In my eyes the game would be great if....
They stop off in a town near to the cliff temple (Baisha) to come up with a plan. Upon arriving, they find that the locals are having trouble with the CYM. Ryo saves an elderly Marshall artist from a group of CYM and learns that the man actually knew Iwao (who had also stopped off in the town on his way to the cliff temple 20 years ago). Ryo actually asks some questions about his father and we learn why he was traveling through China. The man suggests that there might be others who remember Iwao and Ryo speaks to 2/3 other martial artists who knew and trained with Iwao and talking with them fills in many of the gaps in the story. They also teach you a few moves (because there wasn’t anywhere near enough of that in S3) and that the best fighters bide their time while reading their opponents’ movements before striking at the ideal moment instead of just throwing their fists around (as we’ve seen with every master we’ve encountered so far).

After learning all there is to learn in Baisha, the town is invaded by CYM (think 70 man battle) and Ryo and the other martial artists have to fight them off. The group succeeds, but one of them is killed in the process (at the moment it really feels like the stakes are very low considering how dangerous some of these gangs are supposed to be). This tells the player that we’re not fucking around anymore and that the CYM aren’t just another punk gang. As with Shenhua in S3, the nighttime scenes here are used to develop Ren’s character a little more.

After the battle, the group decide to head to the temple. Ren decides to infiltrate the castle by himself and open a side entrance but gets caught and locked up. Ryo has to fight his way through the temple and finds that Ren is locked up with none other than Niao San.

The group form an uneasy alliance after she agrees to tell them where in the temple she hid the mirror and after retrieving it they work their way through the temple towards the dragon mirror. Just as they arrive however, she tries to attack Ryo but is stopped by Ren who pulls out his knife. She’s too fast for him though and manages to disarm him and comes at Ryo with the knife. After a QTE scene, Ryo dodges and incapacitates her before heading into the room where the dragon mirror is kept.

Of course, Lan Di is waiting for them as he thinks they are heading there with the Phoenix mirror. A fight ensues, but unlike last time Ryo is able to land a few blows. Lan Di gets serious and floors Ryo, taking the Phoenix mirror. He now sees him as a threat and decides its time to finish him off for good, but, at the last second, Ren steps in and stabs Lan Di. Lan Di kills Ren, but as he is wounded and now has both mirrors, decides to leave and heads back to Tentei.

Ryo carries Ren back to Baisha and they burn his body in a giant treasure chest shaped coffin. Through his grief and the following conversations with Shenhua, he begins to realize the consequences of his choice to pursue vengeance and even spots the parallels between himself and Lan Di. For the first time in his journey he begins to question the path he’s taken and decides that he needs to find out the truth about what happened between Iwao and Sunming Zhao.

The game takes us on a train to meng sun. Ryo arrives to find no information but soon finds himself in trouble with the local CYM. He ends up their prisoner and is taken to their leader in that area, Ziming Hong. After realizing their connection through the pendant that LT gave Ryo, Ziming reveals that he is still working to take down the CYM and avenge his family and points Ryo to a small village nearby.

After asking around in the village, Ryo is sent to speak with a reclusive man who lives on the edge of town. When Ryo asks if he knows anything about Sunming Zhao, the man’s demeanor changes. He asks who Ryo is and why he’s asking and, after Ryo explains, tells Ryo that he hasn’t heard that name in a long time. Yes, of course, this man is Sunming Zhao and he is very much alive. Fin.

I think this would set up S5 to cleanly wrap up the series. We learn about the true power of the mirrors from SZ at the beginning, travel to the place where the mirrors are going to be used (maybe back to Hong Kong), meet the 4th CYM leader, have a big showdown between the CYM with Ziming showing his true colors and Lan Di performing a heel turn when he realizes that his father is still alive. Ryo confronts Tentei (Zu Yuanda) and we learn Shenhua’s true power (she’s key to stopping whatever it is the mirrors do).

Sorry. I’m bored at work.

If shenmue 4 never gets released I'm happy to accept this as the continuation 😂

When will we get the shenmue 5 script? 👀

That's really close minded though. What if it's a great game ?
They could made a great RTS with Shenmue IV and I will be out of the series no matter how great it could be. Everybody has a line, I am suffering it with Yakuza 7 for expample, hate turn based RPGs, so it is a hard line to cross. Same with Quantic Dreamesque kind of games

Back