Stumbled upon a new Japanese interview w/ Yu Suzuki?

Favourite title
Shenmue IIx
Currently playing
Ghost of Tsushima
PSN
mjqjazzbar

Could be old as hell for all I know. Nearly 2 hours of content... Might be worth delving into if you understand Japanese. I don't and I never will (regrettably). Not exactly sure why a company called Central Engineering is interviewing him or if they're even discussing Shenmue. Apologies if this is not relevant to this subforum, but my Japanese is nonexistent.

Last edited:
I seriously just sat through 25 minutes of an interview I don't understand a single word of just so I could maybe hear the words "Shenmue 4." There might be something wrong with me...
The Dojo is turning into a support group for Shenmue addicts.

Fyi for anyone interested, the actual interview with Yu seems to start around 5:45 in the first video. I'm attempting to watch with Google's spaghetti translation captions.

So ready for more relaxed beef

Fyi for anyone interested, the actual interview with Yu seems to start around 5:45 in the first video. I'm attempting to watch with Google's spaghetti translation captions.
Speaking of spaghetti, is Spaghetti coming back? So many Shenmue 3 debates to be had and I fear they’ll all have ended by now...

Ah, so it's doubtful we'll hear anything new. Thanks for the background. Wish we could get some post-release interviews now that we're 2 months--almost 3 months--out.

This is an old interview from October. What's interesting, the interviewer is Masaya Matsukaze, the Japanese voice actor of Ryo. He just happens to be a host of this radio show that interviews various "legendary engineers" right now.
Anything else interesting in this interview?

I can't understand a word of the interview, but I took that as a joke.

Anything else interesting in this interview?
I only skimmed through the videos. I'm not going to be summarizing everything since I am not proficient in neither Japanese nor English.
They talked about his arcade games, about the unique features of Shenmue that modern developers do not copying for one reason or another, about the meeting with Steven Spielberg, about how many times he has appeared in the Guinness Book (he doesn't remember. lol) etc. Most his fans probably already know all this.
He also said that he is tight-lipped about Shenmue 3 'cause it would be risky/troublesome to talk about so close to the release date.

Doing my daily Google for random terms related to this series. Is this new?

Another fairly new one?

――Please tell us what you want to do in the future.

We have a lot.

“Shenmu” was a big part of doing it with a sense of responsibility to the fans, but originally I want to make something different every time.

For one, it doesn't look like a pattern, but I want to create a fantasy.

This isn't something that has just started, but since about 25 years ago, I've finally wanted to do fantasy.

By 1995, what I wanted to do most was fantasy.

But fantasy has many escapes.

For example, even if a vehicle behaves messed up, it will escape because of such a thing.

There are many technical escapes, so it's not very good in terms of training yourself.

I did technical training on a stage where there was no escape, and I wanted to create a proper fantasy based on that know-how.

If I thought that the first work was on a real route, it would have been 20 years (laughs).

Original text since the translation is pretty hard to understand:

たくさんあります。

『シェンムーⅢ』はファンに対する責任感でやったという面が大きかったのですが、本来は毎回違うものを作りたいんです。

ひとつは、ちょっと柄じゃないように見えるけど、ファンタジーを作ってみたい。

これはいまに始まったことじゃなくて、25年前くらいから、最終的にはファンタジーをやりたいと思っていました。

1995年くらいには、一番やりたいのはファンタジーだったんですよ。

でもファンタジーって逃げ道が多い。

例えば乗り物が滅茶苦茶な挙動してても、そういうものだからって逃げられちゃう。

技術的に逃げ場が多いから、自分を鍛えるという意味ではあまり良くない。

逃げ場のない舞台で技術訓練をして、そのノウハウをベースに、ちゃんとしたファンタジーを作ってみたいと考えて、まず最初に逃げ場のない『シェンムー』を作ったんですが……。

第一作は現実路線で~と考えていたら、20年経ってしまいました(笑)。

My search terms:

1. "鈴木裕" "シェンムー"
2. "株式会社YSNET"

In case anyone else is bored someday.

Back