Sword of 7 Stars Confusion.

Well I think it’s cheating to retcon stuff and the audience should not accept it.

Imagine if at the start of Shenmue 3 we saw Iwao Hazuki working at the Prize Exchange at the Panda Market and said “Oh hello son, want to exchange your tokens for prizes?”

Sukuki could say “oh we wanted to go a different road so I changed the story so that Iwao is actually alive and all this time Ryo was just avenging the cat in Yamanose that Lan Di ran over.”

Also one of the reasons I wanted Shenmue 3 was to just see Ryo and Shenhua exist in their world after witnessing magic. They would be fundamentally changed as people and I wanted to see that.
You're being way over the top.

OK you wanted to see magic but back in the day many didn't following the Shenmue Online stuff. So they changed it.

You're being way over the top.

OK you wanted to see magic but back in the day many didn't following the Shenmue Online stuff. So they changed it.
Yu Suzuki shouldn’t listen to the fans. Not one bit.

We the fans don’t even know what the hell we want, if we did we would have written our own conclusion to the story a long time ago.

Everything the fans want is fundamentally looking backward (Mr. Suzuki-San you GOTTA put in forklifts in S3 they were so cool, Suzuki San you GOTTA put Chai in S3 he was so cool, Suzuki you gotta be able to call Nozomi and Tom in S3 we loved those characters, Suzuki we loved the arcade in the first games please put in 3 arcades in S3…. oh and we loved how realistic and life simulator Shenmue is please keep it realistic and no magic!

We don’t want a Shenmue fan game, we want the unadulterated Shenmue game that exists in the genius mind of Yu Sukuki.

We the fans don’t even know what the hell we want, if we did we would have written our own conclusion to the story a long time ago.

Everything the fans want is fundamentally looking backward (Mr. Suzuki-San you GOTTA put in forklifts in S3 they were so cool, Suzuki San you GOTTA put Chai in S3 he was so cool, Suzuki you gotta be able to call Nozomi and Tom in S3 we loved those characters, Suzuki we loved the arcade in the first games please put in 3 arcades in S3…. oh and we loved how realistic and life simulator Shenmue is please keep it realistic and no magic!

We don’t want a Shenmue fan game, we want the unadulterated Shenmue game that exists in the genius mind of Yu Sukuki.

I'm trying to see the negatives of those points you made.

- It was pleasant to have phone calls to be able to see what some of our beloved characters have been up to. Are you saying you don't care for the characters we bonded with in the first two games?

- Chai was probably already going to be in S3 anyway. He was in the boat chapter and he is known to tail Ryo and is dedicated to Lan Di. He wasn't really going anywhere.

- Forklift was a fan tribute sure, but the game was funded BY fans and it was made FOR the fans.

Yu is between a rock and a hard place. Whatever he does is going to be wrong in some way.

With the exception of the story not being as altogether "there" as we'd hoped I really enjoyed my time with S3.

Reactions: JP_

By that estimation he shouldn't listen to the fans wanting more story then.

By that estimation he shouldn't listen to the fans wanting more story then.
But the only reason the fans are asking for more story is due to concerns that there may not be another game and the story will never be finished. In a perfect world there would be 11 Shenmue games (1 for each chapter) and each game -by itself- would have minimal story.

I'm trying to see the negatives of those points you made.

- It was pleasant to have phone calls to be able to see what some of our beloved characters have been up to. Are you saying you don't care for the characters we bonded with in the first two games?

- Chai was probably already going to be in S3 anyway. He was in the boat chapter and he is known to tail Ryo and is dedicated to Lan Di. He wasn't really going anywhere.

- Forklift was a fan tribute sure, but the game was funded BY fans and it was made FOR the fans.

Yu is between a rock and a hard place. Whatever he does is going to be wrong in some way.

With the exception of the story not being as altogether "there" as we'd hoped I really enjoyed my time with S3.
I liked Shenmue 3 as well. I liked all the fan service stuff except for having to fight backers (wearing glasses 🤓) right before Lan Di.

There is still magic going on in Shenmue 3.

Yes, the cave scene is now abridged. However, in both Shenmue 3 and the anime, you still see the phoenix mirror gathering-up its power before shooting a beam of energy to the (offscreen) sword. This is all happening while Shenhua is reciting an old prophecy about a destined encounter with a literal Chosen One.

Shenmue 3 also features conversations about destiny, prophecy, Shenhua's past life in the Emperor's royal city, her ability to 'communicate' with nature, and a royal treasure which is heavily-implied to be cursed (it needs to be hidden away because it leads people to violence and hatred). They even brought back the bad ending from Shenmue 2 where Lan Di kills (?) Ryo in a dream. The mystical elements are definitely still there in Shenmue 3.

I can really only speak as someone who played the games back to back a couple years ago, but I had always interpreted the end of shenmue 2 as being a overly dramatized ending rather than a literal one, even before I played 3. Most likely a attempt to show where the series was headed with its mystical elements rather than a genuine continuation. Shenmue 1&2 both have mystical themes and moments but they are pretty subtle and build throughout. In shenmue 1 when you first start hearing about these elements it feels as if they are nothing more than story’s passed down however as the story continues more of these elements take center stage and retroactively the magical stuff feels much more important. You can argue that they made their bed with how they portrayed things in 2’s ending and should have stuck with it. But for me the mystical elements in 3 feel like a more natural continuation of how 1 and most of 2 handled it than what the end of 2 portrays.

I’m a stickler for continuity, but in the case of the Sword, it’s not a blatant retcon, if it even has been. The cutscene at the start of 3 isn’t even particularly needed, as on a second playthrough it’s actually skipped entirely. So I feel that it’s just adding context to the start of a new game and where the characters have come from, so that the game doesn’t just boot to Ryo and Shenhua walking down a random path to new players. Just because the floating sword didn’t show in the remade cutscene doesn’t necessarily mean it’s no longer cannon imo, since it hasn’t been stated otherwise you can make up your own canon for it 😋. I like to think that after the Sword fell down from floating it lost it’s power and shrunk so now Shenhua can keep it on her possession and use it as the key in the Bell Tower! Simple, now lets move onto Shenmue 4 😇
Am I the only one who didn’t give a toss about the sword shrinking? I didn’t even notice until people online pointed it out.

I agree with Jim that it’s best to think about the new version of the cave sequence as just abridged or something, rather than retconned, and just move on. For me the II ending remains glorious and I prefer thinking of it that way anyway.

Back