Takumi Hagiwara (Ren): 1999 Interview & Current Whereabouts

Switch

Shenmue analysis at www.phantomriverstone.com
This is a translation of a 1999 magazine interview with the Japanese voice and motion actor for Wuying Ren in Shenmue II, Takumi Hagiwara.

What became of Hagiwara after he disappeared from the public eye following the game's release is a mystery. I've gathered as much information as I could find on this topic in the blog post, but it is seemingly still unresolved to this day.

https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2021/07/takumi-hagiwara-ren-1999-interview.html

g2197.jpg

Last edited:
Brilliant post as usual @Switch! Please note the URL seems to be incorrect.

A couple of quick points-

image999.jpg

In all my years of looking at Shenmue art work, beta screens ect I don’t think I’ve ever come across this image. It almost looks like early render, do you recall the origin of this image?

But I think seeing how his feelings begin to change after meeting Ryo and Shenhua will also be something noteworthy to watch for. Looking back on it now, I have a feeling that Ren will live on in everyone's heart as a really distinctive character.

Crazy to think the Shenmue premiere spelled out ending of Shenmue 3 and events presumedly going to be seen in Shenmue 4!

It is a shame Hagiwara disappeared because his performance as Ren in Shenmue 2 was amazing and really elevated that game.

Brilliant post as usual @Switch! Please note the URL seems to be incorrect.
Thanks - fixed it up!

In all my years of looking at Shenmue art work, beta screens ect I don’t think I’ve ever come across this image. It almost looks like early render, do you recall the origin of this image?
Hm, I don't recall it either. I did find a version of it on the Shenmue Master website which looks to be original quality (in fact I might update the post with this one!) - they may be able to advise where it's from:
https://www.shenmuemaster.com/personnages/ren-wuying/

Crazy to think the Shenmue premiere spelled out ending of Shenmue 3 and events presumedly going to be seen in Shenmue 4!
Yes, it's really reassuring that the original planned story flow is slowly being unveiled, after all these years.

What on earth?! The guy got involved with the mafia? Really awesome though that Matsukaze was trying to find him.

Back