The Best Moves

Jigen

Man Mo Journeyman
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Persona 5
So I'm preparing to do my personal playthroughs of I & II leading up to III and the plan is to take it a little more slowly this time around and I wanted to train some moves to max potential in both games and I wondered what in your opinions are some of the best moves to max out?

Mud Spider because of the flippy shit he does.

Double blow as the second animation is nice and it sends enemies flying.

The kick Guizhang teaches you has a nice variation too.

Edit: Swallow Dive that's the name

Last edited:
Elbow assault is my go to move. With the exception of the Chai fight at the arcade you can beat any opponent simply by spamming it. It kind of takes the fun out of fighting though as it’s so overpowered.

Elbow assault is my go to move. With the exception of the Chai fight at the arcade you can beat any opponent simply by spamming it. It kind of takes the fun out of fighting though as it’s so overpowered.

The Chai fight at the arcade isn't even an exception.

Elbow Assault is by far the best move in general in both games. The other move I've found to be unreasonably effective is the Katana Mist Slash, both faster and with a better range than the Elbow Assault (but slightly less powerful).

Pit Blow is interesting as it gives you an extra elbow when fully trained. Double Blow and Swallow Dive are a bit more satisying when levelled up too.

As for Shenmue II, you'll also want to level Iron Palm, Lunging Strike, Hind Blow, Brawling Uppercut, and of course Machinegun Fist.

The Chai fight at the arcade isn't even an exception.

Elbow Assault is by far the best move in general in both games. The other move I've found to be unreasonably effective is the Katana Mist Slash, both faster and with a better range than the Elbow Assault (but slightly less powerful).

Pit Blow is interesting as it gives you an extra elbow when fully trained. Double Blow and Swallow Dive are a bit more satisying when levelled up too.

As for Shenmue II, you'll also want to level Iron Palm, Lunging Strike, Hind Blow, Brawling Uppercut, and of course Machinegun Fist.
To be fair, I’d much rather use the counter elbow assault as it’s both more powerful when fully trained and more satisfying to pull off. Unfortunately, the lack of training in Shenmue 2 makes it nearly impossible to get it up to a high enough level to compete with the regular variant.

I’m really excited for the opportunity to train in different dojos in Shenmue 3. What I’d give for a save file transfer to continue my progress from the first two games though. I know they’ve said it won’t happen, but I can’t imagine it would be too complicated. Perhaps they don’t have the licenses to carry over some of the capsule toys or something, but I’d be happy losing the unlicensed ones.

Back