The castle area

So I thought the whole castle seige was the weakest part of the game and it was a shame it was moment it ended on

I can only assume that is was a heavily compromised version of what was planed

I mean you fight a crowd on the bridge which just didn't work with the new fight engine it was just really easy and repetitive and you couldn't even backtrack to help out ren as an invisible wall blocks you wtf

Then another dull fight at the stairs then Mr muscle on the next floor then the Kickstarter peaple

While it cuts away at random moments to some pretty cringe slapstick scenes which made no sense as they was going on in the area we had just cleared I mean what the hell was with the broom lady and fatman scene she hits some guy on the head that is casually walking up to the fat man in a none conformational way he throws him into the river and they do the same thing again and then it happens one more time for luck I mean it wasn't funny the first time wtf

Then we get the big boss guys who went down in the qte scene and they went down easyer than anyone else in the whole series then we have a fixed fight with Lan di

I can only assume that something better was planned but due to time and budget this is all we got

Wasn't this ment to have an almost RTS style strategic element originally I'd love to have seen what that would of looked like

Last edited:
I guess they ran out of time and budget so Baisha became this weird "fortified castle". The one thing I don't get is why not let us beat Mr Muscles in a free battle? You fight him in free battle 2 times before, why not let us kick his ass in free battle?

If Yu absolutely wanted to end the fight with the Booty Bump move, then fine, make it a free battle and put the Booty Bump QTE at the end.

I think it's pretty safe to say Shenmue 4 will feature Baisha considering the Yu's local research in China, the early UE4 models we've seen and the even-earlier Kenji's artworks. Seems to be a crucial location from Yu's perspective.

Now the problem is the timing. Baisha was supposed to be the climax of Shenmue 3. How are they going to rebuild the story with enough finesse not to notice the Frankenstein sutures? Is Baisha going to be the second/last location again? Unfortunately, there's no guarantee the result leads to something good.

I'm personally convinced that there was going to be a big reveal about the Chi You Men or the mirrors but then it got cut to not come off as being rushed. IMHO if Baisha is going to be in the game, I'd imagine it as an action-based "prologue" instead of a finale as it was meant to be.

But frankly, it seems more possible it'll be "replaced" completely to me.

I remember the only cut area that developers talked about was a boat chapter that was going to happen between Bailu and Niaowu chapters.
● Were there any maps or areas you designed that ultimately went unused in Shenmue III?

KG:
There was one map that was briefly seen in the first trailer, which included a boat on the river travelling from Bailu to Niaowu. Even unfinished it looked pretty good, but it wasn’t necessary for the story, so it was eventually cut.

I believe that this whole theory that the castle area was supposed to be longer and bigger is wrong.

I remember the only cut area that developers talked about was a boat chapter that was going to happen between Bailu and Niaowu chapters.

I believe that this whole theory that the castle area was supposed to be longer and bigger is wrong.
Cedric said himself that the castle/ending wasn't what they planned

Cedric said himself that the castle/ending wasn't what they planned
Maybe he was actually talking about an idea that was cut when the game was in pre production.(Since in concept phase lots and lots of ideas get changed/removed. From level design to story to character models.)

When Shenmue 3 was in full development the only cut area was that boat section according to developers.So even if the castle was supposed to be longer it was an idea that was cut early in development.(Similar to a Hutt planet in Star Wars Kotor 1 that was cut when the game was early in development.)

Video Games are always smaller and inferior than what they were in the concept phase.

I'm not sure I really follow. Baisha was absolutely cut at some point in development. It was pitched in the Kickstarter as the third area for the game. What people are speculating with the castle area is that since the Baisha stretch goals mostly morphed into the castle area, elements of the story in Baisha were used there instead. I imagine that could be possible, but I personally think the story was overhauled a bit more to deal with the absence of Baisha.

Also I don't really agree with the OP at all. I felt the huge 2-v-many segment prevented you from going back in order to give a sense of just pushing past a bunch of mooks. Essentially the other three characters would then just be playing catch up while clearing out some of the stragglers. I suppose I wouldn't disagree that it's a little clumsy, but I don't think it's really that difficult to see what was intended. The scene with both Kyo and Shilin follows the rule of threes, by the way. This is another thing I didn't think was that difficult to understand: Kyo is waving the mooks out individually to come square up with him on the balcony; They can't see Shilin behind the door; Once they get out in front of her, she conks them on the dome, staggering them long enough for Kyo to just throw them over the railing. No muss, no fuss.

If Yu absolutely wanted to end the fight with the Booty Bump move, then fine, make it a free battle and put the Booty Bump QTE at the end.
This comment is the most vexing of all, to me, though. This is exactly how it happened. You fight him in a free battle, then when you "win," you have to input the command QTE for Youshi Senrin. It's pretty much the same as the Baihu and Dou NIu fights, and neither is really a very difficult fight.

Maybe he was actually talking about an idea that was cut when the game was in pre production.(Since in concept phase lots and lots of ideas get changed/removed. From level design to story to character models.)

When Shenmue 3 was in full development the only cut area was that boat section according to developers.So even if the castle was supposed to be longer it was an idea that was cut early in development.(Similar to a Hutt planet in Star Wars Kotor 1 that was cut when the game was early in development.)

Video Games are always smaller and inferior than what they were in the concept phase.
Baisha was definitely cut, we saw development updates around that.

Cedric was talking in a Q and A he did around March time where he said he was frustrated with the ending and that it was cut short from their initial idea. What that was I've no idea but I suspect the castle was supposed to be much fuller

Baisha was definitely cut, we saw development updates around that.

Cedric was talking in a Q and A he did around March time where he said he was frustrated with the ending and that it was cut short from their initial idea. What that was I've no idea but I suspect the castle was supposed to be much fuller
Excuse me for being ignorant, but who's Cedric, and do you have a source for that?

Excuse me for being ignorant, but who's Cedric, and do you have a source for that?
Cedric Biscay owner at Shibuya Productions who worked with YSNET.

Heres the Dojo Summery:
Link to the Video, its nearer the end and its quite long:

"whole theory"
"theory"

It's not like Yu Suzuki in the pitch video said how Baisha would be what Shenmue III is all about.
It's not like it was one of the areas shown in the concept arts.
It's not like it was in the stretch goals for expansion, and the very first area to benefit from it.
It's not like they later made an update to say Baisha was cut and replaced with the fortified castle area.

It's not a theory. It's concrete facts, straight from Yu Suzuki and the Kickstarter, as far as 2019.

"whole theory"
"theory"

It's not like Yu Suzuki in the pitch video said how Baisha would be what Shenmue III is all about.
It's not like it was one of the areas shown in the concept arts.
It's not like it was in the stretch goals for expansion, and the very first area to benefit from it.
It's not like they later made an update to say Baisha was cut and replaced with the fortified castle area.

It's not a theory. It's concrete facts, straight from Yu Suzuki and the Kickstarter, as far as 2019.
These stuff always happen in game development. So no big deal.

1.The Force Unleashed was supposed to have a crystal planet mission which was cut and replaced with the secon Raxus Prime mission.
2.MGS 2 was supposed to have underwater combat and a bossfight with a character known as China man but both of these features didn't make it to the game and China man bossfight was given to Vamp.
3.Resident Evil 5 was supposed to be a complete single player focused game and was supposed to have zombies. But the game became coop and zombies were replaced by Majinies.
4.RE 1 original was supposed to be a First Person Shooter game(Doom clone) but it was turned into a Alone In The Dark clone.
5.Devil May Cry 1 was supposed to be RE 4 but it was turned into a new franchise.
6.All Starcraft games have units in the trailers and previews that never make it to the final game due to balance issues.

Really no big deal.

Last edited:
Lets calm down in here.

These stuff always happen in game development. So no big deal.

1.The Force Unleashed was supposed to have a crystal planet mission which was cut and replaced with the secon Raxus Prime mission.
2.MGS 2 was supposed to have underwater combat and a bossfight with a character known as China man but both of these features didn't make it to the game and China man bossfight was given to Vamp.
3.Resident Evil 5 was supposed to be a complete single player focused game and was supposed to have zombies. But the game became coop and zombies were replaced by Majinies.
4.RE 1 original was supposed to be a First Person Shooter game(Doom clone) but it was turned into a Alone In The Dark clone.
5.Devil May Cry 1 was supposed to be RE 4 but it was turned into a new franchise.
6.All Starcraft games have units in the trailers and previews that never make it to the final game due to balance issues.

Really no big deal.

None of that was announced and marketed until the year of release.
That is stuff we learned after.
So yeah, it's not a theory. Baisha was cut, that's a fact. And Baisha was announced.

None of that was announced and marketed until the year of release.
That is stuff we learned after.
So yeah, it's not a theory. Baisha was cut, that's a fact. And Baisha was announced.
You only know that because this was a Kickstarter project and in kickstarter project the developers should always inform fans of the stuff they are doing.

Back