The cliff temple . That's where we found the scroll

@danielmann861 already mentioned this in another thread; it's a mistranslation (the temple is *on* the scroll).

Is this confirmed by the creators of the game and is it a mistranslation with the subtitle and English script

Like if one can understand Japanese what is actually said ?

Ok but what is actually said anyone who can speak Japanese out there please confirm

I finished the game today, in full Japanese (voices + subtitles). There is clearly a mistranslation in English, as in Japanese it's something like "makimono ni atta/(egakareta) o-tera" = "The temple that was (drawn) on the scroll"...

It feels like a word for word translation of this sentence was made by somebody (or a software) who doesn't know that the word order is inverted in Japanese... "The scroll/ in / there was / the temple"...

Last edited:
I finished the game today, in full Japanese (voices + subtitles). There is clearly a mistranslation in English, as in Japanese it's something like "makimono ni atta/(egakareta) o-tera" = "The temple that was (drawn) on the scroll"...

Cool thank you very much for that I only know very little Japanese but did play it in Japanese with English subs as that's my preferred way to play the English dub alogh funny just never seams right to me

It feels like a word for word translation of this sentence was made by somebody (or a software) who doesn't know that the word order is inverted in Japanese... "The scroll/ in / there was / the temple"...

I don't get how the hell they got "That's the scroll we found in the temple" from that very simple line.

In order for that to work...it would have to be this:

巻物を見つけた寺。
Makimono o mitsuketa tera.
(The Temple where we found the Scroll.)

So it just baffles me how they got that line from something as simple as Makimono ni atta tera ka?

I'm an amatuer at this language and even I picked it out.

Watched the sequence in Youtube and Corey Marshall reads the mistranslated line. Yikes.

Seems Corey fucked up big time too. How the heck did he not pick up on this?

My only explanation is that he was maybe fed just little bits of text, without knowing what the conversation with Mr Yuan was about.

Glad its not just me that was confused about that line. I swear the localisation/translation team did a bad job at several points in Shenmue 3, several (little) lines changed here and there which completely change the tone of some scenes. I'm not great at Japanese, but when listening to the Japanese voice track and reading the subtitles I frequently noticed several lines that were quite incorrect (and as I said, I'm bad at Japanese and still noticed this). Then you have the Warehouse No.8 password screwup... hopefully any potential Shenmue 4 can hire better translators, or an editor to make sure the script actually makes sense.

Back