The 'jump cut' issue

Yea, this sticks out like a sore thumb. I really thought the title screen was going to be the mirrors just like the previous games - kind of a no brainer right?

But yea the main menu looks really basic

And the thing is, they didn't even need to switch to that main menu screen. They could have just had the menu text pop up on the left side of the title screen and that would've been perfectly ok!

All these issues really stand out to me too, specially those ones that are clearly not a matter of budget but of taste (like the main menu). In fact they feel kind of coherent with the poor logo, boxart and trailer decisions we previously knew.

I guess there was some people at AM2 that cared about all this, and they are not there anymore (thus Yu Suzuki is an undisputed genius...but maybe not in the graphical design areas).

(I could say something really similar about what they've done with the music at their disposal).

It's pretty jarring at the beginning of the game. Not a good first impression. Let's recap the series intros.

Shenmue 1: Iconic scene of Ryo arriving home and witnessing his father's murder. Very cinematic and dramatic.

Shenmue 2: Epic boat arrival scene at Hong Kong. Again, very movie-like with great camera angles and fitting music. Very adventurous.

Shenmue 3: A pretty decent scene recapping Shenmue 2's ending. Then... talking... with the weird jump cuts. Just, chatting about her father. Really? No scene of them exiting the cave? I'm picturing blinding light, then revealing the beautiful world ahead of them. This stuff writes itself. I don't know. I was just very disappointed by the beginning of the game, especially compared to the last two.
because shenmue 3 starts right off 2, its like a direct continuation. we are in the middle of the story, sometimes i feel like some fans were expecting so much from 3 when this is exactly what we would have gotten if it came out 18years ago. but trust me the scene u get when you leave baliu is pretty nice

It's pretty jarring at the beginning of the game. Not a good first impression. Let's recap the series intros.

Shenmue 1: Iconic scene of Ryo arriving home and witnessing his father's murder. Very cinematic and dramatic.

Shenmue 2: Epic boat arrival scene at Hong Kong. Again, very movie-like with great camera angles and fitting music. Very adventurous.

Shenmue 2, in fact, has like 4 epic introductions on its own (the Hong Kong harbor, Beverly Hills Wharf, Kowloon and Guilin).

I wonder how much of it came down to growing pains working with the Unreal Engine?

I can't imagine he had top programmers on staff for this (top programmers cost more money). He has said that they weren't that experienced with Unreal, so maybe this game was growing pains from beginning to end?

I'm sure they know. But either this is the way Yu wanted it to be (because Yu doesn't play contemporary games) and they didn't want to challenge him out of respect or there was something else at play that got scrapped. I don't think it's been that bad though. The early set up of the game was rough, but once it got going I noticed it less so.

I truly think it is a case of budget. Hence the character models. Some character models look great. Other character models look like cartoon characters from another game all together. They look like they were designed by different artists all together. There is a massive inconsistency there. I'm willing to overlook it...but I can see it.

I do think budget is a big issue with this game. He doesn't have the same top notch AM2 programmers he once had. He doesn't have the same character designers at hand. Environments in the game are flat out gorgeous at times. But you can see rough edges everywhere else.

He doesn't have the best money can buy like he once did.

He's probably with a younger, dare I say, less skilled group artists and programmers due to budgetary reasons...hence the weird rough edges that the game has. It's trying so hard to emulate the older games, but, and I say this as no disrespect to the team he has....I'm greatly appreciative of the game they made. I very much love the game warts and all. But I think its telling he doesn't have the same level of skilled talent that he once had at AM2.

So I do think a lot of the rough edges come down to budget. Making a game is tough. It cost money to get the best on board. Money we know they didn't have.

My definitive review of Shenmue III is that at all points, it's punching way above its weight considering the budget it has. Hence some of the weird choices. You can tell that this game probably had many growing pains from a staff that is still learning their craft.

Last edited:
I wonder how much of it came down to growing pains working with the Unreal Engine?

I can't imagine he had top programmers on staff for this (top programmers cost more money). He has said that they weren't that experienced with Unreal, so maybe this game was growing pains from beginning to end?

I'm sure they know. But either this is the way Yu wanted it to be (because Yu doesn't play contemporary games) and they didn't want to challenge him out of respect or there was something else at play that got scrapped. I don't think it's been that bad though. The early set up of the game was rough, but once it got going I noticed it less so.

Agree on both of these points. Not only the growing pains of using the engine, but building a team and getting their process together could have taken another year or two on its own after the kickstarter.

A lot times the game director isn't coming up with every single idea, usually other members of the team are coming up with ideas and creating their own content which would then be reviewed by Yu. I believe I read an article where he mentioned this was the case with 3, there were fewer people trying to get their ideas in the game compared to Shenmue 1 and 2 (can't remember the article offhand).

Yeah mi biggest issue with the game to much fade scenes and calling each other name constantly, no kidding it gives me headache.

German RocketbeansTV is playing Shenmue 3 for 16 hours on this weekend
so i can check how the mood in the community is and so far in the first 40 minutes with the game,
its pretty much the same as in Maximilian Doods stream.
The number 1 complaint without a doubt is the english voice acting and in general the quality of the dialogues.
No one said anything about the jump cuts or the fade to black.
There is some talk about other things like character design or graphics
but its more mixed, so not really a problem. The only thing that everyone is complaining about
is the quality of the dialogues (the writing and the english voices)

The funny thing about that is you can fix the bad English VA with the flip of a switch, but there is no remedy for the awkward cuts, fades and stitching together of scenes.

The funny thing about that is you can fix the bad English VA with the flip of a switch, but there is no remedy for the awkward cuts, fades and stitching together of scenes.

Actually, the english VA led to another issue: it's why the subtitles seems out of sync with the conversation sometimes. Because of the English VA. Even if you disable it, you still pay the price of it, one way or another. What a waste of budget.

Back