The negativity surrounding Shenmue3

Youtubers just care about clicks. They are not the best source. I avoid watching modern day gaming youtbers like the plague. It might be old fashioned but my main source for gaming information are still the old school print magazines. These is the source of gaming info, that contains the least amount of politics and ideologies.

I only follow retro gaming youtubers. Modern day gaming youtuber are a non go for me. Not interested in "controversies. I have real life problems to take care of, so at least in my hobbies I want tot be spared from all the negativity out there in the real word.

Last edited:
Anyone who has been following Youtubers since the trend began can see how their output has changed radically in the pursuit for clicks. Just look at DreamcastGuy. I used to love his channel, but now all he does is post rants about controversies (and fair enough if a "rant" makes you go "oh hey, that's an interesting perspective. I hadn't thought of it like that", but none do), spout unfounded rumours/conspiracy theories and title every video on a new game as "does [insert game here] SUCK?"

I'm so sick of Youtubers at this point and this is coming from someone who used to watch a lot of Youtubers up until just a few years ago. Getting all your gaming related content from Youtubers is the equivalent to reading nothing but right wing tabloids like The Sun or the Daily Mail to be honest. Actually, it's worse than that. It's the equivalent to reading nothing but Infowars or some shite.

I agree and their aren't really many alternatives. If you look for gaming news on YouTube a lot of it is built around click bait and controversy. If you try to follow on more prominent gaming outlets or communities, most of the conversation is geared toward a certain amount of political activism. I think gaming culture sucks now. That's not just a Shenmue thing. I grew up and could easily find communities worth engaging with that influenced me in positive ways about a hobby I loved. It's simply not that way anymore.

There's a few decent sites out there (I like Eurogamer, for the most part, for example), but I mostly get my gaming news/content from the source (i.e. Developers/Publishers) and/or discussion forums like this and various social media groups. You just have to cut through the bullshit. Also, to be fair, not all youtube channels are awful (just most :p). The guys at Digital Foundry are excellent.

Back