The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

Oh yeah there were a good number who had faith in Yu. I didn't communicate it much because I thought it would be a debbie downer move, but while I had relative faith in Yu that he'd try his best, I did not have faith in the forces beyond his control.

You also make a very good point how Shenmue 3 could end up being very important, and that all depends how Shenmue IV shakes out. I mean look at what Shenmue II story did for part 1? A good number of people have now let go of the problems they had with that game because Shenmue II paid off certain things so well.

Oh yeah definitely. Shenmue III is the most important in the series because of what it took for this game to finally release to the public. Not only that, but I just don't see whatever deals were done with Deep Silver, Epic Games etc. to make Shenmue III a one off deal. We've known for over a decade that III would never continue the series, so I'm hoping that Yu was thinking long term when it came to the development of III and judging from the credits, I think he is.

You make a very good point about Shenmue II. After I beat part 1, when I got to the ending I was like "That's all?" and then when we got to II that's when the rollercoaster really started. After lulling over it a bit, I got that same feeling after I beat Shenmue III which I hope pays off with another roller coaster ride in IV as you were saying. I think after playing Shenmue IV, the critical fans of Shenmue III's story plot (myself included) will be more forgiving of the plodding plotline of that particular game.

FWIW I thought the ending to Shenmue III was way better than I. It took a while for me to realize that and not be so angry at the ending lol. I'm glad I got a little bit of action and suspense vs Ryo beating up Chai and going on a boat.

Alright guys good and bad news

The bad news it's Game informer gave 60 in metacritic (ps4)

The good news it's PC gamer gave 83 in metacritic and it's on PC, so now PC it's 70 just like PS4!!

Bad review from a not great site

Luckily, that review is not going on MC.

Gameinformer's 60 just got added to MC but didn't change the score. Still 70.

Gameinformer had some of the best Shenmue III coverage before launch and they all seemed so excited. Guess the "wrong" person reviewed it.

updating list

Not that Shenmue 3 is as anywhere near as low budget as Deadly Premonition, but this is certainly giving me flashbacks where Shenmue is just this really polarizing game where you love or hate it. The reviews really reflect it.

Real1: I think it is better you remove your ironic renames from your list to ease the copy paste to other social networks.

Also, maybe should we make a graphic to get the reviews viral like Shenmue Master did one week ago.

1574520824-15745208146141143917039.jpg

Last edited:
Bad review from a not great site

For a bad review it is quite respectful I would say. But I really must play the wrong games because I really do get it why everbody is crazy About the facial animations like in this review.

I am aware that many games today might have more advanced facial animations than S3, but is advanced really better? I do not think so. Good facial animations Looks just weird. I am talking about high tech games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Re 2 and Modern Warefare 2019. It can look good sometimes, but most of the time it looks just weird.

We are not there yet for hyper realism. It just looks like fake and so wrong most of the time. The more stylised Approach of Shenmue 3 is the way to go in this day and age. In 10 years things might be different. But now good facial animations are not convincing at all.

Real1: I think it is better you remove your ironic renames from your list to ease the copy paste to other social networks.

Also, maybe should we make a graphic to get the reviews viral like Shenmue Master did one week ago.

1574520824-15745208146141143917039.jpg

Alright, I removed them! I was planning to do so anyway in the final version but eh, I guess they were kinda childish.

For a bad review it is quite respectful I would say. But I really must play the wrong games because I really do get it why everbody is crazy About the facial animations like in this review.

I am aware that many games today might have more advanced facial animations than S3, but is advanced really better? I do not think so. Good facial animations Looks just weird. I am talking about high tech games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Re 2 and Modern Warefare 2019. It can look good sometimes, but most of the time it looks just weird.

We are not there yet for hyper realism. It just looks like fake and so wrong most of the time. The more stylised Approach of Shenmue 3 is the way to go in this day and age. In 10 years things might be different. But now good facial animations are not convincing at all.
Horizon zero dawn has good facial animations ...? Ummm whaaaat!?!?

🤷🏼‍♂️

I dont know theres something notably off about the facial animation in this game more so than alot of stuff I played recently, I think its the styalization of certain characters matched with wonky lip sync, some people it looks fine but when you get to really styalized npcs and the like its really weird to look at.

I dont think it really bothers me too much personally, but I can see why people can get hung up on

New review added. A lousy 55 from XGN. Miraculously the average still didn't drop below 70. One more review below 70 will drop the average for sure though.

Updating list.

Twinfinite's 80 is now registered on Metacritic! Thanks to that we might be able to take another 6 without dropping below 70.

Back