The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

Thanks man. I have high hopes for Edge. While I don’t think they’ll give it a 9/10, I would hope for at least a 7-8.

Oh I'm not sure on that. Edge are very harsh, but also very fair. Their reviews are always very well written and honest, but they are notoriously harsh with the actual score.

It could go either way (and my personal guess is a 6), but I wouldn't expect higher than a 7.

Oh I'm not sure on that. Edge are very harsh, but also very fair. Their reviews are always very well written and honest, but they are notoriously harsh with the actual score.

It could go either way (and my personal guess is a 6), but I wouldn't expect higher than a 7.

Fair play. Guess we’ll see soon enough. I hold out some hope though.

Updated list version 5 with all the recent scores

Reviews thus far (because I'm bored) >WIP<

• DIGITALLY DOWNLOADED

9+
  • 90 - IGN Japan
8+
  • 85 - DualShockers
  • 85 - Gaming Trend
  • 83 - 4players.de
  • 80 - DarkStation
  • 80 - The Guardian
  • 80 - Gamesradar
  • 80 - Videogamer
  • 80 - Game Revolution
  • 80 - LaPS4
  • 80 - Hobby Consolas
  • 80 - Twinfinite
  • 80 - VGC
  • 80 - PlayStation Universe
  • 80 - Wfftech
7+
  • 76 - GamePro Germany
  • 75 - Gamer.nl
  • 75 - EveryEye.it
  • 75 - Multiplayer.it
  • 75 - The Games Machine
  • 73 - Spazio Games
  • 72 - Vandal
  • 70 - Destructoid
  • 70 - Eurogamer Italy
  • 70 - RPG Fan
  • 70 - IGN Spain
  • 70 - IGN Italia
  • 70 - Gameblog.fr
6+
  • 65 - Gamecrate
  • 65 - 3DJuegos
  • 65 - PlayStation Lifestyle
  • 60 - CG Magazine
  • 60 - GameInformer
  • 60 - Gamespew
  • 60 - CheatCodeCentral
  • 60 - Metro GameCentral
  • 60 - Worth Playing
  • 60 - VG247
5+
  • 55 - XGN
  • 50 - JeuxVideo
  • 50 - USGamer
4+
  • 45 - Gamers Heroes
  • 40 - Trusted Reviews
UNRANKED (Not on Metacritic for PS4)
  • 100 - Hey Poor Player
  • 99 - Paste Magazine
  • 95 - NicheGamer
  • 85 - Pure PlayStation
  • 82 - M! Gaming
  • 83 - PC Gamer (PC)
  • 80 - GameStar (PC)
  • 80 - FZ.se
  • 80 - PC Invasion (PC)
  • 80 - Gamereactor
  • 80 - Mspoweruser
  • 70 - Gamersky (PC)
  • 70 - Screenrant (PC)
  • 70 - Gamingbolt
  • 60 - Game Reactor Norway
  • 59 - IGN America (PC)
  • 50 - Game Over (PC)
  • 50 - COGConnected (MC-bound)
  • 40 - Denofgeek
  • 40 - Comicbook
  • IDK/10 - LADBible
NOTE: The Unranked section will be color coded like the rest of the list in a future update.
NOTE: List is updated as we go along and re-posted when needed (when enough time has passed or after many reviews at once, etc)

Last edited:

I’m actually expecting a 5 unfortunately.

He is absolutely one of my favorites!!

Yea I love HappyConsoleGamer, he's a huge fan but fair in his critique. I don't think he spoiled anything story related but there are some shots of specific areas in that video that may be a bit spoilery if you're someone who prefers to be surprised while exploring in game.

I’m actually expecting a 5 unfortunately.

Oh I dunno about that... Depending on who reviews, EDGE has been very positive toward Shenmue III for months

I think "Trusted Reviews" review of Shenmue III is the absolute worst one. Pure trash. It says the game would have been well received in 2003. That implies that that all older games are bad now. Only modern games are good!

What a bunch of horseshit.

Famitsu's Shenmue 3 impressions..

Positive impressions, but no review score yet.

Famitsu's Shenmue 3 impressions..

Positive impressions, but no review score yet.

I wish Famitsu was counted on Metacritic. Now, why the hell isn't it? They're HUGE and influential.

Oh I dunno about that... Depending on who reviews, EDGE has been very positive toward Shenmue III for months
Be wary of that thinking, I recall being so blindsided by how overwhelmingly positive they were about Final Fantasy XV for months and praised the stuff they played, then the game drops and its one of the most scathingly harsh reviews the game got even at a 6/10.

But heres hoping, If edge gave it a 7 I'd be over the moon

Don’t think this affects MC, but another positive review.
That score is pretty wild card lol

Okay I kinda love the last paragraph from the LADBible review. Seriously, spread this paragraph around!!

Credit where it's due, then, to those who refused to forget. Those who hoped and wrote and campaigned for another game. Those who now have it, after Suzuki and his Ys Net studio answered, and will love it, I'm sure. They won't care about the score beneath these words or those published elsewhere. To them, and anyone else who loved Shenmue and Shenmue II, this third game is a blessing. Give it maximum marks, and get excited about Yu Suzuki saying he's every intention of making a fourth one.
And to everyone else: let the fans have their game, and direct your miss-the-point criticism elsewhere.

I don't agree with parts of his review, mainly that concerning voice acting as I find it pretty good as I always play with Japanese on. Only negative is Ryo being a bit repetitious in his dialogue. I don't want the "bad" voice acting some Shenmue-fans want. But I do understand and get the charm with it.

Last edited:
Back