The Shenmue Composers Appreciation Thread

Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Rise of the Ronin
Everyone knows that Yu Suzuki is the genius behind the Shenmue games however like every good captain with a vision they need a crew to help steer that vision. For example, everyone recognizes George Lucas as the creator of Star Wars but would Star Wars be as recognizable without the masterful score from the genius composer John Williams? I think the same can be applied here talent like Takenobu Mitsuyoshi and Ryuji Iuchi deserve credit as well. The music in Shenmue gives the world life and establishes mood and atmosphere. So in dedication to the great composers of Shenmue I decided a thread about your favorite music in the Shenmue series would be appropriate.

I think everybody knows about the big ones like the main theme “Sedge Tree”, Shenhua’s theme “Sedge Flower” and it’s many renditions, “War of the Lions”, the main battle theme “Of Earth and Sea”, “Dawn”, “Nozomi’s Theme” and the magnificent opening orchestral score in Shenmue 1’s opening. However I think there are some songs that get overlooked and under appreciated and I'll list a few that I like and my reasoning why.

Credit goes to @Alexey for providing us the names of other musicians in the Shenmue series.

1. “Free 1”
I absolutely love this atmospheric track it depicts the “calm after the storm” type of feeling within me. It’s so subtle yet relaxing and peaceful.

2. “The Sadness I Carry On My Shoulders” by Yuzo Koshiro
This theme conveys a sense of sadness and longing for the most precious things we lost with Ryo it was his peaceful life with his father.

3. “Daily Agony” by Ryuji Iuchi
Similar to “The Sadness I Carry On My Shoulders” this piece convey’s a sense of nostalgia for day’s gone by. It really highlights how much pain Ryo is in over his father’s death while hiding it behind his feelings of anger and vengeance.

4. “Tears Of Separation” by Ryuji Iuchi
This piece made me cry the first time I heard it. It was a culmination of everything in Shenmue 1 coming to an end. A love between two that will be forever separated by a sense of duty. Regardless of what people say, I am convinced that Ryo was wished into this brief moment of time to say goodbye to Nozomi it gives the scene at least in my opinion a mystical type of flair.

5. “Cherry Blossom Wind Dance” by Osamu Murata
This piece to me convey’s the spiritual rich atmosphere of the Shenmue series. When I close my eyes I can see cherry petals floating in the wind.

Keep in mind these are only a few examples of the musical excellence Shenmue provides. Composers like Ryuji Iuchi are vital to Shenmue as much as Yu Suzuki is. So what are some of your favorite musical pieces in the Shenmue series and the reasons why you like them. Like I said before the music in Shenmue is what gives the world it’s life.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again...

The Shenmue saga’s soundtrack is the greatest in art history...

Truly timeless...

So many to cherish, but here are a few more quick masterpieces...

Waves of wonder...

Poetic pace... (great for workouts)

Hymn of hype...

A few of my fav lesser known pieces:

S1

1.) Slot house

2.) Fukuhara's theme

3.) Kame-san's theme

S2

1.) Hong Kong Brawls

2.) Fangmei's theme QTE variant

3.) Iwao's friend

Btw, Yuzo Koshiro (SOR+Actraiser fame) also contributed a few tracks of his own to the OST too!

Also, big props to the Kanagawa Philharmonic Orchestra+Jia Peng-Fang for their phenomenal Orchestral renditions as well.

(y)(y)

The Shenmue series have some amazing musical pieces indeed and I'm glad some of them are returning. It's crazy how not only the soundtrack is great but how there's so many tracks, even though you may hear some for just one moment of the game.

Here's a few I really enjoyed:
Rain:

Bright Morning in Guilin:

The Morning Fog's Wave:

The one that plays when you say goodbye to Fangmei:

And of course, Xiuying's theme:

So far, for Shenmue III the prophecy trailer theme sounds as good as previous pieces indeed. So I'm really looking forward both new and old tracks.

Great thread. If we talk about lesser known soundtracks my favorites are:

Hanhui Lesson

A letter in Chinese -

Shenhua's Warning

Mark's Brother

Sadness and Hope

And i would add about 30 other but that's enough i think :D

Shenmue 1 and 2 soundtracks are completely amazing and i love all tracks.

Since this thread has seen a small revival I thought I'd add some more favorites of mine. I’ll go into detail once again as to why I like these under appreciated tracks.

1. Yamaji - This is one of my favorite shops to enter into in Shenmue I because it feels like I am going back in time to the Sengoku Era. The soba restaurant has a traditional Japanese feel which the music accurately portrays.

2. To The Sky - This track has a calming and relaxing effect on me. It’s an atmospheric track that has a certain kind of warmth and gentility to it.

3. The Spot - I don’t why but this piece reminds me of classic 80’s/early 90s anime themes.

4. MJQ Jazz Bar - Being a fan of Jazz this was a natural selection. The music gives off a very classy vibe which fits the bar that Ryo visits perfectly.

5. Heartbeats - Milk is perfect for a school boy wouldn’t you say? This track on its own I feel reflects the struggles of the modern blue collar worker. Once again being a fan of Jazz music this was a natural selection for me.

6. Visitor at Night - This piece has a very ethereal yet comforting feel to it. Like with “To The Sky” its gentility make the piece incredibly atmospheric.

7. Free #15 - Yet another comforting atmospheric track that I enjoy and my second favorite “Free” piece. While other tracks are calming and relaxing this one inspires in me a sense of contemplation. Makes me reflect on what I am doing and where I am going.

So there are seven more tracks that I enjoy from Shenmue that I feel go under appreciated. What makes the Shenmue track legendary is its rich variety in different compositions. If you like Hip Hop, Electronica, Rock, Soft Rock, Classical, Jazz, ETC you’ll find something to enjoy.

Last edited:
So many great choices... Waves of Morning Haze might be my overall favourite theme in Shenmue 2 (or either game), and what was wonderful was the fact that when I replayed 2 this year as part of the remaster, I'd completely forgotten about the theme and when it occurs in the game, so having it start playing when you wake up on Wongs boat was a real treat. A couple of my choices from Shenmue 1:

Chai's creepy boss theme. Aside from me really liking Chai as a character, there's just something about this theme I love, especially in the context of a boss fight in a game. Coming off of so many Yakuza games recently I'm used to some adrenaline pumping fast paced rock styled music to accompany my fights, however Chai's theme would honestly not feel out of place in a survival horror game - the sense of dread I get when I hear the beginning of the theme, just sets the tone perfectly.

Borrowing the bike - a scene I really loved in the game especially as it was near the end of the game and things were getting really serious. Again it sets the tone of the scene perfectly.

Big OX Building - 40F. Again, like Chai's theme this wouldn't really sound out of place in one of the older RE games. It's always stuck in my mind because of how creepy it sounds.

Man... I love these games music. Makes me excited to hear what they have in store for Shenmue 3!

3. The Spot - I don’t why but this piece reminds me of classic 80’s/early 90s anime themes.
Wow! Thank you so much for this :love: This is one of my favorites now! :)

I've never heard this song, where can i hear it in the game? Or is it from Shenmue passport? It sounds very familiar and new at the same time :D
Borrowing the bike - a scene I really loved in the game especially as it was near the end of the game and things were getting really serious. Again it sets the tone of the scene perfectly.
I love it too. This is very atmospheric scene, and my the most favorite music from shenmue 1.

Wow! Thank you so much for this :love: This is one of my favorites now! :)

I've never heard this song, where can i hear it in the game? Or is it from Shenmue passport? It sounds very familiar and new at the same time :D

Your quite welcome and yes it's from the Shenmue Passport. If you want it, I suggest that you get the Suka Pass app.

Last edited:
Obligatory Shenhua theme:
A new Departure:
The Morning Fog's Wave
and all of the Guilin forest music.

are my favorites.

For the next batch of songs that I enjoy in the Shenmue series I am going to cheat a little bit with some of my choices. Some of the songs I'll be listing next are in the games themselves but don't come directly from Shenmue itself. You'll see once I start listing more of my favorites.

1. Hang-On Theme - I absolutely adore this theme its absolutely melodic. I cannot explain why I like it so much but I find myself nodding my head every time I hear it.

2. Space Harrier Arcade Theme - This theme on the other hand I can explain a little more easily. While apart of me likes it for the exciting tone playing it also makes me nostalgic for the 80s. When video games were a lot simpler and all about achieving the highest score by blowing up everything around you.

3. Scarlatto (Instrumental Version) by Genki Hitomi - The tense exciting music from "F355 Challenge" that plays during your rush to the harbor is one of my favorite moments in Shenmue I. The story behind Ryo racing to the harbor has momentous weight behind it. All I kept thinking in that moment was two things

I. Hold on Nozomi I am going to make those assholes pay for hurting you!

II. Ryo just seems so badass in that moment.

4. Sunny Places - Much like "To the Sky" I love this atmospheric piece just because of how warm and comforting it is. It's a soothing piece that puts my mind at ease.

5. Hazuki Dojo - There's nothing like coming home after a long day. Much like with "Yamaji" I love the tone of this piece. Everything about it just screams traditional Japanese culture to me. Especially the sound of the deer chaser in the background over the flowing of water into the koi pond. It's simple yet effective at establishing comfort. There's nothing like the feeling of coming home again.

So there are five more songs from the franchise that I enjoy. Given the rich tapestry of music made for these games I cannot wait for Shenmue III in November. I have a feeling I will be adding a lot more themes and songs to this list.

Last edited:
Sadly, we don't have a full list of composers and their tracks.

I found an information about some tracks in the booklet of Shenmue 1 Original Soundtrack (about 40). But Shenmue 1 & 2 have more than 300 tracks...

Sadly, we don't have a full list of composers and their tracks.

I found an information about some tracks in the booklet of Shenmue 1 Original Soundtrack (about 40). But Shenmue 1 & 2 have more than 300 tracks...

Just post what you can, any information would be helpful.

Back