The sky/clouds in Shenmue I

Didn't it depend on the type of weather though? If it's cloudy the sky won't be too visible.
It will still have the same problem regardless of weather because you can see it moving. If you look at that Dreamcast footage posted, the sky in the background moves at roughly the same speed as the actual buildings in the distance are moving when the camera turns. This is why it looks perfectly fine. Whereas in the ports, it's moving faster than the buildings in the distance.

To be fair, it's not exactly 'broken'. It just isn't updated to suit modern standards/screen dimensions :p

Although I overall love and prefere Shenmue II to the first game, I will be in the minority here because I kinda prefer Shenmue I's sky. I acknowledge the problems with being a 2D plane and so, but it had more texture and, specially, more realistic colors.

I remember being amazed at the yellowish afternoon sky in the first game, while getting a kinda weirdish too saturated plain pink in the second game.

Combined with the fact there was much less difference between day and night activities (people in the streets, stores opened, etc.) in Hong Kong and Kowloon compared to Yokosuka, it felt like a big downgrade at the time.

I kinda prefer Shenmue I's sky.

Agreed. Though I prefer everything about the first game anyway. Even the proper small changes between the two slightly irked me. Well, I say irked, I mean whined like a kid to myself in my head goin "but it's not the saa-aaame!"

Come to think of it, if Shenmue had choices, I probably woulda just fucked off the entire vengeance angle and instead tried to work my way up to foreman at the harbour.

Although I overall love and prefere Shenmue II to the first game, I will be in the minority here because I kinda prefer Shenmue I's sky. I acknowledge the problems with being a 2D plane and so, but it had more texture and, specially, more realistic colors.

I remember being amazed at the yellowish afternoon sky in the first game, while getting a kinda weirdish too saturated plain pink in the second game.

Combined with the fact there was much less difference between day and night activities (people in the streets, stores opened, etc.) in Hong Kong and Kowloon compared to Yokosuka, it felt like a big downgrade at the time.
I think I'd agree on all of this. My complaint is the way the ports handled Shenmue I's sky, not the sky itself. Playing on a Dreamcast, I think it looks pretty amazing. I'm not sure I had a seen a more realistic sky at that point, and the colors are pretty spot on. In Shenmue II, the sky has far less impact on my gaming experience, for the reasons you mentioned!

May i ask if you're playing Dreamcast 480i or 480p? I noticed Shen1 sky being a bit more garrish even before my DVI upscaler--when i adopted the VGA box way back in the day.

May i ask if you're playing Dreamcast 480i or 480p? I noticed Shen1 sky being a bit more garrish even before my DVI upscaler--when i adopted the VGA box way back in the day.
It's admittedly been a few years since I played on a Dreamcast, and most of my Shenmue time was just over composite cables on a CRT TV, so maybe that softened the colors a bit. I did get a bit of time in with VGA (and later a VGA to HDMI converter) and don't recall any unpleasant surprises with the sky.

That said, my memory or attention to detail could simply be failing me!

It's admittedly been a few years since I played on a Dreamcast, and most of my Shenmue time was just over composite cables on a CRT TV, so maybe that softened the colors a bit. I did get a bit of time in with VGA (and later a VGA to HDMI converter) and don't recall any unpleasant surprises with the sky.

That said, my memory or attention to detail could simply be failing me!

Mine could failing me as well, but by my own admission, 480i is still lovely with most tubes and S-video or better.

Mine could failing me as well, but by my own admission, 480i is still lovely with most tubes and S-video or better.
This talk makes me want to drag out my Dreamcast and fire it up just to see... but alas, it's in storage a state away. :( Joys of moving!

Back