The weirdest thing just happened to me

Well, one of the weirdest.

A bit of background, I am not a religious man at all. My views on life and its origins is that nobody knows and whatever it is is almost definitely beyond our comprehension. With that said, there has been a few things that has happened in my life that just seem beyond coincidence and gets me thinking about what is this world that we live in/life we live.

The first happened many years ago. My house when I was younger was a bit of a mess. We actually had an entire bedroom dedicated to chucking in rubbish, boxes and other things we think we would need but never ended up using. One day I was looking for a item (can't remember what) and was searching through bags and bags of random junk. Randomly, a memory of an old video game (I think it was Gran Turismo) came to mind quite explicitly. Not even a minute later I picked up a random piece of paper as it was a list of cheats for that game. Now, if this was a game that I frequently played, had played in the past few months or years or had a sequel coming up I could explain it off. However, none of that was the case and the random thought and me just happening to pick up a bunch of cheats just gave me such a weird feeling.

Now to today. Yesterday I forgot a bottle of cider in the freezer and saw it as I was taking out some food to cook this morning. I had this though of the bottle shattering and spewing glass everywhere. The bottle was leaking everywhere so there was no danger of that happening but it was something that was weirdly on my mind - the glass shattering. When I went to open the grill above the oven, suddenly the inside glass pane shattered into pieces throwing glass everywhere in the kitchen. Luckily the toughened glass is not that sharp when broken but it went directly to the chest, arms and I have very little cuts in these areas.

Still have no idea how this happened. The event itself was so damn weird but the fact that I had this thought about glass shattering just before is just bloody bizarre.

Well, these things happen. I could be thinking of toast, then pick up a piece of paper that has the words "you're a gimp" written on it. Those two are completely unrelated. A similar scenario will occur again and again and again. Then, one day, when thinking of toast, I pick up a piece of paper, but this time it has "toast" written on it, or "bread" or "marmite", whatever. Then you take notice, because we're creatures that actually seek out patterns.

It really isn't weird at all. Like the person you haven't thought about in years that, later in the day, "likes" one of your tweets. How many other times have you thought of a person you haven't seen for quite some time, yet the interaction between you continues to lay dormant?

All just probability, and far from bizarre.

Those seem like textbook definitions of a coincidence, like @Mittens2317 said you wouldn't think twice if the outcomes of each scenario was unrelated. I would say it's arguably stranger that we don't notice more of these coincidences.

Pretty tenuous but I had something similar happen recently.

My favourite part of a gig I'd been to the other night was a video that accompanied one of the songs, specifically a moment with some interpretative dance, it's something that surprised me as I'm not generally a fan of that kind of esoteric artsy stuff but for a couple of reasons it really stuck with me. Anyway I was talking to my other half about it last night and a couple of hours later I got a new IG follower, the choreographer of that dance. I hadn't mentioned it anywhere online and although I have the band's IG followed this person is only following 1,000 folk a fraction of the people following the band.

Although when it comes to technology and social media platforms who knows what else is running in the background making these connections.

Back