Things you’d like Yu to fix in Director’s Cut

shenhaZ

Mr. Nagai
Shenmue III has several DLC planned and after their release we would probably see a complete edition.

What would you like to be fixed in this version? I’m not talking about bugs or big features, such as throw moves, something realistic, like:

+ Ability to skip dialogs
+ Add Cola drinking animation
+ Additional facial expressions for Ryo (his face is stillness during wood chopping for example)
+ Fix cutscene pacing (sometimes you even see loading screens during them)
+ Fix music reuse from the previous games
+ *I will add more point during my walkthrough*

What are yours?

Last edited:
Can I just go to a shop and have all my health regenerated in one meal? OR can the health points on some foods be increased? Having to eat 50 dumplings to gain back all my health is a bit of a pain.

That's probably my only major criticism of Shenmue 3. Otherwise, I loved the game.

You can skip dialogue with the square button. It weirdly only seems to work for certain dialogues though.

A skill book command list that you could pull up in sparring would be helpful. There's a lot of strings to remember, and this combat system is actually deeper than I thought it to be at first glance.

I would like the game to enable per object motion blur by default, right now it is only active during cutscenes but disabled during gameplay, and there is no way to enable it during gameplay, the implementation is superb and I hope they give us the option to enable it via a patch.

TFEq7XB.jpg

SrghFOv.png

Skipping any dialogue. Especially for repeat plays, I don't want to hear every last bit. I'm admittedly growing a bit impatient with the initial shopkeeper spiels at Niaowu stalls. I get the realism of it, but sometimes that's too tedious.

(That sounds blasphemous but, as I think many of us agree here, our lives have gotten much busier in the past 18 years.)

Stamina reset after certain battles/events would be nice. Or maybe you get a stamina reset going into a fight and then when you complete it your stamina goes back to what it was before you entered it. I haven't checked yet though, so this might already be a thing in easy mode.

I agree with additional dialogue skipping features as well. In the previous games you used to be able to nope out of a conversation with a random NPC before it was even finished once you realized that they had naught to say, but AFAIK you can't do that in this one.

Make the herb maps "living", as in once you find one, the appropriate red dot disappears from the map. More interaction with the lower left hand compass/map overall would be nice as well. Maybe something like being able to mark off locations we visited with an X like we had in Shenmue 2.

If we get a directors cut the main things I want to see:
- is a real fight with chai
- an extended final sequence.
- Double the pay of jobs.
- Double or Triple the maximum amount of tokens you can bet.
- Herbs respawn after a certain number of days.
- A mercy pull system for the gacha machines.
- Dialogue skip
- Better clothes. (the kungfu attire is too bulky looking on Ryo)
- The QTE's were a bit fast on the chicken segment I think. So fix that.
- Music looping

Last edited:
This thread is interesting; however, I'm just here to say it's already supposed to be the director's cut.
There are more accurate words.

Mostly the option to remove/fix anything that harms immersion.

The ability to choose the date your adventure begins, in order to line it up with a recent Shenmue 2 playthrough (as we can't transfer saves, naturally.)

The ability to toggle off character names in the HUD, which wasn't in the previous two (I don't think?)

The ability to turn off the red circles in investigation mode.

Would also love to be able to stay out an extra hour, come to think of it...

This thread is interesting; however, I'm just here to say it's already supposed to be the director's cut.
There are more accurate words.
Yu said in one of the interviews that he's not completely happy with Shenmue 3 (7/10)

When did he mention that?
There’s a least this one (at 5:27):
It’s difficult to know how much it’s true, however.

Yu said in one of the interviews that he's not completely happy with Shenmue 3 (7/10)
The expression director's cut implies that someone else decided for him and that Suzuki didn’t approve everything in the game.
As absurd as this sounds, it’s how it works most of the time in the film industry (the origin of the expression); and we know that on this aspect we can compare Suzuki and Shenmue with Lynch and Twin Peaks: if it exists, it’s the director’s cut.
The money aspect is probably the strongest one when considering what has been made and how it has been made, but I don’t think we should include this in the director's cut definition.
There’s something else: the time aspect had the last word twenty years ago; and from this point of view, even Shenmue I & II are not the director's cut.
Although Suzuki is not the banker, he’s the sole master.

I don’t want to split hairs, but I think it’s an important distinction.

Just got to Niaowu, so maybe there will be some things to add when I finish the game, but offhand I'd say:

-Replace the cartoony/clay character models with semi-realistic ones if possible (for example, the "bird person" looking thug).
-Dialog skip available all the time.
-Clean up dialog that repeats or becomes tedious (generally a few intros to conversations with NPCs and a few with Shenhua).
-Clean up fade to black and camera cut changes. Make them happen when a conversation or scene is complete, not whenever a new line of dialog starts.
-Remove stamina from running.
-Too many steps to open a drawer, instead of pressing x to zoom to the drawer and pressing x again to open it, just automatically open the drawer when you first press x
-Update music decisions in Bailu (too many changes and empty spaces, don't change music when you enter a building, what's being used as lucky hit music in the town square could make great background music in the village, music outside Shenhua's house is too "grand" sounding, etc)
-The critical path in Bailu is way too grindy and the "slice of life" stuff has become the main course instead of the side dish. So anything related to fixing that, such as the economy (agree with ability to earn money faster), stamina being less tedious, level up slightly quicker.

It's probably not realistic that a director's cut is released for this game, unless it's for next gen consoles. But hopefully a good amount of these things can be patched in.

Back