Things you’d like Yu to fix in Director’s Cut

Option to start the game with Shenhua wearing her original clothes from the ending of Shenmue 2 fixing the continuity error of how she looks like in the cave. Of course she could change to her new clothes later.

Cant believe no one's said this yet:

pause button

(no, R1 does not count. I mean a genuine pause button you can use anytime in the game except QTE's)
Dude. I just hate we can't pause during combat nor cut scenes. Even the PS button don't really pause the game. For me, indeed the pause button. Make happen YsNet!!!

-Ps4 Pro optimized /PS5 remastered version
-Popups and draw distance
-eating animation
-better water effects
-Some touch ups here and there on NPCs
-remove unnecessary Shenmue 3 references like on the clock
-new animated main menu

Last edited:
Flesh out Niaowu and it's inhabitants. Adjust story elements
Better 3D models and facial expressions for the main cast.
Remove food and stamina systems
Add throws and counters
Improve combat hit detection and increase responsiveness and fix lock on with multiple opponents

I'd just want them to re-introduce throws and hold counters. That's literally the only thing I feel mossing from this game. I'm truly amazed by how great Shenmue 3 is after all this time waiting for it.

Stamina is the one thing I can’t imagine he would touch. He seemed pretty into the food and stamina being a big innovation.

Fix the QTE's they were too unforgiving even for a modern Shenmue game. The reaction times to get some of the QTE's were even more brtual than the HD Remakes. In terms of QTE's I think the Dreamcast games still has the fairest response times for QTE's.

Stanima Bar!!!
This was by far the biggest issue I had with the gameplay. Ryo should have had a seperate Stanima bar when Running like how in Battel you had an Endurance bar fo blocking.

Starting the game this was a massive hinderance, I didn't even wantto run at all in fearof losing my health and this really messed up my intentory in the game as I would use items in fear of a story scene about to commence only to find that I wasted it because the scene would end the day - which then would mean I'd have to recover my health items by doing more jobs.

Also, there was one moment in the game where I was low on health and planned to recover prior to reaching the story point - Well, sadly I over steeped the mark and got heavily beat down all from running, which wore down my health upon reaching the destination. It;s a really bad gaemplay mechanic and feel it is the main issue I have with the game.

Sort out the Capsule Toy Winning Rates:
I found myself not enjoying Capsule toy Machines in this game - which in itself is a sad affair. Every set clearly had one Super Rare Toy and it was ridiculous to get. I understand the reasoning as you can trade the sets for serious bucks but it tring to get the are Toy after 100 tries gets old. If they need to reduce the payout for the sets to counter-act this I'd gladly take that.

Music:
I think the music in Shenmue III is really distracting (We have a thread on that already as it is such a big issue) with issues of poor looping, odd clipping and to be honest very ill fitting music - Walking into a shop, which has the Darts theme playing was just too jarring. Get the game was on a budget, but I'd rather they just have the Outdoor themes playthroughout all the buildings instead of an old theme put into.

Dialogue skpping:
In the old game I would skip right at the end of the delivery to keep the dilaogues pace better, sadly you cannot do that in this game unless you've heard the dialogue within that Day - Turn that feature On for all of the dialogue.

That's all that comes to mind really. I actually found the gameplay to be really solid and enjoyable - The game featured the best Mini-games of the series for me overall.

Last edited:
Very possible:
  • Play arcades from menu
  • dialogue skipping without restrictions
  • No stamina losses at least from doing nothing
  • Better facial animations
  • Better "luck" (balance on some game odds)
So so Possible:
  • Options for FPS cap (like Bioshock 3)
  • Thrown system
Very hard:
  • Baisha, the fortress city
  • Import capsules from Shenmue HD

Last edited:
Would also like him to add more NPC's in Niaowu. I feel like he didnt want the town to be full of NPC's with no dialogue rather than it being completely a technical problem. I'd take NPC's without dialogue over empty streets. especially since we can't talk to every NPC anyways.

So much this! Unbelievable oversight there

I actually genuinely like the combat in the game...if they get to IV though I would like to see them add an evade/sidestep button...and throws...I do miss throws. Or at least true counters/parrys. The foundations are there and the combat isn't bad...it just needs further fleshing out.

Fix the QTE's they were too unforgiving even for a modern Shenmue game. The reaction times to get some of the QTE's were even more brtual than the HD Remakes. In terms of QTE's I think the Dreamcast games still has the fairest response times for QTE's.
The QTE timing is the biggest issue I have with the game so far - but it's something that has at least led to me busting out a pen and paper again. At least during giant sequences, there are checkpoints built in to help out.

You need to listen them once before you can skip and it resets every day.

Correction. It only mostly resets every day. Sometimes it allows me to skip dialogue on a new day. I think it's bugged.

Re-recording all of Ren's dialogue with Eric Kelso. And also re-writing some of his lines while we're at it.

Last edited:
- keep the selected camera zoom and position while moving, don't reset it.
- more choice of camera zoom starting with the full body like in the old game.
- redo the cutscenes that use black fade in them.
- add more weight to the characters in battle.

Back