Tips for a Second Playthrough

Hey all!

Decades long lurker here :)

I’m planning a second playthrough of Shenmue 3 and need some tips! On my first run I definitely missed a bunch of side quests and all the DLC content. This time I want to make sure I get the best possible experience.

I’ve heard that simply activating the DLC content can be a bit hit or miss/buggy. Is this still the case or has it been overstated?

Cheers!

Hey all!

I’m planning a second playthrough of Shenmue 3 and need some tips! On my first run I definitely missed a bunch of side quests and all the DLC content. This time I want to make sure I get the best possible experience.

I’ve heard that simply activating the DLC content can be a bit hit or miss/buggy. Is this still the case or has it been overstated?

Cheers!

Playing on PS4 now PS5 I’ve never had an issue with DLC causing any issues. I actually think it fleshes out Niaowu a lot more however the only issue is the boat at the harbour aesthetically ruins some of those beautiful cutscenes with Master Bei.

I've heard of only two difficulties with the DLC, especially for PC players.
(Both problems were mentioned on the forums around the time the DLC released—some time ago now—and, again, they seem to have affected PC users more. Both problems may be fixed by now.)

The first problem concerns the Big Merry Cruise.
In short: if you install this DLC and try to access it with a save file that's pretty far along in Niaowu (either new game + or first run), the cruise ship can have some difficulties loading. From what I recall, just let one full in-game day pass, and the ship should show up the next morning. (So too, it's impossible to access the cruise boat the evening you arrive in Niaowu, since the travel boat's still there; don't fret.)

The second problem concerns the Story Quest.
In short: as with the cruise, some people had trouble activating it. The story quest shows up in relation to the Niaowu plot. You must have progressed enough in the story to have access to most of Niaowu, but you can't start it too late in the plot (I think it has to be started before Shenhua goes missing). To get it all started, look around the cafes by the hotel; like the side quests, you'll hear a notification sound.

To avoid all of this, it's smart to install the DLC, and just start from Guilin; all of the hiccups should be avoided.
Good luck, and happy second run!

Hey all!

Cheers!
I've had no issues with the DLC being added. ( PS4 ) still runs just as smooth. 😁

Back