Tips for combat?

Schmeman

aka Thief or LAMEWAD
I'm having trouble succeeding in combat. Does anybody have any tips? It feels a little slow/sluggish and I'm not exactly sure the best way to block and counterattack. Do I time my blocks? I don't really want to grind too much but I'm stuck on a part where I have to do two fights in a row, the first being against two people, and I could use some help just understanding the combat system better.

You can dodge by jamming the stick (movement key) to the side. It pays to keep your distance and wait for them to come to you. Especially when fighting multiple enemies. With multiple enemies, separate them out by backing up and around. Use the right stick to change focus on each enemy.

Your block is holding down L2 (dont know on PC yet sorry). Its got it's own meter on the bottom left that regenerates with some time, if it's down block wont work.

Edit: sorry to answer your Q, I find it best just at attack is coming in. But you can hold it all the time. Best only if you havent had change to dodge.

Train on the horse stance/dummy for endurance, which is your HP. Train attack by sparring at the dojo. And dont forget to eat like Dou Nui every time to make sure your HP is full, the game wont always remind you.

You can also train up your key bound moves (bound to R2 on ps4) both by pressing it waiting for the QTE to appear. Cycle through bound moves with R1/L1 while in battle. Very useful to excute when you've just dodged an attack.

Special

These are my tips thus far. I must say it's not that well explained in game (if you select the advice option in dialogue with the dojo master you'll get a key binding help splash at least.) Wouldve been nice to have some extrapolation on these mechanics through the game I must say.

Keep your distance and look for windows of opportunity would be my best advice. Jabs work good to punish moves. But yeah, just keep distance and be mindful of the guard meter. Oh and in multi men battles, don't let them get on top of you. I found that out the hard way.

Don't go in gung ho...just play mindfully and look for windows of opportunity...or train and level up.

Once you have enough move scrolls I immediately went to Skill Book editor and started creating my own custom list under Manual Assign (M1-4) I usually reserved this for powerful attacks, typically that required 3-4 button combinations so I could pull those off every time with bumpers.

Don’t forget to switch back to Automatic mode or have a manual list with new move scrolls purchased when sparing because once a move has been mastered even when sparing you will not improve XP for attack and overall kungfu level without new move scrolls.

Finally don’t forget to look at Skill Books section and you will see move list for a lot of Ryo’s combinations he learnt in the first two games. These can’t be assigned to bumpers unfortunately but some of them are legitimately great offensive options such as Mud Spider, Twin Blades or Oblique Slam. Also remember double tapping left analogue stick left or right is to dodge and double tapping down gives you space. I would often close in and either dodge or pull back letting them start combo and counter attack. Lots of options available.

Awesome thanks guys, with a bit more practice I was able to beat the fights thanks to your advice. I'll be honest, I didn't even know there was a guard meter :X

I haven't messed around with the Skill Book editor but I'm definitely going to start doing that now.

Back