Underrated Gaming Gems

The pal version is very expensive indeed. The Japanese Version of Deep Fear is not that expensive and playable. Most stuff is English. But you have to play a bit around to the menu usage. And the text documents are also in Japanese.

I have the Japanese Version for collecting purposes but for playing it a got the English Repro Version.

What Remains of Edith Finch was rated quite highly but being a waking simulator it probably went under the radar for some. I used to follow a YouTube channel called Pretty Good Gaming and I purchased the game based on what one of the guys said. Took me completely by surprise and ended up being one of my most memorable games.

Two other games I forgot to mention are Eternal Sonata and Lost Odyssey that were released last console generation. Eternal Sonata dovetails the history of Romantic Composer Fredrick Chopin with a bittersweet narrative. The dream world of Eternal Sonata is colorful and vibrant, the combat is simple but fun, and the music is absolutely phenomenal.

Lost Odyssey tells an absolutely intriguing story done in a way that only Hironobu Sakaguchi can tell. The characters are well developed and the music is absolutely perfect (which is a given due to Nobuo Uematsu). While the gameplay is nothing to write home about, its satisfying enough. To me, Lost Odyssey captures the spirit of what made Final Fantasy a beloved series.

In my opinion, these were some of the best underrated Japanese Roleplaying Games released last generation.

Last edited:
Two other games I forgot to mention are Eternal Sonata and Lost Odyssey that were released last console generation. Eternal Sonata dovetails the history of Romantic Composer Fredrick Chopin with a bittersweet narrative. The dream world of Eternal Sonata is colorful and vibrant, the combat is simple but fun, and the music is absolutely phenomenal.

Lost Odyssey tells an absolutely intriguing story done in a way that only Hironobu Sakaguchi can tell. The characters are well developed and the music is absolutely perfect (which is a given due to Nobuo Uematsu). While the gameplay is nothing to write home about, its satisfying enough. To me, Lost Odyssey captures the spirit of what made Final Fantasy a beloved series.

In my opinion, these were some of the best underrated Japanese Roleplaying Games released last generation.

Def two of my niche favorites.
Don't sleep on Baten Kaitos 1&2 if you want another unique JRPG from the same studio.
My favorite thing, I'd say I love the skycape-esque lands we get to traverse. Breath-taking.
1592808154312.png
1592808211936.png
1592808293543.png

If Microsoft wanna take another shop at JP, Make amends and money Hat Sakaguchi for a couple more games. He's not getting any younger and his creative juice is running out.
BTW, some other niche titles of his post-squaresoft to not sleep on:
Blue Dragon:
1592808747189.png
Last Story:
1592808825145.png
Archaic Sealed Heat(Ash):
1592808919701.png

Back