Unreal Engine 5

The good news is he's clearly still actively involved in 'something.'
I liked the part that is highlighted in red because it gives me hope that he is working on "Something" = Shenmue 4
I would like to pick up the dramatically improved UE5 quickly and use it in the actual development environment such as texture and comfort. --YSNET Yu Suzuki

Isn't it strange for Yu Suzuki and YsNet not to use all the work that they had already done in Shenmue 3 if it weren't for them to secure Shenmue 4. I believe that if he didn't have that in his pocket that he had gone All In in Shenmue 3. Maybe even some story elements were cut off from Shenmue 3 to be implemented in Shenmue 4. I'm trying to be cautious but my this is what my gut feeling tells me. Also I don't think he is working on other games because is not in his 40's or 50's; if he doesn't uses the chance to finish is lifes work now that he has the chance, he may never will.

I think the same.
Baisha or the perspective system were two big critical cuts, if he wasn't sure to be able to continue the series, I think too that he would have gone All-in and just included these things in shenmue 3 even in a limited way or with some big compromises (after all part of the work was already done).

Instead even in kickstarter he clearly stated "perspective system - not included in this game"

It's true that Suzuki did everything he could with what he have, but at the same time he choose carefully what to include and what to mantain for future chapters (maybe hoping next chapters could have better fundings?).

Priority should be Shenmue 4 and 5 of course, but I'd like to see him working on many other games, I loved his arcade style too much and I really miss that flavour.

I liked the part that is highlighted in red because it gives me hope that he is working on "Something" = Shenmue 4
I would like to pick up the dramatically improved UE5 quickly and use it in the actual development environment such as texture and comfort. --YSNET Yu Suzuki

I love how the translation puts UE4 as a thing from prehistory with very kind words. "Dramatically improved" rofl

I think so. From what I understand they should be able to port the assets from 3 without breaking too much, improve them, and unreal will adjust the highend assets more or less automatically in order to work in the game environments. No separate/manual bump maps necessary. Sound like it should give them better results in a shorter amount of time. And the engine version is newer, so hopefully better, and fingers crossed better performance/draw distance/less popops by default.

I don't think Unreal 5 has been released so I think he will use UE 4 for Shenmue 4.

Also an engine switch isn't a really good idea since that forces him to redo a lot of codes that were already done in 3.

Last edited:
I might be wrong but isn't the idea of the switch to 5 is that it allows stuff in 4 for be easily swapped without the need for massive changes?

Any of the techy people here confirm that or am I wide of the mark?

I might be wrong but isn't the idea of the switch to 5 is that it allows stuff in 4 for be easily swapped without the need for massive changes?

Any of the techy people here confirm that or am I wide of the mark?
Mortal Kombat 11 and Injustice 2 use Unreal Engine 3.

Since Netherrealm studio weren't bothered with switching their graphic engine to Unreal 4, I believe that changing engines isn't as easy as it sounds. Even when you want to switch to an updated version of the same engine.

Mortal Kombat 11 and Injustice 2 use Unreal Engine 3.

Since Netherrealm studio weren't bothered with switching their graphic engine to Unreal 4, I believe that changing engines isn't as easy as it sounds. Even when you want to switch to an updated version of the same engine.
I'm sure I heard that going from UE3 to UE4 was a complete pain in the ass which is why people didnt bother.

I'll have to watch the video again they did for UE5 but I'm sure they've made it much easier to take over UE4 assets into 5 as part of the learning curve from UE3 to UE4.

I'm sure I heard that going from UE3 to UE4 was a complete pain in the ass which is why people didnt bother.

I'll have to watch the video again they did for UE5 but I'm sure they've made it much easier to take over UE4 assets into 5 as part of the learning curve from UE3 to UE4.
Are assets the only portable things ?

Because I don't think switching the engine does worth it unless they manage to export the codes they have written for Shenmue 3 into the new engine.

Are assets the only portable things ?

Because I don't think switching the engine does worth it unless they manage to export the codes they have written for Shenmue 3 into the new engine.
Now from our web/tech guru and resident Unreal Engine Master LemonHaze told me, my understanding is if you've used Unreal compliant code then it should convert over to the new version. If you've used something bespoke to make something work you would have a whole issue getting it to work on the new version.

So I guess it depends on the nuts and bolts of Shenmue III. If it's UE4 compliant throughout then it could be done. If not then there's no point changing engine.

You can easily switch from UE4 to UE5. I'ts cross compatible, which UE3 isnt. As for MK11 and Injustice 2, they're not really using UE3. They're using a heavily modified version of it. Hence why a switch is even more difficult.

I know that Shenmue has alot of resources in place because of UE4, but it will still cost alot of money to transfer those resources over and scale them up to UE5 standards right?

I'm asking because I'm not sure how the technical aspects of game development work.

I know that Shenmue has alot of resources in place because of UE4, but it will still cost alot of money to transfer those resources over and scale them up to UE5 standards right?

I'm asking because I'm not sure how the technical aspects of game development work.
I think that's true.

If you are making a game from scratch, using the latest version of Unreal Engine is a better choice.

But if you want to make a sequel, it's better to use the same engine but just modify and upgrade some parts of it.(Splinter Cell team made all their Splinter Cell games with Unreal Engine 2.5 , Mortal Kombat team is also making all their fighting games with their modified Unreal Engine 3.)

Edit: Also COD engine was id tech 3 which they kept it instead of using Id tech 4 , 5 and 6.(And kept improving it for every sequel)

Last edited:
UE5 looks great I wish Yu had a budget that would allow him to max out the engine.

Well apparently updating your assets and game to UE5 from UE4 is pretty straightforward and “hassle free”. So while I believe S4 will most likely use UE4, it’s more likely down to timing and the release date for UE5. However, if they wanted to upgrade, it wouldn’t be as difficult, time consuming or costly as some seem to believe. It can’t be compared to previous Unreal Engine upgrades which would have been considerably harder to do.

Well apparently updating your assets and game to UE5 from UE4 is pretty straightforward and “hassle free”. So while I believe S4 will most likely use UE4, it’s more likely down to timing and the release date for UE5. However, if they wanted to upgrade, it wouldn’t be as difficult, time consuming or costly as some seem to believe. It can’t be compared to previous Unreal Engine upgrades which would have been considerably harder to do.

UE5 releases in late 2021. I'd like to believe Shenmue 4 will begin development before that. Hopefully its as easy and inexpensive as you say.

Back