Unused Lan Di lines

LemonHaze

Banned
So a little while ago, I looked into some audio files in Shenmue III.. and found some unused Lan Di lines!

These were all around the same directory as the files used for the entire ending of the game, so clearly they were considered to be used at some point for whatever reason.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• sm3_landi.zip
    404.4 KB · Views: 38
A collection of Lan Di grunting hehe

Did you miss the "How could you?" ?
Nah I heard that lol. Maybe it had something to do with the castle burning down but of course the last few scenes of the game were cut down alot

It seems Lan Di was being a little naughty in that castle before Ryo arrrived. No wonder he kicked Ryo's @ss. :LOL:

Great find

Nah I heard that lol. Maybe it had something to do with the castle burning down but of course the last few scenes of the game were cut down alot

Yeah it's pretty weird tbh, no idea what they had in mind tho and there's almost nothing else left over, the majority of the cutscene stuff is pretty tight, there's some exceptions to that rule with some of the GDC camera anim stuff still being present, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much else :/.

Awesome discovery! If there’s one thing that seems consistent is all the voice clips seem to have Lan Di is state of duress or surprise, which is a very interesting state for his character to be in.

“What...is this”
“How could you”

I wonder if this relates to Niaosun and her seeming betrayal of him. So many questions!

Last edited:
I wonder if this relates to Niaosun and her seeming betrayal of him. So many questions!
Yeah, this kind of makes me wonder if Niao Sun was going to attack Lan Di more directly,

Yeah, this kind of makes me wonder if Niao Sun was going to attack Lan Di more directly,

I can’t find the original Work Flow document but under composition she was listed as one of the boss battles in the game.

Her original profile sounded like she hurt people through strategy and manipulation than outright force so I do wonder if she could even fight Lan Di like that. Perhaps the original fire somehow incapacitated or temporarily hurt Lan Di?

Last edited:
Perhaps the original fire somehow incapacitated or temporarily hurt Lan Di.
I was sort of thinking of a surprise attack, but that's a pretty similar idea.

That audio kind of made me think of an, "Et tu, Brute?" sort of moment.

Maybe it was originally possible to 'beat' Lan Di in the castle and that was his reaction before the scripted loss. I doubt it but it would have been interesting.

Maybe it was originally possible to 'beat' Lan Di in the castle and that was his reaction before the scripted loss. I doubt it but it would have been interesting.
Yeah, maybe Ryo could hit Lan Di if he used some expensive move or something which probably was cut.

@LemonHaze
Have you discovered any unused texts in Shenmue 3 files?

In open world games like 3D GTA games, unused texts are pretty common and give a good idea on some of the cut content.(Since some of the texts are from the cut missions, cut mini-games.)

Very interesting. It seems like at some point it may have been possible to land a few blows on Lan Di after all. If that’s the case, I’m glad they took it out.

Thanks for sharing!

Any chance you could have a dig around in the audio files for Feng Li and Niao-Sun?

Very interesting. It seems like at some point it may have been possible to land a few blows on Lan Di after all. If that’s the case, I’m glad they took it out.

I honestly think any damage or surprise inflicted on Lan Di would have been from Niao-Sun, the fire or maybe even Shenhua in another rearranged scenario.

Back