Valve's new policy to deter PC exclusivity deals?

I think a lot of people are misinterpreting what it means. The idea is to prevent Steam being used as an advertising board for games that won't be on Steam (or will come to other platforms first).

It's simply saying that on creating a Steam page for a game, the game must be available to purchase on Steam, or must be released on Steam within 30 days of being made available anywhere else. You're still allowed to have short-term timed exclusives with a Steam page, and you're still allowed to release games on Steam after a long timed exclusive - you're just not allowed to set up a Steam page and then advertise a game that isn't available on Steam.

Common sense, really.

I think a lot of people are misinterpreting what it means. The idea is to prevent Steam being used as an advertising board for games that won't be on Steam (or will come to other platforms first).

It's simply saying that on creating a Steam page for a game, the game must be available to purchase on Steam, or must be released on Steam within 30 days of being made available anywhere else. You're still allowed to have short-term timed exclusives with a Steam page, and you're still allowed to release games on Steam after a long timed exclusive - you're just not allowed to set up a Steam page and then advertise a game that isn't available on Steam.

Common sense, really.
Yep, seems perfectly reasonable to me.

wait...so this is more of a rude awakening to steam die-hards championing this and not dev/publishers? Seems like poaching/exclsuvity deals are/were not off the table even after the fact. Oh the irony.

What on earth are you talking about?

This is saying "don't advertise your game on Steam if it's not going to be on Steam". Steam is not doing any poaching or exclusivity deals, and there is no part of that which says you're not allowed to also release your games on other platforms.

What on earth are you talking about?

This is saying "don't advertise your game on Steam if it's not going to be on Steam". Steam is not doing any poaching or exclusivity deals, and there is no part of that which says you're not allowed to also release your games on other platforms.

I'm talking about the people championing this in that reddit thread and across some sns as the antidote to the epic poaching games off steam for exclusivity deals debacle. It's ironic how people are celebrating what is basically a dud clause for the cause they're supposedly praising it for.

I'm talking about the people championing this in that reddit thread and across some sns as the antidote to the epic poaching games off steam for exclusivity deals debacle. It's ironic how people are celebrating what is basically a dud clause for the cause they're supposedly praising it for.

Ah, now I understand, my mistake.

Yeah, it doesn't stop people from going exclusive to other stores at all. Unless it can be shown that there was no intent on releasing on Steam, it's not even much of a deterrent. Hell, it's not even a new clause.

It does mean that Steam have the right to take down (e.g.) the Shenmue III forum and associated pages, as it will no longer be released first or concurrently on Steam, nor will it be released on Steam in the immediate future. The fact that it's still there and pages aren't shutting down whenever this sort of thing happens means that it's probably not in their best interests to do so and isn't written in to do that.

Back