Video 2 - Shenmue III COMBAT footage from IGN Japan (6 minutes)

looks great. voice work sound good but only thing i would say is that the lip sync seems a bit off, im interested to see what its like in japanese.

also love the idea of boosting your skills via sparring and practicing on that wooden stand. i imagine some members here will max that out lol.

Guess I keep treating this batch up gameplay videos with the same style of thought recap.
  • Enviroments are again fantastic
  • Practicing mini games look proper fun and seem to be a good way of stat building
  • Horse stance looks like pooping and I say that in a good funny way
  • One inch punch has a wicked sound effect and reminded me a lot of Iron Palm practice
  • Old man and Red Tiger NPCs look really well done
  • Shenhua casually watching Ryo fight, wonder what she has to say, she never saw him do it in II
  • Awesome to see actual Shenmue moves with original names there
  • There is a 3D animation of Ryo showing the move in the HUD, representing what we saw in the moves list in I and II?
  • Fighting looked a bit snappy but it seemed to be in Auto Mode wich elimites any directional inputs apparently?

Last edited:
It seems move-input in combat is now entirely button based rather than direction + button based. It seems like cross (or bottom button for non-PS controllers) acts as some kind of buffer into those moves.

Did anyone else see blood at 4.46? It looks like Ryo busts him open with an elbow?

The combat looks intense. I can picture getting the gamer sweats during this game - especially if that dude is trash talking me.

Loving the fighting. Looked smooth and the moves had good impact for me.

Needs smoothing off but looking good.

The training games look fun. I could easily waste hours on those.

Much better impact than the original MAGIC trailer at the QTE Title :p

You could feel that one inch punch. I cannot wait to start dishing that out on folk.

What really makes me smile is that Yu has gotten a fully fledged combat system in place, mini-games, story and everything else from what is a very small budget.

Yes sacrifices were made but pound for pound you won't find better vaule for budget.

didnt Ys say there would be 2 options for fighting, easy (simplified) and normal?
Yeah you're right, I forgot about that. I was thinking it was because of the new camera they have fixed behind Ryo at 45 degrees, but the brief combat footage we saw in the Magic trailer looked more like the old combat camera.

Oh wow, the combat looks terrible. The animations are really low-budget, the reactions to blows are awful.
I guess the difference in quality is even bigger because Shenmue's combat came from Virtua Fighter and the amazing AM2 team. This looks like something very cheap made by inexperienced people.

I'm happy for ya'll, but my interest in this game is decreasing as more gameplay is shown. The combat especially left me totally deflated, looks like a fanmade version of Shenmue.

Too bad. Hope the game still does well enough to greenlit more sequels.

These training mini-games, if they're representative of the whole, really do entice one to train moves to the max.
They look addictive and simple: QTE/arm wrestling style game play, but it rewards in ways beyond mere money.

In a way, I'm glad he doesn't much pay attention to modern games; their mini-games are a bit predictable in comparison to these charmers.

Last edited:
Did anyone else see blood at 4.46? It looks like Ryo busts him open with an elbow?

The combat looks intense. I can picture getting the gamer sweats during this game - especially if that dude is trash talking me.
i dont think its blood, shenmue is not that type of game(?) looks more like Motion blur to me.
i wonder if Ys always intended to have stylized effects?

Attachments

• C2230F26-2D6B-4C5B-90FE-70992B4ADC2C.jpeg
    C2230F26-2D6B-4C5B-90FE-70992B4ADC2C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 43
See, this shit right here is what they should've shown off yesterday. After what they barely showed and the Epic fiasco, I was becoming concerned. But now I know this is just gonna be like the Dreamcast titles that I know and love! Even the English VA is corny still! :D

I did notice a couple things - the lack of music and how half of the characters shown were fully animated and the others seemed like they were still using default presets. I'm assuming these are the main reasons for the delay.

Back