Video 2 - Shenmue III COMBAT footage from IGN Japan (6 minutes)

That's how I feel indeed. The game on video feels less like a fighting game but an action game. Which is sad because, it's a game focusing on kung fu. And Shenmue I and II really had that feeling in the movement. Here, movements feels like... weird. they're lacking something. They're lacking the combo feeling of a fighting game move.
It's difficult becase they have to build an engine from scratch on limited budget. In that respect they've worked a hell of a job. They liekly couldn't afford the VF engine.

For me it looks good, fun and the little trash talking is great.

It's difficult becase they have to build an engine from scratch on limited budget. In that respect they've worked a hell of a job. They liekly couldn't afford the VF engine.

I am not sure if they can not afford or if it was to difficult to port it to Unreal. Last VF directed by Suzuki was VF4, running on Naomi. VF5 base code is from 2005 and was released on Lindbergh. The point is I don't know if it is possible to import that kind of code into a totally different engine :/

The combat wasn't what drew me into the original games, it was everything else. From what has been shown, to me, the combat looks better than the originals. Like Orient said, it's smooth, fast and fluid.

I don't think it's only limited to the engine change. I also think it might be a direction choice and is also related to the animation work.

Looks nothing like it. If anything, it's more similar to Jade Empire.

100% what I thought when I first saw it. Gameplay-wise and progression-wise.

Not a bad thing, the fights are probably going to be very satisfying on their own but it makes the game more banal on the emotion it may convey. The last previews pointed in that direction: less immersion, more sense of RPG progression.

I expected something like this but I hope that's all.
In the gameplay videos, the banality in the design is precisely what disturbed me the most with the lack of general unity. It feels something between the Shenmue 3 we're waiting for and Sleeping Dogs vibes. I initially wrote Sleeping Dogs with Shenmue vibes but it would have been certainly unfair :p . Anyway it's always hard to judge pieces of puzzle.

Talking about Jade Empire, getting a quest as good as the Black Lepoard School in Shenmue world would be fantastic.

I don't want to be harsh, but this looks very very very stiff and robotic, theses animations are really simple... There's a lot of lack of visual feedback during the impact....

And theses facial animation...

If I'm going to complain about anything it's the weird fighting camera angle. I hope it can be moved side-on like the old games when it's 1 on 1.

?

There's the dust clouds you see in lots of martial arts films and the red/blue sparks, alongside the enemy recoiling when hit.

Compare.

After comparing footage I think the biggest difference is in the sound effects. I and II just have more oomph. We need some taiko drums.

In case you forgot, moves in Shenmue III have individual levels that upgrade through using them in combat.

Yu said mastered moves may have the force to knock opponents straight out of arena boundaries. Every move in the E3 demo is at Level 1.

Read my edit.

I know that the moves are weak and therefore won't give as much response at the beginning stages like in past games. I was wrong. I reviewed the footage and the opponent does recoil.

Combat looked perfectly functional to what I wanted. And as an aside, the areas shown in the gameplay looked great. Characters looked perfectly fine as well. Getting me more excited for the game now I get to see some actual gameplay.
Honestly, the only thing that I wasn't sold on is the weird lack of NPCs in a couple of the areas. But its still a work in progress so I can't really complain.

Overall I'm very happy with what I have seen as it just feels like Shenmue, which is all I ever wanted! I agree somethings do look a little janky animation wise, but once I'm playing the game, I'm sure I'll get over it quick.

On this topic, I wonder if part of the Epic deal might involve some aid from a few of their animation artists. Epic are the ones who own this engine, so I'm sure they have a massive team of people who know everything these is to know about it. Imagine if Yu made a deal for them to lend a hand tweaking/polishing up the animations or something to that extent. I'm sure people would look upon the deal in a better light if that were the case :p

Side note, cannot wait to see the up to date build with music. That is going to be incredible! 1 hour 22 to go!

Oh wow, the combat looks terrible. The animations are really low-budget, the reactions to blows are awful.
I guess the difference in quality is even bigger because Shenmue's combat came from Virtua Fighter and the amazing AM2 team. This looks like something very cheap made by inexperienced people.

I'm happy for ya'll, but my interest in this game is decreasing as more gameplay is shown. The combat especially left me totally deflated, looks like a fanmade version of Shenmue.

Too bad. Hope the game still does well enough to greenlit more sequels.

It is. People don't think of Yu Suzuki as a creative director but instead see a wizard that can replicate what SEGA during their peak created under his leadership.

From the start I said it would be easier to build uppon the foundation. From Shenmue IV onwards, I wonder if it wouldn't be more cost effective to simply use the engine the remasters of I and II are running on.

Then again, there could be limitations that don't allow to build a game on it.

Back