Video 3 - Shenmue III WOOD CHOPPING footage from IGN Japan (3 minutes)

Considering the eyes move in plenty of other shots, they likely do. That particular one is an extreme outlier, and pretending that's the quality throughout is disingenuous.

I think calling the above example an 'extreme outlier' is far more disingenuous. I've watched all the gameplay videos and it's very rare that Ryo's eyes move. For instance they're completely static when he uses the gashapon too:

If you don't care or think it's a non-issue that's totally fine, I won't argue with that. But I personally think the characters look a little dead inside right now.

I think calling the above example an 'extreme outlier' is far more disingenuous. I've watched all the gameplay videos and it's very rare that Ryo's eyes move. For instance they're completely static when he uses the gashapon too:

If you don't care or think it's a non-issue that's totally fine, I won't argue with that. But I personally think the characters look a little dead inside right now.
We see Ryo's eyes move in the mini-game/capsule toy video as early as the second direct shot of his face. Actually his brows furrow here too.

Not sure if you also noticed throughout these videos, but Ryo's head and eyes will turn towards people and objects of interest. The eyes likely move a lot more than you think they do, but aren't seen unless you swing the camera around to the front. By the time the conversation camera kicks in, Ryo's eyes have already locked onto something.

The images aren't the best illustration and the movement is easier to see in motion, but just as examples:

sequence08.00_00_39_0ixjkv.jpg

sequence08.00_00_39_272jiq.jpg

sequence08.00_00_40_2f5kxj.jpg

It's definitely not perfect, but cherry picking examples to say Ys Net doesn't consider it an issue is false, when they've gone through the trouble of making Ryo's head and eyes track the things he's interacting with. Don't mistake him keeping focus on something, with staring blankly into space in a few outlier cases.

Those shots of Ryo don't bother me in the slightest.

But frankly, I prefer that rather than an umpteenth gauge like the rock breaking minigame at Golder Qr. or the tree gauge at South Carmain Qr. THIS would have been very boring.
Yeah, the wood chopping is no sillier than shifting boxes with Delin, which was downright ridiculous. At least executing an accurate chop looks rather satisfying. The shop keeper's loving every minute of it, whereas working alongside Delin was more...a test of patience :p The feedback on all the mini games looks really good in my opinion.

The depth of the mini games seem comparable to Shenmue II to me. Some of the gambling options are identical, turtle racing feels like the new arm wrestling (hammering the QTE to win), maybe fishing will become the new darts -- I'm pretty sure fishing comps have been mentioned?

One-inch punch looks awesome, and not as finicky as the "golf swing" bar that appears a few times in Shenmue II. In fact, it feels like they're trying harder to integrate the visual feedback into the scenes themselves, instead of just whacking a bar in the corner or whatever.

And we haven't even seen the arcades yet and what's on offer there. There could be different gambling options elsewhere...we just don't know yet! Exciting times.

It's definitely not perfect, but cherry picking examples to say Ys Net doesn't consider it an issue is false, when they've gone through the trouble of making Ryo's head and eyes track the things he's interacting with. Don't mistake him keeping focus on something, with staring blankly into space in a few outlier cases.

Well you're cherry-picking too, and there's a lot less cherries for you to pick ;). I stand by the fact that Ryo's eyes are static in the majority of his interactions with people or objects. You're suggesting his eyes also move when the camera is behind him? C'mon. He focuses on nothing in particular for the entire gashapon sequence, so there's no way the animators are adding eyeball animation we can't even see.

At least I think we both agree that it needs work.

Well you're cherry-picking too, and there's a lot less cherries for you to pick ;). I stand by the fact that Ryo's eyes are static in the majority of his interactions with people or objects. You're suggesting his eyes also move when the camera is behind him? C'mon. He focuses on nothing in particular for the entire gashapon sequence, so there's no way the animators are adding eyeball animation we can't even see.

At least I think we both agree that it needs work.
It's observed behaviour of how the game works.

Ryo moves his head to look at people and objects he can interact with - fact.

Ryo's eyes are off-centre in many cases when the camera cuts to his face, ergo they moved - fact.

It's also a.) not something we won't see because you can move the camera 360 degrees around Ryo if we wish to, and b.) not hand animated because it's a dynamic process based on Ryo's positioning and likely done through an algorithm or something.

Ryo's eyes are off-centre in many cases when the camera cuts to his face, ergo they moved - fact.

'Many cases', sure. The majority of cases? Big nope.

Also you say it's probably a dynamic process, but there's no dynamic process during the gashapon or minigame scenes. His eyes do nothing most of the time. As I say, if you're fine with it then that's cool. But as I and many others have noticed, SIII'S faces look kinda dead.

'Many cases', sure. The majority of cases? Big nope.

Also you say it's probably a dynamic process, but there's no dynamic process during the gashapon or minigame scenes. His eyes do nothing most of the time. As I say, if you're fine with it then that's cool. But as I and many others have noticed, SIII'S faces look kinda dead.
Again... don't mistake looking at something or someone, for staring into space. Ryo's eyes aren't going to be wiggling all over the place if he's directly looking at the person in front of him. It's observed behaviour of how the game works in certain cases, but not all.

You originally said "Every time I watch new Shenmue III footage I hope and pray that the character's pupils will move, but I'm always disappointed". They factually do, as has already been proven. It's not a particularly tough idea to grasp, but you're pretty insistent on seeing what you want to see and bending around the facts to suit you.

You were being disingenuous about it before, as you are now.

Again... don't mistake looking at something or someone, for staring into space. Ryo's eyes aren't going to be wiggling all over the place if he's directly looking at the person in front of him. It's observed behaviour of how the game works in certain cases, but not all.

You originally said "Every time I watch new Shenmue III footage I hope and pray that the character's pupils will move, but I'm always disappointed". They factually do, as has already been proven. It's not a particularly tough idea to grasp, but you're pretty insistent on seeing what you want to see and bending around the facts to suit you.

You were being disingenuous about it before, as you are now.

If you cannot see any issue, whatsoever, with the examples I've given you then... well, I don't know what to say. I think we live in different dimensions. After all, the examples I've shown show EXACTLY what I've described. Sure, Ryo's eyes sometimes move, yes, but most of the time they are static and dead. Many fans has commented on this fact too.

You accuse me of cherry-picking and being disingenuous, but you're only describing yourself here.

Is nobody else going to comment on the poor grammar in the subtitles? This worries me a lot more than the perceived lack of eye movement.

The last thing we need is for a game that will be sold predominantly in the west to be littered with mistakes and grammatical errors.

Is nobody else going to comment on the poor grammar in the subtitles? This worries me a lot more than the perceived lack of eye movement.

The last thing we need is for a game that will be sold predominantly in the west to be littered with mistakes and grammatical errors.
It's not finished.

If you cannot see any issue, whatsoever, with the examples I've given you then... well, I don't know what to say. I think we live in different dimensions. After all, the examples I've shown show EXACTLY what I've described. Sure, Ryo's eyes sometimes move, yes, but most of the time they are static and dead. Many fans has commented on this fact too.

You accuse me of cherry-picking and being disingenuous, but you're only describing yourself here.
Fuck me, are you being dense on purpose?

EDIT:

The above is a bit rude but I'm not going to remove it. I've given you specific examples and even described plainly obvious game behaviour we can observe, I've not even said it's totally A+ fine across the board either, but you're still insisting on stubbornly standing behind your original statement WHICH WAS NOT FACTUALLY TRUE.

Fuck me, are you being dense on purpose?

Well that's a shame. Maybe take a break from your tantrum and instead read the numerous other comments throughout this forum that complain about the janky, expressionless faces. I guess they're all dense too? Or the previews by game journalists mentioning the exact same problem I've shown you. Are they all dense? You sit alone on your fantasy island, but I can understand, I'm sure life is easier there.

What bothers me about this minigame is the third-party perspective; it doesn’t really feel right for a Shenmue game. I think a first-person perspective, similar to how they setup the darts minigame, would feel better, though it might lower how many pieces of wood Ryo can split.

Or maybe Tao-san has opened up a new department store branch in Bailu and has given up on Ajiichi.

Back