Video game intros

Well, we have a thread for best endings, so I figured why not talk about games with great opening sections? Whether it’s just the cutscenes themselves that impress you or something more specific or the entire first level or section, etc.

I have a few in mind, a couple Zelda games in particular; I feel both Majora’s Mask as well as Breath of the Wild do a great job at introducing you to their worlds and how everything works without feeling like too much of a tutorial. MM was a bit daunting when I was a kid, granted I was pretty dumb back then, but eventually I picked it back up on GameCube and finally pushed myself through what I considered a much more difficult game than Ocarina of Time or Wind Waker.

Similar there’s Metroid Prime 2, my first attempt to actually finish a game in the series and felt just as tough, but I’m glad to have gone through it and call it my favorite. The zombie stuff still kind of scares me despite it being far more tame than your average zombie game, but maybe it’s more how claustrophobic and maze like the caves feel. Either way, I feel like this part did better to convey a compelling narrative without going a bit too overboard like Prime 3 did.

Shadow of the Colossus is pretty brilliant, there’s really nothing I don’t enjoy about it other than how long it takes to get control of Wander. Soundtrack, cinematography, the way the story is set up, all exceptional.

Final Fantasy VI is a bit simplistic but the art style and music really give it a very strong sense of atmosphere.

Out of all of Grasshoppers’ games to choose from, I feel I might have to give the nod to No More Heroes 2 starting out with a boss battle even if it still feels a bit too tutorialish. There are a lot of jokes repeated from the first game, and a lot of NMH2 is just that, but I also feel it does a good job of setting the slightly more serious tone. Other than that, I did also enjoy Killer is Dead, though the entire script for that game keeps me wondering if much of the disjointed feeling is done on purpose.

Lastly, there’s God Hand...similar in bizarre dialogue but I feel it’s so outlandish here that it just enhances the whole thing.

NHL 2K has a pretty freakin' classic intro. Decent hockey game, too. Not as good as 2K2 or 2K3 or 98, which are my trifecta of perfection (NHL96 is a very close 4th and 5th is rounded out by All Star '98 on Saturn).

a lot of times i boot up 2K rather than 2K2 once in a blue moon simply to watch the intro and hear Bob Cole and Harry Neal commentators. 2K2 has horrid script, so the commentator is much worse than IRL and the intro is just OK. Perfected gameplay and gfx touch-ups are where it counted best for achieving a vast improvement over the original.

I). Shenmue: Chapter One Yokosuka - To this day, I have never seen a more masterful opening then this one. We start out with the opening scene of Shenhua reciting the prophecy. Immediately you are sucked in by the ambience, the music, and incredible graphics (in 1999) which is simply majestic. When we are introduced to the main game, the atmosphere, music, graphics, and tension set up our main characters and the central conflict. It is simply a masterpiece of an intro that I will never forget.

II). Lunar The Silver Star - The goal of any good introduction is to get excited for the adventure ahead of you and this game achieves this in spades. The original Sega CD introduction may look crude by today’s standards, but its music and visuals simply elevated my excitement for the world and its characters.

The animated introduction for Silver Star Story Complete on the original PlayStation is probably one of my favorite introductions in role playing games period. The beauty lies in its simplicity and whimsical tone.

III). Final Fantasy - When it comes to Final Fantasy, there are three openings that stick out to me. The first one being from the original 1987 classic. It was the bridge introduction that sets up the whole mythos of the Final Fantasy universe.

Final Fantasy VI’s opening is simply just unforgettable, trudging through the winter landscape, overpowering everything in your path, and encountering the mysterious Phantom Beast. Only to know that this is just the beginning of unraveling a grand narrative filled with compelling human drama.

The final opening/introduction from Final Fantasy is from Final Fantasy VII. I admit I am a bit biased here since it was the first role playing game I ever played. Everything about it just blew me away back in 1997; mainly due to being one hell of an action packed opening.

IV). Tenchu Stealth Assassins - Music, Atmosphere, and captures the feeling of being a shinobi.

V). Onimusha 3 Demon’s Siege - The introduction is simply just cinematic in scope and scale. I could not help but marvel in awe over the exceptional choreography and music.

Last edited:
My all time Favorite would be Ninja Gaiden for the nes. The showdown between the two ninjas running at each other, clashing swords against the moon, and that wonderful music that kicks when he dies....
that intro will always stick with me as to what a real ninja fight should be.

The Last of Us has a pretty damn memorable opening..

Final Fantasy VIII's opening cinematic is still among my favorites (that damn music.)

The opening to Shenmue is still riveting. Not talking about the prophecy reading. Rather the opening cut scene with Iwao and Lan Di. Wastes no time in setting up its conflict and is still leaves the same impact on me as it was the first time I saw it. Great combination of music, intrigue and tragedy.

Gonna separate this into Intros (before you press start) and actual openings (after you press start):

Intros:

Basically, all the Yakuza games (with the Japanese Soundtrack, save for 3, which does it better with the localisation): all the clips to the awesome, rocking tunes, makes it so awesome. Standouts for me are 1, 2, Kenzan!, Kurohyo, Kurohyo 2, 5 and 0.

'mue and 'mue II: No need to elaborate.

Total Annihilation: Seriously, watch it. So epic (in style) and awesome.

Gale Racer: Just played this over the weekend, it is actually very well done for a Saturn launch title and there's pretty good, fullscreen FMV as well.

Skies of Arcadia: Fun and bouncy intro, love seeing all the different characters and their foibles.

Formula One World Championship: Beyond the Limit: Like with the ending, just a treat for F1 fans, but despite the grainy FMV, the music is what makes this really stand out; it pumps me up to death whenever I watch it.

Final Fight: IMO, the best intro for any game ever, 4th gen and earlier. Still contend that this would make a great film.

Zero Wing: Infamous Engrish aside, it is well-done, well-animated and the music rocks.

Openings:

'mue, mue' II and 'mue III: the former because, we all know why lol, the middle because that opening theme along with all the images of HK, etc., is just awesome and the latter because it was amazing to be back in the cave, knowing we were about to get out.

Lunar: Eternal Blue: like the ending, the intro is just fantastic and seeing Lucia walk out and view Earth, with that awesome music, just wonderfully-done.

Yakuzas 3 and 6: 3 is just BEYOND well set-up and everything comes together beautifully. 6 because it is seamless with 5 and Sobo has the feels <3.

While there are a ton more, this is all I can think of right now lol

Back