Village Legend - Ancient Emporer (conversation on Cloud Bird Trail)

So this has been touched on in a couple of places, but I wanted to dedicate a topic to what we learned about WHEN the mirrors were created in Shenmue 3, and harken back to a conversation with Shenhua from Shenmue 2 that I remembered (when awkward jump cuts didn't threaten your sanity while talking to her)

Clearly the prophecy - which is still part of the canon - references a destiny predetermined since "ancient" times. I was rather surprised when it was revealed in Shenmue 3 that the emporer had the mirrors created in 1910, as I'm sure others were too. And a conversation Ryo has on Cloud Bird Trail with Shenhua clearly states there is a legend in Bailu that an ancient emperor had mirrors made and many lives were lost as people fought over its power. Link and conversation below:

Shenhua; Ryo, can I ask you something?
Ryo: What is it?
Shenhua: It's about that Phoenix Mirror. On the diagram in my father's room, there was a design of a dragon as well.
Ryo: Yeah. My father had another Mirror with a dragon on it.
Shenhua: What happened to the mirror of the Dragon?
Ryo: It was stolen by the man who killed my father - Lan Di!
Shenhua: Killed?
Ryo: Oh, that's right.
Shenhua: Your father was killed...because of the mirror?
Ryo: Because of the mirror?
Shenhua: A village legend says the ancient Emporer had mirrors made from Phantom River Stone. But the rulers fought for the mirrors, trying to get its hidden power...and some even lost their lives because of it.
Ryo: I didn't know there was such a legend

To me, the mystery and intrigue behind the mirrors feels more appropriate if these were ancient artifacts - whether or not their ultimate function is simply unlocking a monetary treasure, or something more supernatural (we now have pretty conflicting tidbits from three different games in regards to the purpose of the mirrors), they always seemed mysterious because they were made long, long ago.

But in Shenmue 3, the mirrors were revealed to have been created in 1910. This time frame DOES coincide with the end of the Qing Dynasty, which wasn't referenced in Shenmue 3 was but WAS referenced by Yuanda Zhu in Shenmue 2. So, the fact the mirrors were created recently might not be a retcon, as those two facts do line up.

If that's the case, should we disregard this legend of Bailu regarding ancient mirrors that I've quoted above? No such legend was mentioned in Shenmue 3 - frustratingly enough, Shenhua knew about this legend regarding a mirror made from ANCIENT times at the end of Shenmue 2, but in Shenmue 3 she knows nothing about the mirrors that were made as recently as 70 years ago (in fact, no one seems to realize the envoy in 1910 and the mirrors that were created were significant details. If it was such a big deal for the imperial envoy to visit the city, that a special bridge was built, why was the actual reason for their visit forgotten by everyone except Sun and Yeh?)

The other possibility exists that there is a parallel event from more ancient times that ties into the relatively recent event of creating the mirrors. Shenhua's mysterious origin and link to her ancestors was directly referenced in Shenmue 3 and she alludes to a feeling that she has had hundreds of birthdays - I do not think that this link she has to her past only goes back so far as 1910.

Again it may be useless discussing this since the discontinuity between games probably doesn't have a logical answer and can be chalked up to bad storytelling or retcons, but you would think something like the origin of the Mirrors would not have changed over the years.

The lack of continuity is really maddening at this point. It almost feels like we have different writers who are not on the same page in each installment. I feel this may sound like venting, but if Shenmue IV is miraculously greenlighted, a part of me is almost afraid they’d screw up the story even further to the point where our battle with Lan Di is cheapened to just grinding to learn a single QTE move like “Reverse Inverted Super Body Check”.

So this has been touched on in a couple of places, but I wanted to dedicate a topic to what we learned about WHEN the mirrors were created in Shenmue 3, and harken back to a conversation with Shenhua from Shenmue 2 that I remembered (when awkward jump cuts didn't threaten your sanity while talking to her)

Clearly the prophecy - which is still part of the canon - references a destiny predetermined since "ancient" times. I was rather surprised when it was revealed in Shenmue 3 that the emporer had the mirrors created in 1910, as I'm sure others were too. And a conversation Ryo has on Cloud Bird Trail with Shenhua clearly states there is a legend in Bailu that an ancient emperor had mirrors made and many lives were lost as people fought over its power. Link and conversation below:

To me, the mystery and intrigue behind the mirrors feels more appropriate if these were ancient artifacts - whether or not their ultimate function is simply unlocking a monetary treasure, or something more supernatural (we now have pretty conflicting tidbits from three different games in regards to the purpose of the mirrors), they always seemed mysterious because they were made long, long ago.

But in Shenmue 3, the mirrors were revealed to have been created in 1910. This time frame DOES coincide with the end of the Qing Dynasty, which wasn't referenced in Shenmue 3 was but WAS referenced by Yuanda Zhu in Shenmue 2. So, the fact the mirrors were created recently might not be a retcon, as those two facts do line up.

If that's the case, should we disregard this legend of Bailu regarding ancient mirrors that I've quoted above? No such legend was mentioned in Shenmue 3 - frustratingly enough, Shenhua knew about this legend regarding a mirror made from ANCIENT times at the end of Shenmue 2, but in Shenmue 3 she knows nothing about the mirrors that were made as recently as 70 years ago (in fact, no one seems to realize the envoy in 1910 and the mirrors that were created were significant details. If it was such a big deal for the imperial envoy to visit the city, that a special bridge was built, why was the actual reason for their visit forgotten by everyone except Sun and Yeh?)

The other possibility exists that there is a parallel event from more ancient times that ties into the relatively recent event of creating the mirrors. Shenhua's mysterious origin and link to her ancestors was directly referenced in Shenmue 3 and she alludes to a feeling that she has had hundreds of birthdays - I do not think that this link she has to her past only goes back so far as 1910.

Again it may be useless discussing this since the discontinuity between games probably doesn't have a logical answer and can be chalked up to bad storytelling or retcons, but you would think something like the origin of the Mirrors would not have changed over the years.

^ This, possibly the parallel theory that there were more ancient mirrors based off the prototype/design Yuan has but that the phoenix and dragon are sacred symbols to the emperor (maybe this ties in with Shenhua of actually being descended from an empress or reincarnated from one). Additionally it seems the material being used specifically phantom river stone being found only in Bailu village attributes the importance of the stone so perhaps the actual stone and location is more important than when the mirrors were created. Yuan and his family for some reason were fixated on recreating large versions of these and the phoenix mirror is used similar to a key in the cave.

Perhaps the newer mirror is in reference to a creation signifying a date in contrast to the history of these mirrors being gifted to the Chinese Emperors during specific dynasties.

I had always assumed that it was the prophecy that was ancient, rather than the mirrors. The mirrors being less than 100 years old doesn’t mean that the prophecy can’t have been foretold in ancient times.

One day the Emperor will visit Bailu. Mirrors will be made. The one who holds the phoenix mirror will find Shenhua. Stuff will happen as a result.

The Qing Dynasty ended in 1911.. the previous year, 1910, the Emperor and Empress ordered a Dragon and a Phoenix mirror to be made in Guilin... maybe this was supposed to be an attempt to hold into their power?

Or maybe they fought over the mirror's resulting of the end of Imperial China?

Which mirrors? The miniature ones? Or the giant ones?

Maybe of these are the ancient ones.

Back