Virtua Fighter Series

Virtua Fighter 2 is straight up one of my favorite games ever made...period.

Sure, VF4 and VF5 trounce it in terms of gameplay refinements...but there is something about VF2 that always gets me coming back to it...be it the soundtrack or the simplicity of it. It's just an outstanding fighting game through and through

(one of my recent playthroughs with Sarah)

The animation for its time was blisteringly outstanding...it is the game that taught me the raw basics of frame data...and it's just a damn fun game to play. Easy to learn, but still difficult to master.

Is it even humanly possible to do the stun palm of doom? Asking for a friend who's struggling...

It's possible, but the timing has to be pretty precise from memory. (like all things VF)

VF2 Playthroughs
-----------------------------------------

Shun Di

Sarah Bryant

Jeffry McWild

Mitsuyoshi only composed the soundtrack for Virtua Fighter up to the third game.
But we can hear an amazing track by Mitsuyoshi in VF5 FS. Love it. Especially, when you heard an old VF anime opening It makes to feel a little sad...

By the way, I watched the first seasons of VF anime, but does anyone know where can I find the second season with English subs? I googled it, but couldn't find.

Last edited:
Is it even humanly possible to do the stun palm of doom? Asking for a friend who's struggling...
Definitely possible, it's just a timing thing. One of the few somewhat hard execution moves in VF.
Have you tried going to command training and hitting the demonstration button? I believe this move has a demonstration video for the inputs :)

By the way, I watched the first seasons of VF anime, but does anyone know where can I find the second season with English subs? I googled it, but couldn't find.
I want to know this too! I planned to watch the first season but noticed the second season isn't around?

The character designs began to 'jump the shark' with Virtua Fighter 4 and on.. Don't get me wrong, IMHO Virtua Fighter is hands down the greatest fighting series of all time, and to me - the pinnacle was Virtua Fighter 3 Team Battle. VF1, VF2 and VF3 were all legendary and stand on their own feet. I play each of them for different reasons.

Virtua Fighter 4 felt like it was geared more toward a "home console port" like the other popular fighters of the day. Which was fantastic in some aspects (training), but the addition of other things, like special effects - felt like a cop out for the series. I was seriously let down by VF4 and VF5's additional characters.

This may or may not have to do with Yu's limited input on the later games. I would love to see Yu helm Virtua Fighter 6 using VF3tb characters and do what the series was known best for - the cutting edge of graphics that has no equal in any other format.

They had a VF3 machine on display in the Smithsonian. That is how advanced it was for its day. I would love to see VF6 done in the same vein.

VF3 was my favourite game for years, I remember watching it on a Megalo 2 cabinet around 96/97 and my brain exploded, character breathing, water splashing, I thought that that was best graphics a videogame could ever had. I was pretty dissapointed with the DC port, because the beach scenario was at night instead of day, and that was my favourite stage. That said I understan the move back to VF2 from VF4 to VF5FS. It is my favourite fighting franchise and it is the reason I ended falling in love with Shenmue back in the day.

I hope VF6 will be a launching title on the PS5, it is my only hope. Also, it is the kind of game I could buy a console to play a game alone, I did that with Xbox 360, I bought my VF5 copy like 2 years before the console

Funny enough, compared to Soul Calibur of the day, it was seen as old. Yet, it has actually aged quite well. Besides the knuckle joints on hands, the models overall and environments still look great today in VGA. Soul Calibur still looks better because they struck gold. but the chasm is not nearly as wide as reviews back in '99 would lead you to believe.

Funny enough, compared to Soul Calibur of the day, it was seen as old. Yet, it has actually aged quite well. Besides the knuckle joints on hands, the models overall and environments still look great today in VGA. Soul Calibur still looks better because they struck gold. but the chasm is not nearly as wide as reviews back in '99 would lead you to believe.
But it looks a little bit worse than the Model 3 version. I love the game, it was my main reason to get a Dreamcast, but both Soul Calibur and DoA2 looked better.
Also, I still think how the VF4 version would have look since I don't recall any Naomi 2 running on DC

VF1, don't think they had 3.

VF3.

Officially, this won't happen until an April 6, 1998, ceremony that will take place in Washington, DC, but already the curators are searching out the perfect spot for a Virtua Fighter 3 arcade cabinet the Japanese game maker has graciously offered to the museum.

Akira seems so much more manageable for a scrub like me in 2 than in 3. I actually struggle more trying to play Pai in 2 than Akira.

I have always found Pai to be more user-friendly, in the earlier games; has easier combos, not as many counters (whereas a good portion of Akira's moveset is strictly counters) and she's MUCH faster on the P+K front.

I have always found Pai to be more user-friendly, in the earlier games; has easier combos, not as many counters (whereas a good portion of Akira's moveset is strictly counters) and she's MUCH faster on the P+K front.
For me Pai was like fast Lau, but never my type of character.
My most used character list
VF1 (PC Version): Jacky, Lau
VF2: Jacky, Lion
VF3: Jacky, Sarah, Wolf, Jeffrey
VF4: Jacky, Wolf, Sarah, Jeffrey
VF5: Jacky Wolf, Sarah, Jeffrey

Yup, that's it in a nutshell, especially in 1; they are the only characters that have a P, P, P, K combo (Kage too, but his is different), that the computer spams to death. For me:

VF: Wolf, Kage
VF2: Wolf, Kage
VF3: Wolf
VF4: Never played
VF5: Wolf

lol

Back