VOTE Shenmue in Retro Gamer top 100 games of all time!

We send our 100 favourites or just Shenmue? Oh I wish the second is the answer.
Edit: I missed the info about sending 20 in there. Reminder, no internet while swimming in ibuprofen.

Last edited:
first draft:

1. Shenmue*
2. MGS3-1-2-PW+Metal Gear*
3. Resident EvilCV-2–1-0-3-4
4. Jet Set Radio*
5. Phantasy Star Online*
6. Sonic Jam+Adventure*
7. MegaMan4-5-3-2-6+Legends*
8. Ico*
9. Syberia*
10. Half Life*
11. Toy Commander
12. Yakuza 1+2
13. Omikron
14. Virtua Tennis2-1
15. SegaRally 2+SegaGT+Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2-1+Gran Turismo 2-3
16. NHL96-98-2001+AllStar98-2K2-2K3
17. Mario Bros All Stars+NewSMB
18. Trizeal+Under Defeat+Trigger Heart Exelica+Cannon Spike-Zero Gunner 2+Ikaruga+Giga Wing*
19. GTA3-VC-SA
20. Virtua Fighter3/4/2

*Denotes entire game series
[Includes pre7th gen remakes]

Cheated a bit with shooter, racer and NHL titles lumped together, as well as the What's Shenmue demo; plus the Wii and DS games in there, although they're each 6th gen machines at heart, after all... challenging myself to include 100 individual games in my list of 20 series--78 so far by my count!

Last edited:
Done, I know my list is a bit weird lmao but there it is.
1- Shenmue 2
2 - Shenmue 1
3 - Bully (Canis Canem Edit)
4 - Yakuza kiwami 2
5 - Shenmue 3
6 - sleeping dogs
7 - Judgment
8 - Saints Row 2
9 - GTA 4
10 - Final Fight Streetwise (yeah, ik, i like it)
11 - Urban Reign
12 - Red Dead 2
13 - Tekken 5
14 - River City Ransom
15 - Kurohyō 2: Ryū ga Gotoku Ashura Hen
16 - GTA San Andreas
17 - Saints Row 1
18 - The Warriors
19 - Sly cooper 3
20 - Dej Jam Fight For NY

edit: didnt saw The cut-off point is PS2/DC ERA at first

Last edited:
1 - Shenmue
2 - Shenmue 2
3 - .........

I've hit a road block already. Not because I can't think of any games, it's simply that there are too many to choose from :LOL:

Alright here's my stupid list that I sent them. 100% NOT my actual top 20 nor is the order a relative ranking (aside from preferring S1 to S2). Just typed random games I like without much thought because constructing a top 20 is too stressful. :oops:

1) Shenmue
2) Shenmue 2
3) Space Harrier
4) Panzer Dragoon Zwei
5) King of Fighters 95
6) Skies of Arcadia
7) Jet Set Radio
8) Sonic Adventure
9) Sonic the Hedgehog 2
10) Real Bout Fatal Fury
11) Virtua Fighter 3
12) Crazy Taxi 2
13) Mutation Nation
14) Streets of Rage 3
15) Art of Fighting
16) Armed Police Batrider
17) Revenge of Shinobi
18) NiGHTS into Dreams
19) Phantasy Star IV
20) Dangun Feveron

The deed is done. Kind of hard to stretch it to 20 though, there aren’t really that many games I genuinely care too much about it would seem.

Obviously spots 1-3 occupied by Shenmue.

Beyond that, Suikoden 1-5 plus Tactics, Alundra, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Streets of Rage 2, FF Adventure, Chrono Trigger, Ocarina of Time, Link’s Awakening, Alex Kidd in Shinobi World, Medievil, Mario Kart Double Dash, Space Harrier

Last edited:
The deed is done. Kind of hard to stretch it to 20 though, there aren’t really that many games I genuinely care too much about it would seem.

Obviously spots 1-3 occupied by Shenmue.

Beyond that, Suikoden 1-5 plus Tactics, Alundra, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Streets of Rage 2, FF Adventure, Chrono Trigger, Ocarina of Time, Link’s Awakening, Alex Kidd in Shinobi World, Medievil, Mario Kart Double Dash, Space Harrier
Alundra along a pocket hints book made me the happiest kid in town long ago. And Medievil, that one I recall being a christmas launch in my country (PAL) and father allowed me not hour limits... Boy oh boy.

Yeah filling the 20 its a bit of pain but then we can't complain if a random title doesn't made it to the final list xD anyway I stretched to the point of Oregon Trail (which really was a milestone in videogames concept).

Medievil - this never fails to tickle me

Alundra - vastly overlooked, the graphics, soundtrack and atmosphere are incredible, horrible, beautiful, the last bit at the end just before the final boss means an awful lot to me for reasons I’ll not go into, but it was one of those things that I can’t shake.

I didn’t realize this was something submitted by email. Figured it was just a Twitter thing.

Gonna spitball something here for reference later:

1. Shenmue II
2. Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
3. Dragon Quest V
4. Phantasy Star Online
5. Space Channel 5 Part 2
6. Suikoden III
7. Monster World IV
8. Dragon Slayer
9. Panzer Dragoon Zwei
10. Resident Evil: Code Veronica
11. Illbleed
12. Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
13. Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei
14. Terra Phantastica
15. Wings of Madoola
16. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
17. Final Fantasy III (J)
18. Umihara Kawase
19. Terranigma
20. Legend of Mana

Always tough for me to squeeze things in to a list like this, so it’s one game per series/franchise. Is it actually that they’re collecting lists of 20 to build a list of 100? Would be a lot easier for me to actually go out to 100, myself. I might make room for Shenmue at 20 before I send it off. I might also remember a couple of games and end up with complete chaos. We’ll find out.

I didn’t realize this was something submitted by email. Figured it was just a Twitter thing.

Gonna spitball something here for reference later:

1. Shenmue II
2. Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
3. Dragon Quest V
4. Phantasy Star Online
5. Space Channel 5 Part 2
6. Suikoden III
7. Monster World IV
8. Dragon Slayer
9. Panzer Dragoon Zwei
10. Resident Evil: Code Veronica
11. Illbleed
12. Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
13. Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei
14. Terra Phantastica
15. Wings of Madoola
16. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
17. Final Fantasy III (J)
18. Umihara Kawase
19. Terranigma
20. Legend of Mana

Always tough for me to squeeze things in to a list like this, so it’s one game per series/franchise. Is it actually that they’re collecting lists of 20 to build a list of 100? Would be a lot easier for me to actually go out to 100, myself. I might make room for Shenmue at 20 before I send it off. I might also remember a couple of games and end up with complete chaos. We’ll find out.
I came REALLY damn close to putting Illbleed on mine. I don't know what it is about that game, of all games. There's just something utterly fascinating and special about it. Also reminds me I need to get back to finishing Sayonara Umihara Kawase. I played it for 4 hours straight in a weekend session when I first got my Steam Deck and for some reason have never booted it up since. The gameplay is fun, but there's also just something about the atmosphere created by the music and visuals I remember really sucking me in.

I came REALLY damn close to putting Illbleed on mine. I don't know what it is about that game, of all games. There's just something utterly fascinating and special about it. Also reminds me I need to get back to finishing Sayonara Umihara Kawase. I played it for 4 hours straight in a weekend session when I first got my Steam Deck and for some reason have never booted it up since. The gameplay is fun, but there's also just something about the atmosphere created by the music and visuals I remember really sucking me in.
Illbleed is just nuts. The fact that it exists is some sort of blessing. I don’t really enjoy the Yakuza games, but I imagine Illbleed gives me something that Yakuza gives other people, like, ‘This is completely insane, and I am here for it.’ I played Blue Stinger after Illbleed, so while it was kind of similar, I didn’t enjoy it as much because it was more silly action movie instead of silly B-horror movie.

I actually just busted open an original model Vita a couple weeks ago that I’d been sitting on after picking up for $40 about a decade ago, and popped in Sayonara Umihara Kawase on it, myself. I love the series for the gameplay, which is something that should just have a bunch of knock offs by now, right, but it is a very chill game—while you clutch the controller, palms sweating, and eyes peeled open, trying to bungee up a completely vertical incline with flying seahorses on your tail, hoping to make it to a secret door to open an unseen level. Clearing the first game is one of those things that lives on my mental gaming achievements mantle. In a perfect world the roles would be reversed, and Mario would be virtually unknown, while Kawase chan has hundreds of games, and is doing Sega Bass Fishing competitions, catching massively bloated tadpoles in Sonic and Umihara Kawase at the Olympic Games.

Back