We could have Shenmue 4 for just $3,703 apiece!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this idea seems "out there" but hear me out. Why don't we all just give YsNet $20 Million to make Shenmue 4 for us?

There are 5,400 members of Shenmuedojo and if each of use just donated $3,703, we'd collectively have $20 Million!

I know that each of us would gladly purchase Shenmue 4 for $3,703 so let's all just donate that amount to YsNet!

$3,703 is really not that much money to come up with for an individual (it's just saving $10 a day for 1 year). We could just nominate someone here (who is eminently trustworthy) to be the treasurer and pool all our funds into that persons bank account. Then the treasurer visits YsNet with a check for $20 Million and viola! Shenmue 4 is officially funded and in development!

Plus now that we're the funders of Shenmue 4, we could create some "rules" for Suzuki-San to follow.

1.) NOT a story about thugs.

2.) Only 1 paywall in the game (max $500) and the ability to save-scum

3.). The floating sword must be explained.

4.) Rate of stamina loss reduced by 33% and QTE timing window increased by 33%

5.) The 4 Chi-You Men Leaders must be introduced.

6.). Baisha must be in the game WITH character perspective system.

7.) Option for Shenhua to wear her classic outfit.

No doubt Suzuki San will agree to these demands in exchange for our $20 Million check.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I participated in the Kickstarter but I can't say I would be willing to shed £3'500+ for one single game alone. Especially within the UK with the country on a Cost of Living crisis it's a TALL ask o_O

I'm happy to support the game but it's hardly our sole responsibility.

Plus now that we're the funders of Shenmue 4, we could create some "rules" for Suzuki-San to follow.

I wouldn't presume to tell Yu how to make his game.

I mean, it wouldn't be a lot of money if I didn't have to spend over £2,000 on new lounge windows, over £6,000 on a new bathroom and potentially god knows how many thousands having my floorboards dug up to fix a broken pipe under my house.

Otherwise though, I would probably cough up the money if this became a serious plan and everyone else was game 😂

Umm, actually, bro, so, I mean, real talk, this is, like, obviously, you know, literally a totally wholesome and awesomely positive and super exciting and lit idea, because, naw, it isn't at all problematic, but, yee, we need to unpack this. No, really, hear me out, okay, because methinks that if there is anything my truth and lived experience has legit taught me during the process of my journey as we move forward into living our best life, it is that oftentimes y'all--

Wait, what was I trying to say again? I'm hungry now.

Over 3000 Euro is too much money to spend just because of it. It would not be impossible to fund it but I am not sure if I would sacrifice my savings.

In general, fan-funded Shenmue is a neat idea but it would be a hard pill to swallow for uns because. Because it would be up to us then to raise the money.

The thing is if Shenmue 4 was on sale RIGHT NOW for $3,700 we would all buy it. So why not just use the money to raise the funds to develop the game?

Plus since we'd be funding the game we'd be entitled to a percentage of the sales revenue so we'd get some of our money back.

The thing is if Shenmue 4 was on sale RIGHT NOW for $3,700 we would all buy it. So why not just use the money to raise the funds to develop the game?

Plus since we'd be funding the game we'd be entitled to a percentage of the sales revenue so we'd get some of our money back.

It would get far too messy. People would expect things in return (like the "rules" you included in your original post) and it would no longer become Yu's game anymore.

That's too much effort. How about we all give Suzuki direct access to our bank accounts and just let him take whatever he needs at will?
That won't work, we need to keep Suzuki-San on a defined budget. Otherwise the scope of the game would balloon until all our money was gone.

It would get far too messy. People would expect things in return (like the "rules" you included in your original post) and it would no longer become Yu's game anymore.
Is this directed at me? I think it's entirely reasonable to shift the primary focus of the story back to Cool Z! :grin:

Look, we can all either spend the next 20 years commiserating about a game that may not happen, OR we can get off our collective middle aged asses and cough up the dough to get Shenmue 4!

It's been 4 full years since the last Shenmue game and nada.. zilch has been confirmed about a sequel. We're basically back to where we were in 2005(!)

If all 5,400 of us can simply cut down our daily spending by $10 for 1 year we can raise $20 Million.

Either we fund the game ourselves or spend potentially the rest of our lives chasing a pipe dream.

Think of the opportunity cost of spending another 20 years waiting for Shenmue 4.... that time is worth way more than $3.4k

Last edited:
Look, we can all either spend the next 20 years commiserating about a game that may not happen, OR we can get off our collective middle aged asses and cough up the dough to get Shenmue 4!

It's been 4 full years since the last Shenmue game and nada.. zilch has been confirmed about a sequel. We're basically back to where we were in 2005(!)

If all 5,400 of us can simply cut down our daily spending by $10 for 1 year we can raise $20 Million.

Either we fund the game ourselves or spend potentially the rest of our lives chasing a pipe dream.

Think of the opportunity cost of spending another 20 years waiting for Shenmue 4.... that time is worth way more than $3.4k
Bro it’s not gonna work, plus i think we’re probably definitely getting shenmue 4 anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back