We could have Shenmue 4 for just $3,703 apiece!

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Shenmue 3 failed critically and commercially and the Anime was canceled. How does that bode well for Shenmue 4?
First yes i know it was cancelled but shenmue anime was a success secondly according to deep sliver shenmue 3 performed fine

First yes i know it was cancelled but shenmue anime was a success secondly according to deep sliver shenmue 3 performed fine
I don’t think Shenmue 3 sold well Deep Silver was being political saying it’s sold “fine for a niche game” and I’ve seen it now for a measly $5 so there’s no demand for it. I happen to love Shenmue 3 and understand that it would have been a 9/10 game if Baisha hadn’t been cut forcing Suzuki to rush the ending. But it doesn’t change the fact that it didn’t sell well and even many fans didn’t care for it. I wish I had your optimism about a timely sequel.

DS said S3 performed "fine, financially". That probably means they broke even, perhaps even made a tiny profit thanks to the epic deal.

If you read between the lines however, "fine, financially" also means not overall fine and probably not fine sales-wise and maybe it also means they were not satisfied with its critical reception.

Whatever way you look at it, it means DS were ok with S3 finance- wise but otherwise no. Otherwise they would have said something like "overall fine" or "met our expectstions".

Look, we can all either spend the next 20 years commiserating about a game that may not happen, OR we can get off our collective middle aged asses and cough up the dough to get Shenmue 4!

It's been 4 full years since the last Shenmue game and nada.. zilch has been confirmed about a sequel. We're basically back to where we were in 2005(!)

If all 5,400 of us can simply cut down our daily spending by $10 for 1 year we can raise $20 Million.

Either we fund the game ourselves or spend potentially the rest of our lives chasing a pipe dream.

Think of the opportunity cost of spending another 20 years waiting for Shenmue 4.... that time is worth way more than $3.4k
Tellmemore.jpeg

This is some kind of joke, right? We can't be serious. :)

Even if the forum has 5000 members, half of them are not really active. Maybe, just maybe, it's possible most of us can find 1000 euros and even then they'll have a problem with their wives if they find out it's just for one game. :D

The Shenmue community is very international. We have people from all over the world. The amount of 3700 euros in some countries is two or three, even five monthly salaries. :LOL:

I am all in! Let me get my trousers.... Ah, yes....here they are...on that ONE chair....

Just kidding! Although it is a really neat idea to collectively make sure our beloved series continues, i also think it would not work for several reasons. I think the best thing going forward is to trust that it will all work out in our favor as long as we are engaged and let Yu Suzuki and the world know that we want another Shenmue.

But Shenmue 3 failed critically and commercially and the Anime was canceled. How does that bode well for Shenmue 4?

It didn't fail critically. 7.7 is not a bad score. That's pretty close to an 8.
Commercially it didn't fail either. Embracer Groups CEO said it did "fine" financially. There's no reason for them to be political about it.
Please don't spread misinformation.

The anime wasn't cancelled because Shenmue the Anime did poorly, in fact it was also very well received. It was cancelled because they were doing an internal reshuffle.

Commercially it didn't fail either. Embracer Groups CEO said it did "fine" financially. There's no reason for them to be political about it.

The anime wasn't cancelled because Shenmue the Anime did poorly, in fact it was also very well received. It was cancelled because they were doing an internal reshuffle.
Well then why hasn’t Shenmue 4 been announced yet? If Shenmue 3 was successful surely we’d have an announcement by now it’s been almost half a decade since Shenmue 3 and nothing!

@SMDzero embracer also said that it was it’s main primary revenue driver for that quarter and also maybe yu suzuki is keeping quiet just like he was before shenmue 3

Well then why hasn’t Shenmue 4 been announced yet? If Shenmue 3 was successful surely we’d have an announcement by now it’s been almost half a decade since Shenmue 3 and nothing!
There's making 'some' money and then there's the targets Deep Silver set out, which I would argue were way too high given the niche market.

Shenmue 3 made some sort of profit but likely not 'enough'.

I hope they finally announce Shenmue 4 just to shut up people like SMDzero. :p Hopefully the end of the misinformation about how Shenmue 3 was received and whether it was a sales failure is near. :LOL:

There are many games that have been successful and have no announced sequels. We've talked about it before. Where is the sequel to SOR4? Where is Bloodstained 2? Where is Nier Automata 2?

Last edited:
I hope they finally announce Shenmue 4 just to shut up people like SMDzero. :p Hopefully the end of the misinformation about how Shenmue 3 was received and whether it was a sales failure is near. :LOL:

There are many games that have been successful and have no announced sequels. We've talked about it before. Where is the sequel to SOR4? Where is Bloodstained 2? Where is Nier Automata 2?
I just hope they announce it in general

I have to laugh when I think about the fact GTA5 has sold 190 million copies, is the second best selling game of all time, and over 10 years later they're only just now getting ready to officially announce the sequel.

1699559409810.png

I never said it was successful. But it wasn't unsuccessful either.
We went eighteen years between S2 & S3. Four years isn't anything we can't handle. Yeah, it's annoying. But it's nothing to be worried about just yet.

^ This.

Continuing the GTA6 talk, Mass Effect is also hugely popular. But looks like BioWare is waiting for humanity to all die off before releasing their next game.

They also bungled the recent Mass Effect trilogy re-release in true modern fashion (ie release it half broken, and then patch a few non-exhaustive things here and there.), which aggravates me more than Mass Effect 5's 22nd century release date.

On a side note, I'm getting really tired of seeing some of my favorite games mistreated by modern teams who do subpar jobs at "remastering" them and then pat themselves on the back. The hacks at d3T still take the cake on that front: forget Shenmue, they managed to fuck up a Genesis port collection of all things, not to mention the more recent Mafia re-release which was so broken that the gaming press wrote articles about it. It's frustrating that they somehow landed the Shenmue gig to begin with. The next target seems to be the Silent Hill 2 remake, a title which arguably belongs in the pantheon of video games, but that Konami has pawned off to Bloober Team. Cool. 🤦‍♂️

Regarding Shenmue 4....as long as YS were developing it, I wouldn't be worried. Personal preferences aside, the end results would undoubtedly be solid, with the author's vision respected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back