We need to write to YsNet about a Patch !

Pawn shops are also on need of some attention. I’ve noticed that at times, it’s impossible to sell capsules from pages other than the first page. The problem seems to come and go.

I doubt we’ll see too many patches for this game as they are quite expensive to put out on PS4. As I haven’t encountered anything game breaking yet, I’d be happy for them to wait it out and release one big patch in a month or two once all of the issues have been identified and fixed.

Ryo was in Bailu, the town were the mirrors were made, Iwao trained and the Prophecy was written and met the two masters Iwao trained under, yet there was almost zero story happened. This is what I meant by patching it in. Add some useful dialog with Shenhua and the two grandmasters about the Prophecy and Iwao/Sunming, make the conversation with Mr Yuan on the boat contain some information on the letter and we're golden. This would mean patching in 15 minutes of dialog maybe and raise the quality of the storytelling by a mile.

There's no point in making up excuses for Bailu being void of story. Yes, we did get some information, technically like the man in the photo is Zhao and the mirrors were ordered by the emperor. :D But come on...

Unless you somehow have a copy of the entire story and all its chapters that was written and completed 20 years ago, and know exactly what is supposed to happen plot wise in each town that Ryo visits, I don't know what to tell you.

I'm with @Truck_1_0_1_ in thinking many complaints may be on us rather than the game, but my main concern would be patching the herb situation if it's indeed glitched (if not, I'll man up).
That said, I really wouldn't mind being able to skip dialogue: people stress that you can hit square, but that only works if you've already spoken to then, and it also resets the next day.

I'd buy Yu a Sapporo if he added a proper pause button, but it's low priority.

There's a weird glitch that I got once where I tried to make a call and I didn't have the option to dial the number. Then when I closed the notebook, a blue line appeared across the screen and I could toggle between the different numbers in the invisible notebook. I couldn't escape and had to reset the game.
I also ran into this one, and my last auto-save was around noon of the same day so I had to replay the entire day. I saved manually right before trying the phone again and the exact same bug happened.

I think it was triggered because I was holding down the first person trigger when walking up to the phone. When it worked, I just walked up to it normally.

I doubt we’ll see too many patches for this game as they are quite expensive to put out on PS4.
Sony hasn't charged developers for patches since around 2013.

Button mapping options would be nice invert thumb sticks and switch trigger button functions and yea the triangle help button is really misplaced

There needs to be an option in the menu to toggle the red circle highlight on and off

I'm gonna have to say no on that.

It has made the zooming parts and herb hunting, significantly more user-friendly.

EDIT* Not to mention, this goes back to personal preference, as opposed to an actual flaw that needs correcting via a patch.

Last edited:
1. No they don't and that's not clipping.
2. Yes we can. Cinemas apparently can be skipped once you play a second time (this was like 'mue I)
3. There are no camera issues; just don't press buttons stupidly. A re-center button would be the only camera-related thing needed, IMO.
4. While I'm fine with analog, this may be a wise choice.
5. There are 0 problems with looping music; music doesn't loop.
6. Few and far between; the majority of us have not experienced them.
7. No they aren't and there are what, 3 a day if that?
8. Too bad; work more or get better at them.

I don't mean to have this tough attitude, but come on man; these are all lazy gripes YOU have with things.

If a universal patch is needed, it would be for:

- Stable Framerate
- Stable music
- Transition fixes (though they don't bother me)
- Any minor bugs that exist
- As mentioned, possibly a re-center button.

You're asking to literally change around some game mechanics; that's not happening in a patch.
Wow, the fanboy is strong with this one. You are just flat out wrong on most points lol.

Wow, the shitposting is strong with this one.

These are objective, IE: not right or wrong but the truth.

Get a clue.,
lol.

1. There is a problem with NPCs disappearing. Whether this is a design choice or not to follow the old games, I do not know. But NPCs repeatedly do pop in and out.

2. You cannot skip dialogue unless it's on the same day and you have already heard it. That is an incredibly annoying design choice, if intentional.

3. Camera isn't great during fights so his point is not lacking merit.

4. You admit this is fair.

5. The music does loop...

6. Many users have reported problems with crashing.

7. I have no problems with loading but maybe it is too long on PS4, I do not know about this point though.

8. Fair point this one. The forklift barely yields any money compared to chopping wood, and chopping is inefficient compared to gambling...

lol.

1. There is a problem with NPCs disappearing. Whether this is a design choice or not to follow the old games, I do not know. But NPCs repeatedly do pop in and out.

2. You cannot skip dialogue unless it's on the same day and you have already heard it. That is an incredibly annoying design choice, if intentional.

3. Camera isn't great during fights so his point is not lacking merit.

4. You admit this is fair.

5. The music does loop...

6. Many users have reported problems with crashing.

7. I have no problems with loading but maybe it is too long on PS4, I do not know about this point though.

8. Fair point this one. The forklift barely yields any money compared to chopping wood, and chopping is inefficient compared to gambling...

1. No, they don't; PS4 can't handle the NPCs, but the PC version can. This is a hardware limitation, not, "an issue that can be fixed with a patch." PS4 compensates by having less and they don't pop in or out in my gameplays thus far.

2. Yes you can. I skip with Shenhua every day, skipped with fishing every day, skipped with Mr. Sun, etc.; I can't be the only person on the planet who can skip, can I? Also cannot be patched.

3. No camera problems at all, especially since you can hit R3 to re-centre; that fixes each and every problem and as well, this cannot be patched (how would one even be able to do it?).

5. No it doesn't; it stops then starts. Looping is if it is continuous, which is not what is happening in 3.

6. A few dozen out of 50,000+. As I said originally, the majority of us have not.

7. Not long at all; 3 seconds, twice an in-game day, is not long and is hardly worth complaining about.

8. This was laziness on his part; just fish and you'll make more money than you ever dreamed of.

1. No, they don't; PS4 can't handle the NPCs, but the PC version can. This is a hardware limitation, not, "an issue that can be fixed with a patch." PS4 compensates by having less and they don't pop in or out in my gameplays thus far.

2. Yes you can. I skip with Shenhua every day, skipped with fishing every day, skipped with Mr. Sun, etc.; I can't be the only person on the planet who can skip, can I? Also cannot be patched.

3. No camera problems at all, especially since you can hit R3 to re-centre; that fixes each and every problem and as well, this cannot be patched (how would one even be able to do it?).

5. No it doesn't; it stops then starts. Looping is if it is continuous, which is not what is happening in 3.

6. A few dozen out of 50,000+. As I said originally, the majority of us have not.

7. Not long at all; 3 seconds, twice an in-game day, is not long and is hardly worth complaining about.

8. This was laziness on his part; just fish and you'll make more money than you ever dreamed of.

1. You definitely do see them pop in. I play on pc with i5 8600k and vega 64 and I am watching them pop in easily. If you claim they never pop in then I would say you are lying.

2. You are mistaken. Simple as that. It is impossible to skip (played on PC with xbox one controller, X did nothing unless the dialogue had already taken place that day and others agree here).

3. I don't think you realise how patching can change game mechanics...

5. Wow, pretty sure that is exactly what the OP was talking about. Even if it was not expressed clearly, it is obvious.

6. More than a few dozen statistically, I would say more than 10%.

7. Meh.

8. It isn't laziness to play a video game and observe that it is not appropriately rewarding effort, lol. You must love grinding on free mobile games? Don'tbelazybro!

I'm gonna have to say no on that.

It has made the zooming parts and herb hunting, significantly more user-friendly.

EDIT* Not to mention, this goes back to personal preference, as opposed to an actual flaw that needs correcting via a patch.

Oh great gatekeeper, excuse my impertinence but he said an option. So if you like it, you wouldn't select to change it. Seems reasonable to me.

There no mention of the cliff temple in the cutscene with Ryo, Shenhua, and Elder Yeh. Shenhua mentions the mountains on the scroll and Elder Yeh says something like ‘that’s where the treasure is’. No one mentions a cliff temple. I had a look at the cutscene on YouTube to see if the cliff temple can even be seen on the scroll but I’m not sure if what I thought was the temple is the temple. It’s not clear.

When Yuan says to Ryo ‘but someone had their eye on them’ when talking about the mirrors, Ryo says ‘They were the Chi Yu Men’. How does he know that exactly? Ryo doesn’t know when the Chi Yu Men came into existence so unless he’s psychic he doesnt know. A more appropriate response would have been ‘who?’ ‘They were the Chi Yu Men’ should have been Yuan’s line. I’m sure this will not be changed.

In the same cutscene when Ryo and Yuan are in the cabin of the boat, Yuan says ‘The cliff temple that Zhao visited’. This sentence is a non sequitur as it doesn’t logically follow the last sentence before that when he says something like ‘Lan Di’s real name is Longsun Zhao’. There’s no context given, it seems like some of the dialogue was cut.

Also, when Yuan says ’The cliff temple that Zhao visited’, there’s an inexplicable change in contrast in colour that makes it look like a flashback. Wtf was that about?! It doesn’t symbolise anything and adds nothing to the scene. The contrast should not have changed.

Then Ryo says ‘that’s where we found the scroll’; a mistranslation.

Also, In the cutscene with Yuan and Ryo in the cabin, there are a couple of shots where kids are playing on the boat and Ryo emerges from the cabin and Shenhua arises and walks to him. It didn’t make any sense to place these shots in the cutscene. These shots kill suspense; Yuan is talking to Ryo about the Chi Yu Men and then we see kids playing on the boat? Terrible.

We see Ryo, Ren, and Shenhua walking on the Great Wall of China but there’s no build up to this. There’s no context given. The Great Wall of China is not on the treasure scroll nor is it ever mentioned. It’s yet another non sequitur.

Chawan sign music for the credits when the Shenmue theme should have been the way to go.

Fixing these issue alone would make the game infinitely better.

what i need is the following:
1. Pause the game even in fighting. i don't know how they launch the game without thinking of the pause.

2. making two mode for the game performance and quality. the framerate of the game jump like crazy between 40-50 in PS4 Pro which is bad experience in situation like this locking the game to 30 FPS is better.

3. draw distance so bad in the game. this is a top priority one needs to be fixed as soon as possible.

4. skipping always on. please some conversation just wasting the time and ruin my enjoyment . for example i want to ask for direction from a seller i will be entered the loop of seller talks which is killing and repetitive thing.
---------------

about music there is no problem and there is no glitch in fading. simply music fades when you enter an area with grass or a place for possible herb to collect.

Wow, the fanboy is strong with this one. You are just flat out wrong on most points lol.

Well he's right about the 'thats not Clipping' for #1.
Its not. Its just that they chose to have the NPC models load out when you get far enough away from them to relieve the stress on the game engine so other things can render and animate without too much load.
Though I dont really think it was all that needed unless all the real time stuff going on puts extra stress on the engine where they felt they had to do that.

The game lacks optimization.
According to DF the games FPS ranges from 40-50 on the PS4 Pro and dips as low as 30 FPS on the normal PS4.
It would be better to cap both versions to a constant 30 FPS or try to aim for 60 FPS but lose some graphical fidelity.
Either way it would be better than it is now with the constant up and down.

What I found to be extremly annoying (I'm playing on PS4 Pro btw) is the popping in of NPCs, objects and particle effects.
Not to mention the water reflections that dissapear on the edges of the screen when turning the camera.
It kills the immersion and in some cases makes the game harder than it should be (herbs stay invisible from a distance which makes finding them a chore).

I doubt there will be big changes even if decide to update it in the future.
My bet is they will focus their efforts on creating Shenmue 4 rather than patching this game.

The game lacks optimization.
According to DF the games FPS ranges from 40-50 on the PS4 Pro and dips as low as 30 FPS on the normal PS4.
It would be better to cap both versions to a constant 30 FPS or try to aim for 60 FPS but lose some graphical fidelity.
Either way it would be better than it is now with the constant up and down.

What I found to be extremly annoying (I'm playing on PS4 Pro btw) is the popping in of NPCs, objects and particle effects.
Not to mention the water reflections that dissapear on the edges of the screen when turning the camera.
It kills the immersion and in some cases makes the game harder than it should be (herbs stay invisible from a distance which makes finding them a chore).

I doubt there will be big changes even if decide to update it in the future.
My bet is they will focus their efforts on creating Shenmue 4 rather than patching this game.

Im on the Pro too and I dont notice framerate variances

I do notice the NPC pop in though which indeed is annoying.
Also I wouldnt rule out patches. Even Square-Enix's abysmal The Quiet Man got multiple patches after release, even a few months later as well.

This game (Shenmue 3) has already had two patches:

Version 1.01
-Battle balance has been adjusted
-Game usability has been adjusted
-Stability improvements implemented
-Other bug fixes

Version 1.02
-Battle balance has been adjusted
-Game usability has been adjusted
-Stability improvements implemented
-Settings for applying DLCs prepared
-Other bug fixes

They need to cap the framerate on PS4 and the Pro to 30 FPS and push for 1080p and 1440p respectively.

The resolution is too low on the back of prioritizing a wildly inconsistent framerate, I'd rather have stability and higher IQ than what we got.

They need to cap the framerate on PS4 and the Pro to 30 FPS and push for 1080p and 1440p respectively.

The resolution is too low on the back of prioritizing a wildly inconsistent framerate, I'd rather have stability and higher IQ than what we got.

I'd rather lower resolution and consistent 60fps actually.

the first two Shenmue games ran at 30fps which never felt right to me compared to Virtua Fighter 3 running at 60fps since it was using the VF3 engine.
Most fighting games run at 60fps. There's only one that I accepted it running on 30fps and that was Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle; which even then, made no sense to me why it ran at 30fps given it was a traditional fighting game format. Its usually arena fighters that have trouble maintaining 60fps so they opt for 30fps (though Dissidia Final Fantasy NT does run at 60fps and I think the Naruto UNS games? Cant remember)

So I wouldnt want a Shenmue game in this day and age still stuck to janky 30fps.

Back