Were QTE's always this hard?

Shenmue is probably the only game where I welcome the presence of QTE. However, on this remake I see to be failing all the time and only really pass when I get a chance to do it again and essentially go from memory. Anyone else?

I fail consistently too. I chalk it up to input lag with wireless controllers.

They definitely seem harder, especially in Shenmue 2.

I also can confirm that in some parts they've just become insanely hard for whatever reason. Especially during the last couple of planks in the Ghost Hall Building in S2, you can almost only succeed if you know the order of the QTE sequences by heart and press the respective direction on the d-pad within a split-second.

Didn't have any problems whith airing out the books however. Got that done pretty smoothly.

Definitely a port issue. I was initially thinking they the piss-poor QTE's we have had since Shenmue made us lose our skill but does not look like that's the case.

I also can confirm that in some parts they've just become insanely hard for whatever reason. Especially during the last couple of planks in the Ghost Hall Building in S2, you can almost only succeed if you know the order of the QTE sequences by heart and press the respective direction on the d-pad within a split-second.

Didn't have any problems whith airing out the books however. Got that done pretty smoothly.
I had to Sava/Load on those planks and learn the sequence, I don't remember them that hard on Dreamcast.

Also, I think that the new UI makes CQTE more difficult than in the original release

I noticed on the CQTE's that it looks like the directional buttons are flashing but then you fail if you put them in.
This stopped me beating Izumi for ages as everytime she did her special move it really looked like down and up flashed before the button input.

Did anyone else notice this? I eventually got better at the CQTE's when I just ignored the Dpad flashes

I’m playing on PS4 — Can anyone help me with the ‘following Yuan’ Command QTE at the electronics/refrigerator shop?

I’ve noticed that all the CQTEs have been somewhat fickle in terms of timing, but I’ve attempted this one probably a dozen times and nothing seems to work.

I’m playing on PS4 — Can anyone help me with the ‘following Yuan’ Command QTE at the electronics/refrigerator shop?

I’ve noticed that all the CQTEs have been somewhat fickle in terms of timing, but I’ve attempted this one probably a dozen times and nothing seems to work.
So I had to restart my PS4 today to install the recent firmware update, and now the CQTEs seem to be working just fine. Hopefully this will help someone else.

From memory the planks were a bit sketchy on the X-Box version (which this port is based on). But yeah the QTEs are messed up for sure in places - sometimes I am nailing them sometimes they are just plain wrong. But I haven't played the originals in years (as in on a DC)

For the planks, I just found some cheat website which had the commands laid out. Got so annoyed having to start again are falling down.

For me the QTE where always hard, especially in Shenmue 2. But I am new fan of Shenmue, never played Shenmue 1 and 2 on the DC before january 2018. That was the first time i have ever played both games on my good old Dreamcast.

I am playing an .40 LCD btw. So I am not sure if the additional imput lag of the LCD and the imput lag of my upscaler (Framemeister) has anything to do with the high difficulty. Maybe it was easier when playing it on old school CRT (a experience I never had) or not.

But I doubt it somehow, because in the PS4 Version the QTE were also quite hard. In fact there were harder with the PS4 Controller.

With the Dreamcast Controll it was a bit easier.

I chalk most of it up to display lag. All modern HD sets have a few frames of display lag, where old CRTs (which Shenmue was designed for) had no frames of display lag. I recently got a PVM and have been playing through Shenmue on it and I notice the QTEs are much easier than when I played on my LCDs, old games like this were designed with CRT timing in mind. Add in input lag from your controller with porting funk and QTEs become way too difficult.

Last edited:
I chalk most of it up to display lag. All modern HD sets have a few frames of display lag, where old CRTs (which Shenmue was designed for) had no frames of display lag. I recently got a PVM and have been playing through Shenmue on it and I notice the QTEs are much easier than when I played on my LCDs, old games like this were designed with CRT timing in mind. Add in input lag from your controller with porting funk and QTEs become way too difficult.

Also experienced a lot of difficulty with QTES more so with Shenmue II compared to the Dreamcast. I failed QTEs everytime in the ghost hall building. I am playing on a PC with a DS4 controller via cheap bluetooth usb dongle so maybe that is why..

I have always saved after each and every plank in the ghost hall building, I'm normally alright with pressing QTE'S correctly even in other games but the HD remake has been giving me problems, probably because of Reflex memory and playing with a different controller; and getting thrown off guard by seeing squares , circles, X, and Triangles instead of X,Y,B,A since I'm playing on a PS4.

Yes the Ghost Hall Building is one the hardest parts in Shenmue. Took me some time to master it. Luckily you can save after each plank. But it is a strange part. If you press the right button not fast enough you fall down. Maybe this is the proof that there is really a imput lag. But not sure.

Some time in the future I want to get a old CRT TV anyway to Play some Light Gun games. When I have one I want to test the QTE again. I am really curious if there really is a imput lag, or If I am just too bad for the QTE and it always takes me some time to master them.

Back