What controls will you use.

What controls will you use.

• Old

• New

• Both

Results are only viewable after voting.
I feel like people are over hyping the new controls... From what the devs have said and reading between the lines, it sounds like the only difference is movement is mapped to the analogue stick instead of the d-pad and the right analogue stick will be used to look around instead of the left analogue stick.

I really don't get the impression it will be that different from the original.

But maybe I'm wrong.

Both at first until I get used to one and prefer it to the other. It will feel strange using the analog as I stuck to the original trigger + dpad for Shenmue 2 since the fights and QTE mainly make good use of the dpad but I should get used to it. Camera control sounds interesting and could be very good if done properly. I have heard many people complain about Shenmue's controls ("not using analog in a 3d game waaahhh wahhhh") and some even saying they'll only consider playing this rerelease if the controls are updated so hoorah!

Can't really tell until I try :D
My idea is to go with the old controls unless the new ones really surprise me.

I'm almost definitely going to use the old controls. Especially if I can get the "slow jog" to work.

I'll certainly give the new controls a try, but I'll most likely stick to the original. I prefer the "tank" controls, as it feels more like I'm controlling a human being with actual weight, instead of a toy car with a thumbstick. I only hope they give us an original control scheme option in Shenmue III. It's a suggestion I've made to Suzuki-san.

Last edited:
I want to try the new controls on my first playthrough and I think the d-pad should be better for the fighting.

Until I try the new controls I can't really say, but I never had much of a problem with the old ones. If the new ones work better, I will use them. So for now I'll say both.

New for nuance. Old for old time's sake. Best of both ways.

Im gonna play as close as the original versions as possible. Old controls, 4:3, original rendering and no bloom.

I'm with @Reprise - I think the new controls will be a simple d-pad to analogue stick conversion, right analogue for looking around (no modern free camera). If that's the case I'll probably stick to the d-pad.

I love the Dreamcast controller but it will be nice to execute QTEs without worrying about the mushy d-pad.

I'll try both but I'm sure I'll end up settling on classic controls unless the new ones really impress me to the point of beating nostalgia.

New controls for the first playthrough, back to the old controls for the next playthrough, then I'll decide which I will go with from then on.

I'm intrigued by the new controls so will be going for those first.

Definitely the old style. I want this to be as authentic an experience as possible. Hopefully modders on the PC version will fix some stuff like the new UI font as well... I want this to be as close to the original experience as possible but with modern upgrades...

I'll try the new controls the first time I play it, but I'll most likely revert back to the original controls. I'll also try the widescreen mode then I'll probably switch back to the original 4:3 image size. Yep, I'm stuck in the past.

Back