What cool details have you noticed in the Backer Trial?

Spaghetti

Site Staff
Shenmue is FILLED with details, and the third is no different.

To kick the thread off:

- One of the NPCs will head into their house sometime around noon. If you knock on the door, they'll reply and shoo Ryo away. If you peer through the holes in the door, you can see the NPC *is* actually in there (so doesn't disappear or despawn), and seems to be playing out some animation (cooking perhaps).
- There are varying levels of rainfall, from a light drizzle, to a total downpour.

Still haven't seen total downpour (outside of the Dojo Stream.)

-- I kind of just love the birds in the sky as your wood chopping...it's just this nice little touch that you don't see in games.

-- I love the animation for pulling herbs out of the ground. The fact that your pulling something out of the solid ground and not just hitting A to loot directly to your inventory has a really cool tactile feel that I just like for whatever reason. Like I'm actually pulling the plant from the ground.

Still haven't seen total downpour (outside of the Dojo Stream.)
It looks basically like this:

shenmue3-win64-shippi2wj25.png

Stuff off in the distance gets an almost haze-like look too, like you'd get in real life heavy rain conditions. Very good at selling the dampness of the weather.

I’ve played demo 3-4 times and had grey skies with light drizzle but no heavy downpour yet. I can imagine how good it will look in new engine. Here is a coupe of cool details I noted;

- When making a sharp or abrupt turn Ryo’s hair naturally reacts and sways

- By one of the fishing spots to left of Joy Park, you can hear noise of frogs

- At the bottom of the stairs of the verdant bridge you will leave footprints in the soil

Stuff off in the distance gets an almost haze-like look too, like you'd get in real life heavy rain conditions. Very good at selling the dampness of the weather.
Wow! This is some of the best looking rain I've seen in a game. Please share a video if it happens again. :) Also perhaps try walking around in the rain without the jacket to see if his shirt gets soaked.

Wow! This is some of the best looking rain I've seen in a game. Please share a video if it happens again. :) Also perhaps try walking around in the rain without the jacket to see if his shirt gets soaked.
I had a video, but I goofed on some of my shadowplay settings. I'll be sure to grab a capture next time it happens though.

And yes, the shirt gets wet!

I had a video, but I goofed on some of my shadowplay settings. I'll be sure to grab a capture next time it happens though.

And yes, the shirt gets wet!

Neato! Thanks :)

Hmmm, depending on what kind of outfits there are the rain could make things pretty interesting. lol

Regarding the heavy downpour...has anyone looked at the little girls drawings in the ground during a downpour? Do they wash away? (did they go to that level of detail with it?)

I notice all the little dried up mud prints in the dirt trails which I think is a neat touch, but I was wondering about the little girls dirt drawings and whether they would go to the level of detail to wash them out during a downpour?

- One of the NPCs will head into their house sometime around noon. If you knock on the door, they'll reply and shoo Ryo away. If you peer through the holes in the door, you can see the NPC *is* actually in there (so doesn't disappear or despawn), and seems to be playing out some animation (cooking perhaps).
Haha Funny that expirienced the same thing! At one point after knocking on some doors with no response, I peeked through the window and saw a litle girl inside, then I thought, "mmm let me see if she actually answers the door... " And she did haha
I was impressed!

Regarding the heavy downpour...has anyone looked at the little girls drawings in the ground during a downpour? Do they wash away? (did they go to that level of detail with it?)
I notice all the little dried up mud prints in the dirt trails which I think is a neat touch, but I was wondering about the little girls dirt drawings and whether they would go to the level of detail to wash them out during a downpour?
I don't think I got the heavy downpour, but it did rain while I was tabbed out on the forum :p I managed to run down to check Rin's sand drawings and the whole areas sand was darker. I don't think it was the full on rain that Spags had though.
k4km1So.png

8FOPp4j.png

When it comes to new things that I've noticed. If you are in the Tao Get store at 7PM while looking in a draw/cupboard or something, you don't get the 7PM day/night cycle. Instead Ryo will close the draw and will look down at his watch:-
xgPSZD4.gif

(Sorry for the FPS counter in bottom left, been running some tests :p)

When it comes to new things that I've noticed. If you are in the Tao Get store at 7PM while looking in a draw/cupboard or something, you don't get the 7PM day/night cycle. Instead Ryo will close the draw and will look down at his watch:-
xgPSZD4.gif
Man those lights turning on in the store is just max comfy.

What I don't understand is why Yu has seemingly tried to downplay the NPCs having schedules, when in this demo they very clearly do have them. I also thought it was kind of cool how the dialogue some of them give changes depending on the time of day. The most obvious one of course being that lady that asks you if you plan on marrying Shenhua if you talk to her in the evening when she's sitting down on a bench.

Last edited:
Man those lights turning on in the store is just max comfy.

What I don't understand is why Yu has seemingly tried to downplay the NPCs having schedules, when in this demo they very clearly do have them. I also thought it was kind of cool how the dialogue some of them give changes depending on the time of day. The most obvious one of course being that lady that asks you if you plan on marrying Shenhua if you talk to her in the evening when she's sitting down on a bench.
I think he specified that the NPCs in Chobu don't have schedules but I'm not sure.

I don't think I got the heavy downpour, but it did rain while I was tabbed out on the forum :p I managed to run down to check Rin's sand drawings and the whole areas sand was darker. I don't think it was the full on rain that Spags had though.
k4km1So.png

8FOPp4j.png

xgPSZD4.gif

Wooow dude the watch detail! :O Never happened to me!! Cool stuff!

Last edited:
k4km1So.png

8FOPp4j.png

xgPSZD4.gif

I think I can see Ryo's reflection on the watch. Such detail!

xgPSZD4.gif

Yeah I saw this yesterday! Except I was in the old lady's house / cafe watching her cook sausages. Looks like it happens when you're in a building even if the building has a massive open wall or door. The watch animation was nice but I felt a little sad I didn't get the outdoor cutscene lol.

Yeah I saw this yesterday! Except I was in the old lady's house / cafe watching her cook sausages. Looks like it happens when you're in a building even if the building has a massive open wall or door. The watch animation was nice but I felt a little sad I didn't get the outdoor cutscene lol.
Ahh I thought that might be the case! Haha yeh, I was expecting the day/night scene to play once I left the shop too, but this is awesome as a replacement!

Couple of additional details I noted;

- If you zoom behind a Ryo and pan camera you can get very close and examine Ryo’s model. His skin texture contain individual pores.

- Skin displays correct translucency i.e. Ryo’s ears.

- If you play lucky hit across from the bookie first, later if you go to Joy Park Ryo will acknowledge this in his dialogue.

Back