What did they do to my beloved Shenmue!?

What did they do to my beloved Shenmue!? (That actually rhymes ^^! )

Can someone please tell me what had happened in the transition to the ports? The footsteps are very loud, like someone is hitting the taiko drums. :eek: Even when he turns it does not sound any better.

And there is no Japanese text supported by the game. There may be a work around, however long that may last, but it is not officially in the game. They support many other languages which is great, but not Japanese... for a game that takes place in Japan. :cautious:

Plus the blurring effect is a little too much. And the higher resolutions make the models less attractive to me. Maybe the two go hand in hand...

The whole reason I even bought the game on Steam was in the hope that the Japanese text and kanji especially, was clearer to be seen, than on the Dreamcast version. I cannot fault them for me assuming they would have Japanese, of all things, as a supported language. But I can still fault them for not including it. But it is not officially supported... I simply can not believe it. :crying:

Are there fixes to any of these issues? I would think the game itself would of been patched if there were. And those footsteps... very distracting... and you do a lot of walking in this game. I can not fathom playing the game and hearing that even over the music it seems. :mad:

What did they do to my beloved Shenmue!? (That actually rhymes ^^! )

Can someone please tell me what had happened in the transition to the ports? The footsteps are very loud, like someone is hitting the taiko drums. :eek: Even when he turns it does not sound any better.

And there is no Japanese text supported by the game. There may be a work around, however long that may last, but it is not officially in the game. They support many other languages which is great, but not Japanese... for a game that takes place in Japan. :cautious:

Plus the blurring effect is a little too much. And the higher resolutions make the models less attractive to me. Maybe the two go hand in hand...

The whole reason I even bought the game on Steam was in the hope that the Japanese text and kanji especially, was clearer to be seen, than on the Dreamcast version. I cannot fault them for me assuming they would have Japanese, of all things, as a supported language. But I can still fault them for not including it. But it is not officially supported... I simply can not believe it. :crying:

Are there fixes to any of these issues? I would think the game itself would of been patched if there were. And those footsteps... very distracting... and you do a lot of walking in this game. I can not fathom playing the game and hearing that even over the music it seems. :mad:
Depends on the format you're on. PC there's plenty of mods that improve the experience of the modern releases, though I think they're serviceable.

If you're on console then that's what you've got.

The sound effects are basically broken. As far as I'm aware, there aren't any mods to do anything about this. I don't mean to be dramatic, but they make it almost unplayable for me.

Japanese language support can be enabled for both Shenmue I & II. For the first game, it's just a quick edit of a value in the settings document. For Shenmue II, you have to edit the executable with a hex editor. There are guides for both somewhere in the mods section.

Not sure what blurring effect you mean. Bloom? If so, that can be toggled off in the in-game settings.

The sound effects are basically broken. As far as I'm aware, there aren't any mods to do anything about this. I don't mean to be dramatic, but they make it almost unplayable for me.

Japanese language support can be enabled for both Shenmue I & II. For the first game, it's just a quick edit of a value in the settings document. For Shenmue II, you have to edit the executable with a hex editor. There are guides for both somewhere in the mods section.

Not sure what blurring effect you mean. Bloom? If so, that can be toggled off in the in-game settings.
I did not get much further than the house, maybe the dojo. It just sounds horrible with each and every step you take and you walk everywhere! If there is no fix for it I will just have to refund and then hopefully someone can find a fix later and I may buy it again.

Even if it was my first time playing it, having no knowledge of the original, those footstep sounds are just terrible. I feared it was my speakers or sound card, but others have mentioned the same thing. Why would you do that as a game maker!? It is the loudest thing in the area and does not even sound like footsteps, but some guy kicking a drum around.

It might be the bloom, when Iwao receives the spin kick in the intro, everything just sort of stretches. It is more noticeable than the Dreamcast version either way.

It might be the bloom, when Iwao receives the spin kick in the intro, everything just sort of stretches. It is more noticeable than the Dreamcast version either way.
Oh, the motion blur on characters? That's probably not to do with the Bloom effect, then. (I hate Bloom, either way, though.) I guess I didn't notice any difference with that, compared to the Dreamcast version.

Is there a mod that fixes or replaces the footsteps? I am looking though the mod database and nothing is outright standing out. I see a project to fix the voices, but what about the foot steps?

Sucks that you have to mod a supported language back into the game. Japanese developers must really hate Japanese PC gamers cuz this seems to often be the case.

Back