What do you do for a living ?

moon child

Which way is it to Wan Chai?
Favourite title
Shenmue II
PSN
sapphosix
What’s your job? Going to school? What’s your major?

I’m a graphic designer. ?

I write code to make robots move.

Adding anything to that sentence would reveal it's not nearly as cool as that sounds, so I'll leave it at that.

Server/hourly manager at a nicely polished, mid-level restaurant.

Game design student. And I work at the Amazon warehouse near the airport. No it's not as bad as people make out.

I.T. contractor (do I.T. consultancy, training, support/breakfix, floorwalking, management, project engineer, server admin; got to be flexible in this industry), currently at a school, worked at various organisations. Been all over.

I switched careers this year. Was an engineer in corporate software.

I am now assistant tools developer at a visual effects company and my name is already in a released movie...which is weird and cool at the same time.

Last edited:
I presently teach senior citizens basic English conversation throughout Tokyo and Kanagawa prefecture on weekdays, teach private high school on Saturdays, and I write for an anime site, Honey’s Anime.

I'm an insurance broker in NY. I'm a fifth generation broker. my family has been at it since the late 1800's.

Mental health. Worked a few years in a locked ward, now project managing reducing coercion and mapping out patient experiences in emergency locked wards. It's incredibly rewarding work, not monetary but more "yay we're improving stuff".
Nice! I too work in mental health as a tech. Good for you on that!

I do account management for an insurance company. Pretty much always been in professional services since I left university 7 years ago. Money has been decent and my salary has more than doubled since my first job but a big issue is motivation and job stability. Was made redundant a few years ago and I'm on my third job in as many years. Redundancy came out of no where so was scrambling around for a new job and took the first offer I had. So stressful it was I left to join another company where I was let go after a year. Hopefully this one works out better.

I'm currently at uni studying political sciences. I work in something related to digital advertisement on the side, I don't even know what the actual title of my job is :unsure:

After a few years in the Army and a failed attempt at Japanese studies in college (not failing through grades, but through life-changes), I... load trucks in a warehouse.

It's not the dream job I had wanted, but sometimes you have to make sacrifices based on the turns your life takes.

On the plus side, I get to operate forklifts and forklift variations, so in some ways I'm living my own Shenmue, just like I always wanted. Life is funny! :ROFLMAO:

After a few years in the Army and a failed attempt at Japanese studies in college (not failing through grades, but through life-changes), I... load trucks in a warehouse.

It's not the dream job I had wanted, but sometimes you have to make sacrifices based on the turns your life takes.

On the plus side, I get to operate forklifts and forklift variations, so in some ways I'm living my own Shenmue, just like I always wanted. Life is funny! :ROFLMAO:
Finding your own happiness, or purpose, is the most important thing in life. I got the well paid job but what comes with that is stress (for me anyway), little job stability and being put in a position where it is difficult to change careers.

Finding your own happiness, or purpose, is the most important thing in life. I got the well paid job but what comes with that is stress (for me anyway), little job stability and being put in a position where it is difficult to change careers.

You're absolutely right! I'm not quite there yet with my purpose and happiness, but I think I'll get there someday.

I'm currently going back to school for a generalized IT degree, and I'm working in a call center doing guest WIFI support. It's not glamorous, but I'm learning a lot. It beats having a job with no chance of moving up.

I'm unemployed because I am disabled & have some physical health problems but I'd say I'm a non-profit-making artist/writer.

I make my own comic books, right now I'm working on one about a young man who was adopted by a restaurant owner/martial arts teacher who found him abandoned outside a church during a cold winter's night. The young man finds out he has psychic powers as he grows older so he uses his abilities to stop crime & fight evil.

Both characters share names from Shenmue in honour of the game. The restaurant owner/martial arts teacher was originally called Mr. Chen but I decided to change it to Mr. Shen (short for Shenmue) and the main protagonist character has the last name Hazuki in honour of Ryo (although the comic book character's adoptive father is Chinese & not Japanese, I'm going to add a story behind his last name).

The comic book is styled in an anime way.

Back