What Fixes Would You Make?

gladias9

The Anime Is Better...
Favourite title
Shenmue II
No, this isn't a "Let's rag on Shenmue 3" thread.
I am seeking different perspectives on what to do with a mod project I'm working on (mod thread is dead like Zed).

So, you have NO budget to add new features BUT you can tweak some things for free..
WHAT WOULD YOU FIX ABOUT THIS GAME?

Let's talk about exploration, mini-games, leveling-up, combat, writing of specific characters, camera, story moments, anything

Last edited:
Fixes I’d make are having the stamina be separate from your health bar and for health to regenerate back to normal after a battle like the old games

I’d have the moves Ryo has by default at the beginning already leveled up (since he’s had them for 2 games) though the other moves you’d still have to train and level up and finally, I would probably start him out with $3000 or more since that’s around how much Ryo would have at the end of Shenmue 2 (how much you gain from the story fights at least)

Fixes I’d make are having the stamina be separate from your health bar and for health to regenerate back to normal after a battle like the old games

I’d have the moves Ryo has by default at the beginning already leveled up (since he’s had them for 2 games) though the other moves you’d still have to train and level up and finally, I would probably start him out with $3000 or more since that’s around how much Ryo would have at the end of Shenmue 2 (how much you gain from the story fights at least)
I definitely intend to make changes to the stamina system in my mod. Too many people (myself included) just generally dislike it's intrusive implementation. If I don't outright remove the system, I may reduce it in a number of ways (if possible).

The moves definitely level up a lot faster (based on my changes at the moment), I wonder if I can improve specific ones. Gonna test it more.

Starting cash/items modification may be possible, I just haven't found the files for it yet. Will look into that.

Really appreciate your feedback!

Would it be possible to remove the token system for some mini-games and replace it with money? Though if Ryo starts off with a bunch of cash it may not matter.

Would it be possible to remove the token system for some mini-games and replace it with money? Though if Ryo starts off with a bunch of cash it may not matter.
I actually made changes to the amount of money earned through jobs and the probabilities of getting rare capsule toys, if that helps.
One of the main aspects of my project is to reduce the amount of grinding so that was the first thing I handled.

As far as switching the two currencies.. I'm not sure. Will definitely look it up in the files.

I don't know how it is coded or balanced but, theoretically,
I would have moves and Ryo stats level up a bit, after regular battles.
(albeit much more slowly than when purposely training these.)

It's a bit far-fetched for a "simple fix",
but I think the stamina meter could add like an in-game slider between two "stances"
With high stamina maybe more offensive-boosting
And the low stamina bolstering countering and defensive parameters.
(as an extension of the ability to do the countering dodge at low stamina.)

One thing I would love to know if possible and again this may fall under @LemonHaze expertise, is having the slow-motion dodge available even when you don’t have low health (I think it only kicks in with 3 orbs on health bar).

I prefer if food was used to increase level experience, rather than slow your movement down.

Also cheaper prices for everything..

Is it possible to improve the target switching in multi person fights? Currently it feels like cycling through a pre determined list more than snapping to the nearest opponent in a given direction.

I would replace some music files so that they be more coherent with the previous games. In particular:
  • Having the main menu music from Shenmue I&II playing in the main menu
  • Lucky Hit music from Shenmue II playing for Lucky Hit in Shenmue III
  • Replace the song at Bailu's Village Square (which is the iconic Hong Kong harbor arrival one from II, titled "Good Luck Song for Travelers) with the Shenmue III Lucky Hit one
  • Replace Fangmei's song at shops with any inoffensive random song
  • Replace the Boundless Lands (Shenmue II iconic intro) track at the ending, with any other epic track from the OSTs (there's plenty)
  • Play the Shenmue I forklift theme when playing the Forklift at Niaowu
  • Replace the song of the ending credits with the Shenmue theme.

Ah, and another easy suggestion would be to suppress/skip the comical scenes at the Niaowu Castle ending, with broom girl and fat friend beating Chi You Men in a slapstick style. Maybe the battle with Kickstarter backers in that section, too.

It's a bit sad to eliminate content, but the game would be better shorter than with that.

- The expensive story items price should be balanced based on the difficulty level.
- Fix the subtitles (in French "Hey Shenhua" was translated "Salut Shenhua", which is similar to Ryo saying "Hi Shenhua" all day long, it's very weird, and I suspect there are other example in other languages)
- No more 9pm curfew bring back 11pm and eventually make the last hour to midnight / bedtime last longer for the conversations with Shenhua

Another change that I reckon could be easy to implement is fixing the title screens.

Substitute this screen:
EJ8aKuqWkAAjW2C.jpg

With something much more minimal, and in line with the previous games, which were like this:

1.jpg

Something like this fan creation would be great:

gamewatch-image.jpg

If the PRESS ANY BUTTON must remain, please change the font to be other than plain Helvetica. The font from the subtitles and menus would be good IMO, but any serif and not "uber-known" font would do the job.

Then, if possible, this menu screen could be greatly improved by:

dTJuWiI.jpg

• Changing the Impact font to something more fitting and more unique.
  • Making the text in a dark color (not white), so it contrasts better with the bright background.
  • Eliminating the sword as a marker, which IMO looks a bit tacky, and even a bit provocative with the retconning it experiments in the games' story. The white line would be enough of a highlighter IMO.
In this latter screen the old games main-menu music would play (the first screen could have the same tune it has in Shenmue III, which I think fits there)

Is it possible to improve the target switching in multi person fights? Currently it feels like cycling through a pre determined list more than snapping to the nearest opponent in a given direction.
Unsure. The plan is to have an improved camera and faster targeting (maybe better auto-target?).
This way multiple-enemy fights are more manageable.
I prefer if food was used to increase level experience, rather than slow your movement down.

Also cheaper prices for everything..
I'm hoping that my job reward increases are enough to counter-act expensive story items.
I can't vouch for the food itself, but I have removed the stamina drain while running.
One thing I would love to know if possible and again this may fall under @LemonHaze expertise, is having the slow-motion dodge available even when you don’t have low health (I think it only kicks in with 3 orbs on health bar).
I think that this is something beyond my tools.
I would replace some music files so that they be more coherent with the previous games. In particular:
Definitely right there with you. I'm replacing music files as we speak.
I'm using (mostly) the unused tracks originally meant for the original games.
Another change that I reckon could be easy to implement is fixing the title screens.
I want to.
There's somone on nexusmods who did a mainmenu mod.
I sent them a message on how they did it and am waiting on a reply. If they reply, then I can do a menu mod.

Is it possible for you to extend the timing of the quick timer events? I think they are way too strict.

Is it possible for you to extend the timing of the quick timer events? I think they are way too strict.
No.
One of these two reasons is the right one: 1) My uasset tools just aren't 100% compatible with Shenmue 3 or 2) I'm simply going about things the wrong way.
When I see the files for QTEs and make changes inside the function scripts.. nothing happens.

Give Shenhua her original outfit. Cut every time she calls Ryo Leo. Use the tomato’ convenience theme when you fight Lan Di. Have a nude code for Niao Sun. Be able to travel back into the cave and can spray paint graffiti on the murals Jet Set Radio style. Have a mini game where you can milk the cows with Shenhua and if you squeeze the utters too hard the cow will kick Shenhua in the teeth. Put throws back in the game too.

Be able to travel back into the cave and can spray paint graffiti on the murals Jet Set Radio style.
This made me throw whatever I was drinking :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Give Ryo and Shenhua some rollerblades while you are at it, and let them grind their way on the electric lines and the billboards of Bailu Village LOL

I would change the stamina system either removing completely or just requiring a meal a day. That meal would be not by pressing pause and eating garlic but eating at a restaurant making the restaurants and eateries have a purpose.

I would amend token system, it's too confusing to know what to trade and how to get money easily. So make that more straight forward and show a value to the items

Less grind required for the sake of grind. You can do it if there is a reason to improve ryo but doing it just to buy the most expensive bottle of wine is ridiculous

Back