What games ever made you shed tears after finishing and/or thinking about it?

高野和泉

"SAKURA FESTIVAL!"
FFX
Shadow Hearts II
WALKING DEAD (Season 01)
Suikoden 2 & 5
Shenmue 1&2

are just a few that comes to mind for me. I'm really wondering if games that's made you cry a bit impacts your taste in genres. I've noticed that Rpg's done this alot for me and influenced my narrative bent I always tend to look for and perform some sort of analysis on it.

p.s. edit: Chrono Trigger, Kessen 3, and Muramasa rebirth as well, I've been yearning for new entry for a long time now as well tho they've ended on a graceful exit.

Last edited:
Not tears but I got your point

Firewatch
Bioshock Infinite
Valk Chron 4
Mass Effect 3
Journey
Yakuza 0
Yakuza 6
The wolf among us

I am just going to paste my post from "Favorite Video Game Endings" since the same logic applies here.

I). Shenmue I and II - I cannot for the life of me choose between these two endings. The first game's ending had me in tears; leaving behind so many characters I had grown to care about (especially Nozomi). Yet there was this sense of hope and excitement in the air. As if my journey had just begun.

Shenmue II left me with the same sadness that I felt in Shenmue I when I departed for Guiling. All the friends I had made, once again, I had to leave behind for the sake of my journey. That's why I enjoyed the trip through the mountains with Shenhua so much; it gave me time to reflect. Though all of this pails in comparison to the now-infamous moment that left Shenmue fans captivated for eighteen years. A moment that shall forever stand the test of time.

II). Lunar II: Eternal Blue - Seeing Lucia go from being cold and distant to warm and loving was heartwarming. The romance that blossomed between these two was well written. You top that off with some memorable music, and you have the perfect ending.

III). Sonic Adventure 2 - Before Shadow the Hedgehog wore out his welcome, his storyline ended perfectly in Adventure 2. His development from cold and vengeful, to romantic and self-sacrificing, was executed flawlessly. Back in 2001, this ending proved that Sonic could do drama well (If Sonic SAT AM did not prove that already). The last scene after Shadow's death is heavy with emotional tension.

IV). Metal Gear Solid I-IV - It is really hard for me to choose an ending from these games because they are all so good. The first game left me with a heartwarming feeling, or a bittersweet one, depending on whether you save Meryl or not. Sons of Liberty left me feeling utterly defeated like everything I did was for nothing. The third game left me sad for murdering The Boss. The fourth game, rounded up everything nicely; finally giving Solid Snake some much-needed closure.

V). Final Fantasy X - For me, this has to be the most bittersweet ending in Final Fantasy. You kill Sin, but at a great cost, the very Aeons who fought alongside you now had to die by your hand. The characters you had grown so attached to, were now fading away. While this was somewhat rectified in Final Fantasy X-2, it does not cheapen the somber tone this game ends on. You tie this in with the ironic song "Isn't it wonderful?" And it's an ending that left me in tears.

ive had the sense of excitement or exhilaration from a computer game but i dont think i have ever cried over one (i think movies do a better job of that).. but some games can defiantly can give you an empty, sad feeling where you complete them..
either due to the story, how they treated a character you like or the fact you dont want the game to stop.

some games i would list are -

mgs 1,2,3,4,peace walker
shenmue 1,2
last of us 1,2
witcher 3 & witcher 3 blood and wine dlc.

Never cried over a game, but choked up playing Brothers, Life is Strange (+Before the Storm), and The Walking Dead.

Bonus mention goes to the animated short Assassin's Creed: Embers.

Some things in the Shenmue games obviously stirred some emotions in me, and RDR had me shocked and in denial for a day.

Well, I can think of a ton of different games that made me sad at least. Some of them are a bit more extreme than others but many are at least somewhat melancholy in some ways or some very specific parts.

Link’s Awakening
Majora’s Mask
Wind Waker
Breath of the Wild
Okami
Mother 3
Portal 2
Moon RPG
Rule of Rose
Siren
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 3
Paradise Killer
Super Mario Galaxy
Saints Row 2
Grand Theft Auto IV
Red Dead Redemption
Red Dead Redemption 2
Nier
Nier Automata
Drakengard 3
Deadly Premonition
The Missing: JJ Macfield and the Island of Memories
The Silver Case
25th Ward
Killer7
Shadows of the Damned
Travis Strikes Again
Last of Us
Shadow of the Colossus
Lisa the painful
Metal Gear Solid 3
Death Stranding
even Maneater in sort of a silly way

But as far as those that have actually made me cry, at least at present while experiencing them, those are far fewer so far. And one I’m not exactly certain I remember, being Deadly Premonition 2, but boy was that one of the most satisfying for me at the very least.

The first I remember for sure is The Last Guardian. A testament to how far tech has come as well as the very skilled and thoughtful people behind designing and animating Trico to come to life, never mind a minimalist style and brilliant music.

Next was Yakuza 6. Even only really having fully experienced a couple of the mainline games by that point, I’d already grown attached to Kiryu, even if I kind of prefer Akiyama or Saejima. Seeing him that way...man.

Omori, I have not played first hand, and tbh I kinda spoiled a lot of it for myself because I couldn’t wait for Calliope to play more to find out. And it really sounded stupid and overly dramatic to me, but then seeing how it actually played out gave it quite a bit more merit. Guess it goes to show how a story is told is just as important as what its actual content is. Then again, it could also be feeling sympathetic for how hard it hit Calli. Even so, a lot of it ended up feeling pretty relatable to me as well. And it’s another with great music.

(don’t watch if you don’t want spoilers)

Lastly there’s Spiritfarer which I actually have yet to finish, so I’m not sure how I’ll feel on the ending but so far it has a lot of stuff that is just straight up painful. Again, the music really helps it out. A common thing for sad games I guess.

EDIT: yeah...there’s no way I didn’t tear up at this at least

Last edited:
Shadow of the Colossus -- Shadow of the Colossus got me in a big bad way. What a whirlwind of emotions that ending is. When that game ended, I sat in silence. I didn't know what to say. I had no words when that game ended. That ending is just a whirlwind of gut punch emotions. Also, the final song by Kow Otani is a melancholic masterpiece.

Metal Gear Solid 3 -- I got choked up come the end. Then Star Sailor's Way to Fall kicks in and yeah, my eyes got watery.

Persona 4 -- I didn't cry...but I definitely got really sad come the end. I REALLY didn't want to leave my friends. I cared so much about them come the end that I didn't want to leave. I wanted the option for the protagonist to stay in town and hang out with them some more instead of going home. I really did not want to leave that group of misfits. And it got to me a little. I didn't cry but I felt genuinely sad that I had to leave them as the game ended. I think that's why I've replayed it at least 5 times. All 100 hours of it. 5 times. So 500 hours of my life with those people.

Reactions: red
Final Fantasy X - That ending is just perfection.

And then FFX-2, FFX-2.5 Eien no Daisho, and FFX: WILL all came along and took a sledgehammer to it.

No game has ever full out made me cry, but the endings of Yakuza 6 and Persona 5 made me well up with a lump in my throat. The final level of NiGHTS into Dreams where you fly as your character instead of NiGHTS with the most wonderful music made my heart swell with joy too.

Actually, now I think about it, the final ending for NieR Automata made me feel the same way too. I don't want to give too much away, but it's the "shooting" bit if that rings a bell for other players.

Finally, Shenmue hasn't made me cry, but my heartstrings have been pulled on many an occasion. Nozomi's confession to Ryo gets me every time.

EDIT: I literally just finished Persona 5 Strikers and I was on the verge of happy/sad tears again. Dammit!!

Last edited:
Just start the credits theme of either 'mue or 'mue 2 (well, for 1, not the initial piano, but the start of the usual theme) and I will tear up, guaranteed. Don't even have to play the game, just hearing it (though I do need to be in a proper state of mind).

Lunar: Eternal Blue also did the same for me, as it did for Tsukuyo.
SoA, during the epilogue.
Yakuza 3, when
The camera pans over and shows Kiryu/Haruka, looking up
Yakuza 6
Yakuza 7, but more tears of joy, as Ichiban has gone through a shit-ton and I empathise with him.

That's all I got, for now!

Back