What happened to Ryo, for him to have a Band-Aid on the rest of his life?

Something terrible must of happened prior to the events of his father's death, because he did not need anything except rest for a few days even after taking a beating from Lan Di. But he had that Band-Aid on before the events and ever since. Has it ever been explained?

Something terrible must of happened prior to the events of his father's death, because he did not need anything except rest for a few days even after taking a beating from Lan Di. But he had that Band-Aid on before the events and ever since. Has it ever been explained?
Yu Suzuki revealed how Ryo got his bandage on a Twitter event called "#YouAskYu". "It didn't appear in Shenmue Chp.1, but there was a martial arts event. The scar is from the final match."

He just proper loves Do They Know It's Christmas.

It’s for when he eventually sees that the destructive path he’s headed down will make him into Lan Di. The scar is in the same location as Lan Di’s.

But you don't wear Band-Aids on a scar. You wear them to cover up a healing wound.
But for some reason even after the martial arts event Ryo decided to continue wearing the Band-Aid, maybe he continued just because he thought it looks nice on him, like a style for him, maybe he prefer to not show his scar for the other characters, and in my opinion its a character design, character design don't need to always have a big, awesome and meaningful reason to why it is like that.

Maybe Yu Suzuki just thought "Wow... he looks better and cool with the Band-Aid" and then decided that Ryo will always have the Band-Aid, but i don't know... maybe there is a big and awesome reason why Ryo keep the Band-Aid, but how he got the scar Yu Suzuki said there was a martial arts event. The scar is from the final match.

Will be nice if what Rydeen said happen, like Rydeen said the scar is in the same location as Lan Di’s scar, i really think this is a nice detail.

Last edited:
But you don't wear Band-Aids on a scar. You wear them to cover up a healing wound.
It would have been interesting for Ryo to start wearing a bandaid after his encounter with Lan Di in the opening cinematics. Never taking it off afterwards (during the course of the subsequent games) could/ would've been more poetic.

It would have been interesting for Ryo to start wearing a bandaid after his encounter with Lan Di in the opening cinematics. Never taking it off afterwards (during the course of the subsequent games) could/ would've been more poetic.
They retconned to that in the anime.

Lan Di and Ryo were separated, and are secretly brothers, but both were hit by the same lightning bolt. This will be a really cheesy twist explaining why they have similar scars lol.

Lan Di discovering he killed his real father would be a hilarious cliffhanger in Shenmue 4.

There’s no special meaning to it aside from visual appeal. The anime did a good job giving it some sort of meaning.

I’ve always interpreted the scar to be more visual storytelling than anything that will be plot realated. Ryo and Lan Di both spent their lives in search of revenge after their fathers were murdered. They both have a matching scar. And while Lan Di’s scar is uncovered and permanent, Ryo’s is bandaged which implies healing. Maybe I’m looking too much into it, but that was always my interpretation.

I’ve always interpreted the scar to be more visual storytelling than anything that will be plot realated. Ryo and Lan Di both spent their lives in search of revenge after their fathers were murdered. They both have a matching scar. And while Lan Di’s scar is uncovered and permanent, Ryo’s is bandaged which implies healing. Maybe I’m looking too much into it, but that was always my interpretation.
I don't think this is reading into it too much, for what it's worth. The visual symmetry and thematic implications are too great to be a simple coincidence, whether that was on behalf of the character designer or something Yu wrote into his original concept.

"[You should] make the flames match the amount of wood in the bonfire..." - Yu Suzuki to his devteam in Shenmue's development. With such guidelines we must assume nothing was made "just because".

I always felt Ryo like a more calm version of Tao Lung from Way of The Dragon. A martial arts pumpkin, physical,
not dumb nor a good student neither, pure at heart so VERY naive (God, the travel agency part...)
So Ryo spend time helping cats, children and semiblind grandmas, but if you happen to be a bancho, sailor, biker and mess with him... you find him.
Yes, S1 Ryo will always say he "don't have time for it" and will try to avoid conflict but, when this has ever stopped a bully instead of encouraging him? He will continue to pick on Ryo and then Ryo picks on him. There's a moment he goes "Ok I gave you a chance. You dont leave me alone, you are going to pay. No mercy".

The band aid tell us visually from the very beggining "This guy doesn't joke". And he doesn't joke... ever (well, does calling FangMei "neko" count as Ryo's joke? I think he probably is naively telling his truth but.. that face and Aaahhh before throwing that at her XD)

Reactions: OKD
Back