What have you never achieved in either game, but really want to?

ShenGCH

Who the fuck is Coco, bitch?!
Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Beating Chai in You Arcade. Nearly twenty years, and about forty playthroughs, later and I still can't pull it off. That bald fuck.

What are yours?

Until recently, it was winning a Boom box, but I achieved that quite recently.

true story, I never before won the boom box until this year.

Until recently, it was winning a Boom box, but I achieved that quite recently.

true story, I never before won the boom box until this year.
Nicely done! I won the boombox from the Dobuita Tomato Mart during one of my early playthroughs without even trying. It was on a snowy day; maybe that affects the chances?

I'd have like to have levelled up this move enough to do this:

lpshen_22_04armbroke.gif

That's so cool !

Collecting all of the capsule toys. Win all the arcade machine prizes. Winning all of the Arm Wrestling matches. Get the move scroll at the Lucky Hit stand on Dragon St.

I made a vow to finally beat Chai at the arcade when the HD versions were released a year ago since I could semi-save scum. I gave up after about 10 tries. I still have a save from right before the fight. Maybe this time?

Winning a bloody duck race with my own duck.

If it helps motivate: I recently took the plunge on a S2x run, and it took perhaps thirty minutes to level him up (the bigger irritation was cash, so one hopes you're not above spamming).
Curiously, in my current PS4 run, it was much more difficult; they also threw in a couple of races with a mother duck and her ducklings-- something I've seen never before-- which made it much more painful. Alas, I got that medal within 90 mins.

Getting both of those two insanely rare Capsule toys, to get that special cutscene in Shenmue 1.

Aside from obviously not getting 100% completion in Shenmue 1, I have yet to pull of a actual 100% completion in 2 as well, but atleast in 2, It's usually because I forgot about a random limited time item(last time, it was a move scroll sigh).

Is there even enough in-game time to master all of the moves AND beat the game?

I usually master all moved by middle or end of disc 2, including scrolls.

Also never earned the arcade or slot certificates, but don't really care about them. The miniture cabinets are good enough for me. Having at least those, all VF but Gold and kids dural clear and not forgetting the random "Made in Japan" knick-knacks are aplenty for pawning duplicates and small sets in Hong Kong.

Never had all the moves mastered or collected all the capsule toys legit. Only had everything complete through cheating.
For these I'm not sure I ever want to do them for real. Those are generally highly unattainable and hardly something I'd call "individual challenges", wich I strive for a lot more.

When it comes to those, I already have a ton done. All the prizes, fights, duck racing including the penguin, Lucky Hit 500:1 & Perfect Double Up & Move Scrolls, Wai Sik & Yidian Wai Sik Big or Small, Slot House certificates, you name it...
Only stuff that is left that I kind wanna do are arcade certificates and beating Barry Jones in a 300 bucks match.
I got the Hang On 1CC in both the original and rerelease but none of the others. After Burner is never going to happen and Space Harrier is also still a few levels out of reach. Outrun might be something I maybe should start to get serious on.

Barry Jones is definately the number 1 thing for me to get done and I should seriously go and practice high stakes darts again.

After Burner is never going to happen and Space Harrier is also still a few levels out of reach. Outrun might be something I maybe should start to get serious on.

Barry Jones is definately the number 1 thing for me to get done and I should seriously go and practice high stakes darts again.

I'm with you on After Burner; may the best player win with that filth.
I remain convinced S1 on DC is the best way to win with Space Harrier, as the dpad lets you stick in place; I've actually beaten the game that way. Ironically, I recently played it on PS4-- I still loathe the controls-- and got to level 13. If only I recalled I already got the bloody toy through the vacant lot.

As to Barry: on an S2x run years ago-- I wish I were more into the capture culture then and being a dojo member-- I was within thirty points, failing due to final round shakes. Barry is the real Tentei, as we'll likely beat the latter.

For Chai at the you Arcade , buy Crawl Cyclone from Bunkado Antiques and level it up. During the fight, make sure your spacing is on point. Dont get too close to Chai, but also not too far. Spam Crawl Cyclone. When he slips through Ryos legs, immediately Hammer the A button. By kicking backwards, you can avoid a devastating combo from Chai. When he tries to go into his flying kick combo, punish him with a simple high kick, just pressing A, or even better, an Elbow Assault to send him flying across the room. Close in quickly and get in one or two cheap shots to Chais head with the Crawl Cyclone while he is down on the ground.

For Izumi: again, three things make the difference in this fight. Spacing, spacing and spacing. Keep your distance, use Ryos height advantage. When she comes in with her Sarah Bryant flying knee attack, evade to the side, or even better, behind her if you can. Then make sure to punish her. If you keep your distance from her, you will be able to mostly avoid her Sakura Festival attack command QTE and get your attacks in from time to time to eventually finish her off.

Izumi is easy. Ironically never had a problem with her, except for getting the QTE right on the first try.

I was surprised that I managed to beat Chai just now at the Arcade, I barely did any training and mostly used Crawl Cyclone & Block:

As for unique tasks for the playthrough, I managed to finally figure out that Nozomi Lives - Above the Flowershop at the apartment! Had a funny result after too!

As for Shenmue II, I want to explore it alot more than I have before! 've never seen the Fang Mei Birthday scene so I intend to wait it out and get that!

Last edited:
I made a vow to finally beat Chai at the arcade when the HD versions were released a year ago since I could semi-save scum. I gave up after about 10 tries. I still have a save from right before the fight. Maybe this time?
Holy shit, man. You've got to get on that.
With enough practice anyone can do it. Just learn to quickly input the throw "Demon Drop" (back,back+Throw), stay calm, use Parry, and then after a parry let it rip. If you're a badass you can Demon Drop him right when he stands up.

I don't recommend setting the R2 button to do Demon Drop because I think performing it with the R2 button after a parry somehow screws with the input, which will cause some other throw to come out and then Chai will escape the throw. It's hard to explain, but in my experience learning to manually input "Back,Back+Throw" after a parry is much, much more reliable than using the R2 button to do Demon Drop.

Last edited:
Back