What if Shenmue Online featuring Guilin, Suzhou & Xian was released?

Sometimes I really hope they could release Shenmue Online back in the day, at least release an early beta version of it. In 2011, the Taiwanese Shenmue Online producer Cai Junsong said the game was already finished and waiting for official release, but Yu wanted to polish the game further before the release and Sega didn't want to put in more budget so the game was eventually shelved.

Many fans may consider it an insult to the series, but at least we would be able to visit a more primitive Bailu Village like Langhuishan we had seen in S2, Suzhou (originally to be featured in chapter 3 which was cut, but during an interview in 2016 Yu considered to implement it for S4) and Xian (I think we will visit this place in S4).

Areas featured in Shenmue Online:
Map.png

Guilin/Bailu Village in Shenmue Online:
Guilin.jpg
Guilin2.jpg
Guilin3.jpg
Guilin4.jpg
Guilin5.jpg

Suzhou in Shenmue Online:
Suzhou.png
Suzhou2.png
Suzhou3.png

Possibly Xian in Shenmue Online:
Xian.jpg
jietu_007.jpg
possiblyXian.png
possiblyXian2.png

Last edited:
I remember the really cool CGI trailer that was released for it and the one that included some gameplay. It actually looked quite good if I recall. Although, correct me if I'm well off on this, did the gameplay trailer not show some magic elements in it?

I was looking for that image with those other locations on it a while back. Thanks for posting. I always wondered if those are clues as to where the story is headed next.

I remember the really cool CGI trailer that was released for it and the one that included some gameplay. It actually looked quite good if I recall. Although, correct me if I'm well off on this, did the gameplay trailer not show some magic elements in it?

It did indeed show that.

I think that is where the series at least was supposed to head to. Something IS up with Shenhua.

It did indeed show that.

I think that is where the series at least was supposed to head to. Something IS up with Shenhua.

Not to that level. I’m pretty sure those elements were exaggerated to make a more engaging MMO.

Not to that level. I’m pretty sure those elements were exaggerated to make a more engaging MMO.

Yeah, I should have specified what I meant better. Yeah, not to that level, just that it's going to the supernatural a bit.

There are already plenty of signs... I mean, Shenhua can talk to animals, the retconned(?) floating sword, and whatever Shenhua did to the thug that scared the living shit out of him.

I'm not a fan of MMOs but I'd love one day for a nice thick behind-the-scenes book all about the Shenmue games to be released that details what this cancelled project could have been.

Its interesting Yu had Suzhou and Xian planned as far back as this. I wonder if he would still be interested in adapting Suzhou given that Niaowu was kind of similar in design (albeit a bit more like Fenghuang). I wonder if Shenmue IV will have Ryo heading to Baisha and Xian next.

Weren't they all Dragonball Z characters and using fireballs in the opening CG?

This lead to some of the fanbase saying that's where the series was heading.

Back