What is the best way to play Shenmue 3?

SliverOfSand

I see...
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles
Since Shenmue 3 is releasing in a few short months, I need to figure out a way to play it. I’m in the unfortunate position of owning an Xbox One, and a very crappy laptop. It may be able to run Shenmue 3, but I’m worried about it being extremely laggy. I don’t have the money right now to buy a PS4, and with a PS5 on the horizon, I’m not sure if I should save up and wait to play it on the PS5 instead (if it ends up being backwards compatible)? I really don’t want to wait a whole other year to play it, but it might be the better option in the long run.

You could see about buying a cheap(ish) pre-owned PS4 on eBay or something and then sell it on after you've played through III. Of course, if you can wait for the PS5 (which is probably still a while off), that's an option too seeing as I believe BC was confirmed.

I'd probably advise against playing it on your laptop if the performance is poor. However, you can always buy it on Steam to see how it runs. If it's fine then great, but if not you can always use Steam's refund process to get your money back.

I'd buy a second hand PS4. They can't be too expensive now the generation is coming to an end. They will be even cheaper once the PS5 is formally announced and again once it is out (that's if you can wait though and if you can wait, maybe it's worth just saving up for a PS5, which will be backwards compatible and will improve PS4 games).

You can sometimes get good deals on Facebook marketplace and browsing local listings online, although obviously there's a risk to consider compared with buying from a store.

I'm getting it day 1, Sure backwards compatibility may improve load times but playing the game on the PS4 is the intended experience - Not sure if the PS5 will need devs to add a patch to make improvements or not yet. I don't see the PS4 Pro struggling to play Shenmue III anyway.

Well for now it's not much more than guesses as to what platform will offer the best experience in the end.

I still like to think that Shenmue III is a console game but from a technical standpoint the PC version has many benefits. It can potentially have higher resolution, higher framerate and more details out of the box and if not it can easily be tinkered with.
If patches are necessary they may also hit the PC first. At least Shenmue I & II is a good example to go by.

On the other hand history has shown many cases where the PC version performs poorly or hits the market a while later because of extra delays over the console versions. Shenmue III seems to have the PC as its main developement platform, at least as far as the ABXY buttons seen in the interfaces so far are something to go by. So I don't expect any major issues.

If it's just about bang for your buck, a used PS4 is certainly the best option.

Gentlemen, the best way is with the hardware you own or is accessible to you. i.e: if you are used to PC gaming, buy it on PC, if you have no platform and want the cheapest alternative go for PS4, etc.

Shenmue II was arguably better on a Dreamcast but I reckon not many people actually went and bought an euro S2 and converted their save file. Shenmue 2 had definitely a lot of ups and downs between versions but that didn't stop people from playing it, Shenmue 3 will probably only have res/fps differences which makes this quite easy.

EDIT: never mind PCing the game, buy a PS4 lmao. Don't support PRC-backed Epic Store (gamers rise up yada yada)

Last edited:
I depends on. If you want to get the Sony console just for Shenmue, then get a used PS4. Is cheaper to get the more expensive Ps5 especially if you are not certain if you really want the ps5. At this point nobody knows if the Ps5 will have good games or not.

So a used PS4 is the best bet Money wise for you.

PC will always be the best option if you can afford a capable enough one.
Ps5 might have some kind of boost mode to make Ps4 games run noticeably better with maybe improved frame rate and resolution.
If you want to play the game from day one while spending the least amount of money possible, buy a dirty cheap used Ps4.

Back