What kind of DLC should Shenmue 3 have?

What kind of DLC should be in Shenmue 3?

• Cosmetic (alternate outfit for Ryo or Shenhua)

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Side mission/ quest (perhaps being able to play through chapter 2 on the boat to Hong Kong)

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • Scrolls to learn new martial arts techniques

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All of the above!

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • None!

Votes: 25 34.2%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 5 6.8%

• Total voters
I'm getting so sick of micro-transactions in video games I just want to be able to pay for it and say I own it! not pay for it then say that I only own a small fraction of it

I will break down into more detail into each option

Cosmetics, I'm actually on the fence on this one, if done right it could be cool. Having Ryo run around in a suit or Ren's Jacket, but still not really my thing, but I am the most open to this option, as it's mostly harmless.

Side Mission/Quests, I'm not really fond of this one, lets hope they don't see an opportunity for this to turn into Asura's Wrath where large important parts of the story are behind an additional a paywall, there is a proper place for that and it's called Shenmue 4. Now some things stuff like "(perhaps being able to play through Chapter 2 on the boat to Hong Kong)" would be kinda neat, if done properly and I might find myself paying for it. However full blown story chapters or side quests that contain huge chunks of the story for Shenmue III could end up being awful for the game and especially for new comers to the series, what made shenmue I and II so good was the fact that we are still having conversations years later about random events that didn't trigger for everyone their first play-through and imagine if something as little as Fangmei's Birthday was DLC with slightly more stuff attached to it. It wouldn't feel organic at all and we would be judging each wave of DLC differently, however if Shenmue III comes out as completed game and part of the story, Still years later we will all be able to talk about it, but not the same way as 1 & 2 if certain things are locked behind DLC.

Just look up Asura's Wrath. Now I'm not saying that story DLC is bad as a whole, Tell Tale for years released episodic releases and it worked really good for them, but I don't think Shenmue 3 would really benefit from that if attached to the main story contained in Shenmue III.

Scrolls to Learn new Martial arts I'm just going to be blunt with how I feel about this one with "Hell No!" Why? Let me explain, it could easily turn into a pay for an easy mode feature where you can just shill out money to instawin where the dreaded PAY TO WIN term comes into full effect, I know it's a single player game, and that buying moves isn't going to give you an edge over another player but I want to experience finding moves in the world of Shenmue the way it was in the first 2 games, seeking out masters to teach and train me and walking into random shops and spending the hard earned in game money to master them, it's more satisfying then just shilling out money and getting it instantly, I didn't like seeing Exclusive moves in the Kickstarter and I don't want to see them later as DLC

Now I do understand that DLC supports the game and would help ensure a Shenmue 4, but I also don't want to support unnecessary Micro-Transactions, I kickstarted it at a 185, bucks I went 10 bucks beyond the reward level, and I don't plan on opening my Kickstarter Copy so that means I'm going to have buy it again when it comes out. So I really don't want to see an overbearing amount of DLC content in the game, cosmetics sure but don't go crazy with them, "Flavor Quests or chapters that could stand on there own outside of the Main game of Shenmue III like a Side chapter select from the Menu, "Like Episode 1 get Ryo off the Boat" because if the Side Quests DLC'S are defined as "completely complementary" I would welcome them, but stuff accessed during the Shenmue III main story, sorry but not a fan of that idea.

Sorry for the long post, but I am personally very weary about embracing DLC I hate where the market place for gaming as a whole is going with overbearing Micro-Transactions.

but that's how I feel about DLC

I'm getting so sick of micro-transactions in video games I just want to be able to pay for it and say I own it! not pay for it then say that I only own a small fraction of it

I will break down into more detail into each option

Cosmetics, I'm actually on the fence on this one, if done right it could be cool. Having Ryo run around in a suit or Ren's Jacket, but still not really my thing, but I am the most open to this option, as it's mostly harmless.

Scrolls to Learn new Martial arts I'm just going to be blunt with how I feel about this one with "Hell No!" Why? Let me explain, it could easily turn into a pay for an easy mode feature where you can just shill out money to instawin where the dreaded PAY TO WIN term comes into full effect, I know it's a single player game, and that buying moves isn't going to give you an edge over another player but I want to experience finding moves in the world of Shenmue the way it was in the first 2 games, seeking out masters to teach and train me and walking into random shops and spending the hard earned in game money to master them, it's more satisfying then just shilling out money and getting it instantly, I didn't like seeing Exclusive moves in the Kickstarter and I don't want to see them later as DLC

I agree with your points there though the exclusive moves in the KS were fine by me.

As a story expansion either the boat chapter would be awesome or the story of how (and If Guizhang) every catches up with Ryo would be immense. Remember he has limited knowledge of the mirrors so would likely be playing catch-up after the events in Kowloon. I'd like to know more about him as a character and how Ryo's actions may impact him in his quest to join him. What are the links between the Chen Family, Hong Kong and Yuanda Zhu. Just one of many quesitons I'd like answered.

Story DLC is usually the best DLC, as long as it's supplementary and not vital to the core game; a story that fleshes out the world and individual characters, without being required to enjoy or understand the main plot.

Chapter 2 is a great example, but I feel it'd be unlikely at this point because we'd be going back to before Shenmue II...within Shenmue III...which seems a bit weird. It'd probably be something closer to the events of III I would guess but anything's possible.

Cosmetics: meh, playing dress-up in a game like this doesn't appeal to me.

Move scrolls: seems like a bad idea.

Story DLC: Flashback of the boat chapter and Ren's journey to reunite with Ryo
Cosmetic: Alternate costumes, such as Ryo's Project Berkeley outfit, Hazuki gi, Suka High uniform, etc.
Move scrolls: Nope

Other. The things you listed are things we shouldn't have to pay extra for. But I'd love more story/chapters to continue as DLC since I don't have much confidence in actual sequels...

I think that, if additional content there is, I would like it to be an "extension" instead of "DLCs".
(Think the "conquerors" or "rise of Rome" add-ons for Age of empires.)
That is : I would like it to be cristal clear between
"The game, fresh from box" and "The game, with more content"
(Ideally, have the option of playing either "extended" or "basic" game.)

I'm fine with more Shenmue content,
but, it is far better if the add-on are not a bunch of little patches to get specific content.
(I agree it may feels like pay to win, in some cases.)

I short, I'm ok with more content for SH3 (scenarios, new features...)
But, it should be more of a Shenmue "3 dot 5" than a lot of purchasable patches.
And, in the end, I think that SH3 is not required to do DLCs.

I'm really hoping there won't be DLC. Like many here I put a lot into the KickStarter campaign and I think the biggest issue I have in general is that I don't want the Edition I get to be outdated - If Substantial DLC is released I will want a Complete Edition which would leave to disappointment in it's non-arrival & the fact that my KickStarter Edition will be missing content.

I too am fed up with DLC this generation, I often feel hesitant to buy a game on Day One now as I feel I have to do a lot of research and guessing to see if there will be a Complete Edition within a years time. Fighting games have become the worst for this, in releasing a bare bones experience and then adding multiple Season Passes for content that should have been in the base game.

Another example being Final Fantasy XV, which they purposefully held back story content within the progression of the games story for DLC Chapters - the moment Gladious decides to randomly disappear was just so jarring and infuriating when I found out later why.

I really don't want to think of Shenmue III in this way, when the momentous day comes along next August, I want to feel I am diving into the fullest experience this game is going to offer.

I don't think DLC is inherently a bad thing. It just needs to be done right with a proper (non-essential) side story that acts as its own thing.

At the end of the day, it's more funds generated which can only be a good thing in the grand scheme of things.

Side mission.

DLC are the worst aspect of Modern Day Gaming for me. So no DLC for me. I do not like that stuff at all. I want a complete game without any DLC you have to pay later to get the most out of the Game.

I don’t want it to be abused like Battlefront or how EA does it. I don’t mind DLC, I just don’t want it in the same manner as Final Fantasy XV

Still don't get the problem with DLC. It will allow for the dev team to provide the full vision Yu had for the game with its profits, I see this as a complete positive.

Still don't get the problem with DLC. It will allow for the dev team to provide the full vision Yu had for the game with its profits, I see this as a complete positive.

In theory dlc might ne nice but DLC can also be used as a excuse to release a unfinished game. You can earn a lot of Money with the core game, and then earn some more Money with the DLC. I cannot remember a single game that got better thanks to a DLC. But maybe there are some complete Games out there that got some good DLC to make it better. Just because I do not know any that does not mean that there aren't any games out like that.

I still hope that Yu stays old School when S3 gets released without any DLC

Back