What mods should I install before playing Shenmue I & II for the first time?

King Mustard

Member since 2002
I am displaying the game on a 16:10 monitor, so will I need patches to allow both games to run at that aspect ratio?

Should I get any texture packs? (as long as they don't detract from the style of either game)

Any other suggestions?

I think by default the in-game aspect ratio should fit your monitor, but the cut-scenes have been letterboxed to 4:3 by default. If you want the cutscenes to be at least 16:9, then I'd suggest getting the widescreen mod. Also, get the audio restoration mod to increase the quality of the voices. The audio restoration mod has so far improved the English dub for both games completely, and the Japanese dub for the first game. The second game Japanese dub is still being restored according to the mod creator.

I am displaying the game on a 16:10 monitor, so will I need patches to allow both games to run at that aspect ratio?

Should I get any texture packs? (as long as they don't detract from the style of either game)

Any other suggestions?

Follow this video and it transformed, especially the original game visually where it felt more like a remaster than simply HD rerelease.

I think by default the in-game aspect ratio should fit your monitor, but the cut-scenes have been letterboxed to 4:3 by default. If you want the cutscenes to be at least 16:9, then I'd suggest getting the widescreen mod. Also, get the audio restoration mod to increase the quality of the voices. The audio restoration mod has so far improved the English dub for both games completely, and the Japanese dub for the first game. The second game Japanese dub is still being restored according to the mod creator.
Thank you for your response.

I'll install:

Shenmue I & II - Widescreen Patcher by ner0

Shenmue I Audio Restoration Project (English) by Dewey (Sep 2018)
Shenmue I Better Textures v2.1 by Streamer2K

Shenmue II Audio Restoration Project (English) by Dewey (Nov 2018)

Last edited:
That video guide is from March 2019. I presume mods have moved on, since then?

I’m pretty sure all the essential mods you really need have remained the same and they improve/fix all the fundamental issues with releases I.e. 16x9 presentation in cutscenes, restoration of audio plus lots of awesome additions like HD texture packs for a lot of the environments, improved skyboxes, HD jacket and of course lightning mod for reshade.

I followed video a few months ago and it all worked perfectly,

Feel free to give a try to my texture pack. It is called "Better Textures" and it is a big texture overhaul for Shenmue I: For example, flora and vegetation textures which haven't aged well have been replaced with 2k-4k textures, as well as other textures like roads, walls, timex watch, ryo and landi clothes and other materials trying to remain true to the original visuals with every hd replacement.
Also, the installation process is very easy. As easy as copy-paste two files, you won't need to install Specialk nor anything else.

Here is the link if you want to take a look : https://www.nexusmods.com/shenmue/mods/30

Feel free to give a try to my texture pack. It is called "Better Textures" and it is a big texture overhaul for Shenmue I: For example, flora and vegetation textures which haven't aged well have been replaced with 2k-4k textures, as well as other textures like roads, walls, timex watch, ryo and landi clothes and other materials trying to remain true to the original visuals with every hd replacement.
Also, the installation process is very easy. As easy as copy-paste two files, you won't need to install Specialk nor anything else.

Here is the link if you want to take a look : https://www.nexusmods.com/shenmue/mods/30
Any recommended texture overhaul mods for Shenmue II?

Back